Author Topic: John Flett - Stebonheath?  (Read 16528 times)

Offline Jason46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Flett - Stebonheath?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 August 13 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for all the info - I will check it out on the sites mentioned. Yes, the Stebonheath  was John's ship, and he became a boat builder in Australia and family mythology has him being involved in the lengthening of the Black Swan. I visited Orkney and went to Garth (pronounced GERT) and it was also the name of John Smith's house in Williamstown. Furso still stands also and is an up-market villa for rent now. The Johnstons who now live at Garth are my cousins and they were very helpful when I was there. It could be a brother in law, not a brother as you don't know from the letter I have who was doing the talking. If you go to Andrew Kemp's page you will notice that he got much of his information from me many years ago.
Carpenter - Devon and Australia
Flett - Orkneys
Morrell - Antrim, France, Switzerland and Ballarat
Wilcher - Bermondsey and Birmingham
Roberts - Liverpool
Price - Monmouthshire
Smith - Orkneys
Barnsley - Cumberland
Discombe - Devon
Brewer - Devon
Torrington - Devon

Offline Jason46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 August 13 01:40 BST (UK) »
Hi!
Jane or Jean Flett did not come on the Black Swan in 1861. Her first child was born (and died) in Harray Orkney 18 Feb 1855 and her 2nd son, also John, was born in Williamstown Victoria 11 December 1860, so 1861 is out. Her daughter wrote many years later that Mum came on the White Swan, and if she did, it was between Feb 1855 and December 1860 - may be subtract up to 9 months. If she didn't, why did her husband say that she did????
Flett - Orkneys
Roberts - Liverpool
Price - Monmouthshire
Smith - Orkneys
Barnsley - Cumberland
Discombe - Devon
Brewer - Devon
Torrington - Devon

Offline Jason46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 August 13 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I have had no luck searching for Jane or Jean Flett coming to Australia between Feb 1855 when first baby born in Orkney, and Dec 1860 when 2nd baby born in Williamstown, Victoria, Australia. I believe that John did go on the Stebonheath and would have left when Jane was pregnant with their first child which would have died about 1 month after he landed in Australia. When I check under her maiden name I have 4 possibilities but the ages are inaccurate in 3 cases;
Maldon 1857, Jane 32 years old but should be 30,
Cairgorn 1855, 28 - correct
Herald 1859, 28 - should be 32
Annie Wilson 1859, 34 - should be 32.
How can I further check this information, please?
Flett - Orkneys
Roberts - Liverpool
Price - Monmouthshire
Smith - Orkneys
Barnsley - Cumberland
Discombe - Devon
Brewer - Devon
Torrington - Devon

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 August 13 10:46 BST (UK) »

A little discrepancy on dates etc. is that one son John shows as born on 11 Dec 1860 (death on  6 Jan 1861) Williamstown, Victoria

Did note the discrepancy on dates if second born John was showing as born in December in Williamstown. Has this been confirmed?

On any of the BMD registrations, was there no mention of how long John and Jane had been living in Australia?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 August 13 11:27 BST (UK) »
One more question from me (trying to think of ways for you to narrow down the date/years of Jean's passage to Australia). Where is the source for the birth of son (first born) John as being on 15 Dec. 1855? Can't see it  :-\

Scotlands People (SP), the official BMD site as mentioned, only have three births showing for a John Flett in the Orkneys between 1855-6 (sometimes births in late December are registered at the beginning of the following year). These three seem to match those showing on FamilySearch, I think, where there are also only 3 births showing between 1855-6 in Orkney:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQKP-R4D
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQKP-F78
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQKP-LSD

Can't see any births showing between 1854-1860 on familysearch where parents show as John Flett and Jane/Jean Smith. Similarly, there is only one death showing on SP in Orkney (across all the different parishes) for a John Flett between 1855-6. This death is registered in 1861 which seems too late with what you have.

Monica

Offline Jason46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 August 13 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
I have John Flett's birth and baptism Cert from the Society School in Harray and he lists the births and deaths of his 6 children underneath and he states that the first John was 'steal' born 15 February 1855 and the 2nd was born 11 December 1860 and died January 6 1861, the third John is also mentioned and I have his death certificate. The last 2 John's are both buried in Williamstown Cemetery
Flett - Orkneys
Roberts - Liverpool
Price - Monmouthshire
Smith - Orkneys
Barnsley - Cumberland
Discombe - Devon
Brewer - Devon
Torrington - Devon

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jason

Not sure on the 'steal' ref - wonder what that means? Wondering whether 'steal' could indicate a stillbirth, explaining why there was no birth or death cert for the baby (or none that I can find on SP)?

Did John father say first born was actually born/died in Harray?

Just thought that dates might help with wife Jane's possible travel dates that is all. Big gap from 1855 to 1860, although going by Trish's note earlier on a possible further arrival to Australia in 1856, likely John was away for long spells at a time following their marriage given his job.

Monica

Offline Jason46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
I agree 'steal' means still birth and the information I have is that it was in the Orkneys. I can't find her under Flett or Smith, nor can I find a brother or brother in law travelling with her. I have another great grandmother, Elizabeth Roberts, who also is an unrecorded arrival in Australia, but on a positive note, I found another great grandmother, Sarah Price arrived in South Australia with her family under the name of Paice - thanks to some clever detective work by Rootschatters. I wonder if Jane or Elizabeth possibly landed interstate or worked in some capacity on the boat????
Flett - Orkneys
Roberts - Liverpool
Price - Monmouthshire
Smith - Orkneys
Barnsley - Cumberland
Discombe - Devon
Brewer - Devon
Torrington - Devon

Offline Jason46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 July 14 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
I believe I have found when Jane Flett arrived - on the Black Swan in 1960 and the infant possibly belonged to Eliza Lowe who was the lady above her on the passenger list. Still chasing it up.
Flett - Orkneys
Roberts - Liverpool
Price - Monmouthshire
Smith - Orkneys
Barnsley - Cumberland
Discombe - Devon
Brewer - Devon
Torrington - Devon