Author Topic: Morpeth  (Read 2733 times)

Offline KENBAKER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Morpeth
« on: Thursday 22 August 13 00:45 BST (UK) »
Has anyone any knowledge or photos of the King Crispin Public House, Newgate Street, Morpeth. My Grandmother ran this pub around the early 1900s.  Any info would be great.

Ken Baker
Wakefield.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morpeth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 August 13 08:05 BST (UK) »
There is reference to King Crispin INN, in Northumberland Look Up Requests, dated March, 2011,started by KenBaker. !!!

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 August 13 10:29 BST (UK) »
Ken

By cross-checking against previous Rootschat posts, I found your family's names George William and Elizabeth Cook

The trade/postal directories I have checked for the early part of the 1900's i.e. 1910/1915/1921 do not have the Morpeth pubs listed seperately, only a long alphabetical list of Morpeth residents. The 1910 entry :
COOK Mrs Elizabeth     King Crispin Inn, Newgate Street

infers that George William had either passed awy or was not the landlord.

There are various documents at Woodhorn (NBL Archives) about Morpeth's pubs. I will check for a photo.

PS - I see from the Lookups, you have already been sent photos by "Aspin". You already have the info from "Town Trails". What exactly do you still want to know????

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline KENBAKER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 August 13 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hello and thanks for your kindly reply.   Yes it is true I did have several replies to my original message but unfortunately some of  the info was incorrect and some I already did have.  I did indeed take up the info about the town trails and whilst the pub was mentioned twice in the copies I was able to get hold of,the comments were fairly non specific to the actual location in Newgate Street.  I am still trying to locate its actual position on Newgate and several places have been told to me !!! This is the main fact I am after.
I do in fact have photos of my Great grandmother and grandfather in the pub itself and two others of the family just outside on the steps. These photos were validated as correct by my Grandmother before she passed away.
As far as having been sent photos I do not recollect receiving any only promises that did not materialise but I apologise if the facts are different.
Sorry if you thought I was wasting the forum's time  :-* :-* but I can assure you that was my last thought.

Ken Baker

Wakefield.

Offline KENBAKER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Morpeth PS
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 August 13 14:54 BST (UK) »
P.S. to my last post.

I can see the reason why I thought I had not received the photos . Elizabeth did indeed contact me and did carry out a vist to the pub's area and send photos to me where the pub should be and that is 10 Newgate. Unfortunatly the house numbering system has changed twice since the 1900 and that is the reason I can not find where it actually was.   Thanks again Betty for your kind efforts and sorry if you thought I did not appreciate them. Mix ups like this are the reason I always join forums with my full name .

Ken

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 August 13 18:28 BST (UK) »
Have you seen a book called The Curious Yards and Alleyways of Morpeth by Bridget Gubbins? Several pubs/inns are mentioned, possibly King Crispins is too?

I was loaned a copy a few weeks ago but have now returned it.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline KENBAKER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 August 13 22:23 BST (UK) »
Someone told me about the book some years ago but I have not been as yet able toobtain a copy.   Still looking.

Ken

Offline NatashaWindham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 19:16 BST (UK) »
Now your post interested me to the point where I joined this group only so I could reply to it.

I've been researching George William Cook and his wife Elizabeth for a while now. After studying the 1911 census I realised they ran an inn and after Googling it I discovered this thread.

Elizabeth was my 2nd-Great-Grandfather's sister and I have spent many hours researching the family she was born into as well as her siblings.

Ken, we need to talk.

Offline KENBAKER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Natasha, George William Cook and Elizabeth Cook ( Windham ) were the parents of my Grandmother Elizabeth Baker (Cook ) who lived at the King Crispin Pub Morpeth. I have photos of the two family seniors . Elizabeth married Thomas Baker, my grandfather, who owned an iron foundry in Simonside which was hit by bombs in WW2 when his son Arnold, my Dad's brother was killed. Yes it would be nice to chat but not sure if we are allowed to post our telephone number or email addrtess on here.
Cheers for now,
Ken Baker  Wakefield West Yorkshire.