Author Topic: Lightwood, Banchory Ternan  (Read 4100 times)

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lightwood, Banchory Ternan
« on: Thursday 22 August 13 12:46 BST (UK) »
According to the 1861 census John Reid, Tailor, and his wife Christian Reid, shopkeeper, were living at Lightwood, Banchory Ternan and had 3 rooms, but when I went to look at the Valuation Rolls for that period they were not mentioned.
Of course not really sure where abouts in Lightwood they were. I did visit the area and saw the school which is still there to-day, and we did notice an area just as you entered the drive to the school where there may have been living accommodation.
Can anyone shed some light on this please.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Lightwood, Banchory Ternan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 August 13 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Looking at the 1851 Census transcription there are 4 households(1 empty) between the Reid's and the School House(http://www.freecen.org.uk/)
The previous address(apart from Lightwood) is old Mill of Hirn.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/ (Enter Mill of Hirn in the search box , select 6 inch 1843-1882)
Old maps have Mill of Hirn to the East of Lightwood.
There appear to be buildings to the North of the School , and some to the East(also a Well)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 August 13 14:56 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.  I felt sure I would find them in the valuations Rolls, but no such luck.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 August 13 17:54 BST (UK) »
The census tells you that they were there on the night of the 7th April 1861. They may have moved shortly after. The indexed valuation rolls available through the National Archives are for 1855-56 and 1865-66. You would have to look in the valuation rolls for 1860-61 and 1861-62. Maybe these are the ones you have seen.

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 August 13 18:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I did look at some Valuations Rolls in the Aberdeen Archives when I visited there, but went through all the areas of Banchory ternan, with no luck.  I know most of the area was owned by the Burnett family, but I thought tenants names would have been listed. Another mystery.

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 August 14 18:11 BST (UK) »
Forgive me if I never replied to you, but last year my computer went down and I lost a lot of documents.