Author Topic: Brick wall - Daltrey in London  (Read 7835 times)

Offline Wood-dweller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brick wall - Daltrey in London
« on: Saturday 24 August 13 22:39 BST (UK) »
I've been researching my family tree and have been at a brick wall for years now. If anyone could please give me any info, pointers or leads, I'd be very thankful.

The surname I'm looking for is DALTREY and they are a line of ivory/bone carvers and fan makers from around Bow/Shoreditch area of London.

I've got back to James Daltrey who was christened in 1747 in Bishopsgate, London. His father is listed as James Daltrey and his mother as Lydia King. It's there that I get completely stuck as I can't find any birth record for the older James Daltrey. I have James down as being born in 1700 but don't know where that date actually came from.

I've found James' and Lydia's marriage record which says:

"James Daltry Widower and Lydia King Spinster, both of the parish of St. Saviour, Southwark, were married by license" On the record, it looks like it's listed as 1741 but I believe it may be 1742 instead. Also, although the record itself says "St. Saviour, the text lists it as being St. Martin, Ludgate.

I've found a possible match for James' first wife: Mary Lewis who he (presumably) married on 22nd January 1740 in the parish og St Bartholomew the Great. By October 1741, Mary has died in childbirth and also, their baby, William. This would then fit in with James marrying Lydia in 1742.

This is the earliest trace of James I can find and I'm stumped. I've found a family he would fit well with but can't link him to it. William and Jane who lived around the St Martin Vintry area for many years and had several children born a few years either side of 1700. I just can't find that link though!

One other possibility I've seen on other peoples' linked trees is James' father being listed as John Daltrey/Daultree b 14 May 1665 Dunnington Near York, Yorkshire and a few generations back from him. I've also seen James listed as having died 1755 Pontefract, St. Giles, Yorkshire. Is there any way I can find out if this is likely to be true? At the moment, I've seen no concrete evidence of him having lived anywhere outside of London :-/

My grandad always said we were Huguenots who came over from France and I think that, ultimately, we go back to the D'Hauterive (also called De Alta Ripa) family but I just can't find links to them, or even to the Huguenots.

Any help, advice or leads would be very welcome .. thank you :-)
Daltrey (Bow, London)
Wheatley (Poplar, London & Leicestershire)
Beadle (Lambeth, Surrey)
Millhouse (Poplar & Lincolnshire)
Pidwell (Limehouse, London & Falmouth, Cornwall)
Adam (Limehouse & Scotland)
Smith (Liverpool)
Allen (Liverpool & Dublin/Ireland)
Elms (Liverpool, London & Plymouth)
Thomas (Anglesey)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall - Daltrey in London
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 August 13 09:23 BST (UK) »
hi and welcome to rootschat .
can,t really help you but if you think there is a hugenot link why not look here www.hugenotsociety.org.uk  they have several pdfs on searching possible hugenot links .
hope this helps
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 August 13 11:40 BST (UK) »
Before you try to go any further backwards ...

"James Daltry Widower and Lydia King Spinster, both of the parish of St. Saviour, Southwark, were married by license" On the record, it looks like it's listed as 1741 but I believe it may be 1742 instead. Also, although the record itself says "St. Saviour, the text lists it as being St. Martin, Ludgate.

The image of the register shows that the marriage was at St Martin Ludgate, by licence, on 1 January 1742 (in the modern calendar, not 1741). Before 1752 the year began on Lady Day (25 March), and dates up to 24 March were reckoned as part of the previous year. Such dates are now often written in the form '1741/42', to avoid ambiguity.

Similarly, the earlier marriage to Mary Lewis was actually in 1741, not 1740.

When James and Lydia married at St Martin Ludgate, they were both resident in St Saviour Southwark. They will have married by licence because neither was resident in the parish where they married. Marriage by licence was an alternative to having banns read. One party had to swear an oath (allegation) that there was no legal impediment to the marriage, and he/she would forfeit a sum of money (bond) if the allegation later proved false.

This particular licence was issued by the Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury on 31 December 1741. The allegation and bond may give you a little more information, such as the name of the bondsman (who may be a relative), and perhaps an occupation. However, a father is unlikely to be named unless either spouse was under age.

The original allegations/bonds are held at Lambeth Palace, but there is a film at the Society of Genealogists Library in London, and there are also LDS films. If you don't have access to London, you could order a printout from the SoG microfilm, either via FindMyPast (if you subscribe) or directly from the Society itself.

http://www.sog.org.uk/the-library/search-copy-service/

Or post on the London & Middlesex Lookup Requests board for a lookup at the SoG library?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=239.0

Offline essaying_life

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Daltrey in London
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 January 14 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wood-dweller

Have you got round that brick wall?

I would be very interested to know if you gained information beyond James Daltrey (1700-1755) - presumably you are aware of the tree on Wikitree [ http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Daltrey-38 ] ?

I too am a decendent of James Daltrey, or so I believe. 

My mother who died in 2007 had done a lot of research but as far as I am aware she never concluded if we were descended from Huguenot refugees in the C17th
[ http://www.historytoday.com/robin-gwynn/englands-first-refugees ]
or from Daltreys who came over in 1066
[ http://www.1066.co.nz/library/battle_abbey_roll1/subchap191.htm ]

Any further thoughts on the Huguenot connection?

Kind regards

Michael

Offline spiller-daltrey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 February 14 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm banging my head on same brick wall though re Yorkshire link I don't think that works. I've seen it before on trees - a James was buried in 1755 in Pontefract (and possibly born 1700) but the London James was cited as father to Ann with Lydia a week later (!) in London and on land tax records in 1759 so not the same one.

Offline Wood-dweller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 March 15 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello again and sorry for not spotting your replies before now! You know you're going round in circles when you think you've hit on something good and it's just Google churning up your own forum posts!  ;D ??? I'm still beating my head on that wall .. how about you two, spiller-daltrey and essaying_life? I'm absolutely no further on at all.

I have looked at the Dawtreys who came over in 1066. They're a fascinating family and I spent quite some time reading up about them but I can't find a link. My own feeling is that there isn't a connection (unless it's far back before then) for a couple of different reasons:

- The Dawtrey family were obviously rather prosperous in the 1600s. When James Daltrey appears in 1740, he is rather ordinary - it would be quite a leap (though not impossible) from coming from a family with land and titles.

- The family story that I've always heard is that we were decended from Huguenots who came from France. I think the story of Dawtrey connections, as they're so interesting, would have been carried down for sure if the link was there .

I also agree that the link with Yorkshire seems dodgy, though there are obviously a clump of Daltreys there at around the time we're looking at. I've also found Daltreys in Gainsborough but ruled them out as improbable.

My own hunch at the moment is to look further into these traces:

London land tax records
William Daltrey – Farringdon Without, City of London – 1692
William Daltrey – Vintry, City of London – 1725/1726/1728

I've also found my notes from last time I was looking. Please excuse the lack of sense in them but they're just thoughts as I went along. As follows:

Freeman of London records
Record 1
(which Ancestry has listed as being for 1686):
Willsford, son of William Dealtrie of “Brick Hill Land” and part of the Company of Dyers was made Freeman of London in 1686 - although the record is written like a sum: 1686
                                                                                   38
                                                                               -------
                                                                                1724
Possibly the correct date could be 1724?
(This date is important to tie it in with a birth record for Willsford further down these notes)
Possibly, “Brick Hill Land” Could be “Brick Hill Lane”, St. Martin Vintry although I would need to verify that this lane existed at that time.

Record 2:
Thomas Dealtrey, son of Willsford Dealtrey of Nottingham (... Former deceased?) puts himself apprentice to John Bennett citizen and cutler of London.
(Though further down in my notes there is a birth record showing Willsford as being christened in Saint Martin, Vintry, London so why would it list him on the apprentice records as being from Nottingham? This record may be nothing to do with "our" Daltreys and just a co-incidence)

A hunch …

Could Willsford be James’ brother? Could William be his father? 

While looking for clues of this, I’ve found traces of a family from around the same time. They were baptised/christened at St. Martin Vintry. The parents are William and Jane Doltrey. Their children are shown as being christened in 1689, 1697 and 1705 so time-wise, they would fit as siblings for James. It’s a long shot but possible … ?

William Dolltrey m. Jane Willsford 04 Apr 1689 (Saint James Dukes Place, London)

Samuell Daltrey b. 1689 (St. Lawrence Jewry and St. Mary Magdalen Milk Street, London)
Susana Doltrey b.1697 (Saint Martin – Vintry, London)
Willsford Daltrey b.1705 (Saint Martin – Vintry, London)

Of course, the only problem with the above theory is that I simply can't find the birth/christening record for James! Any thoughts you have about it all would be very welcome  :)
Daltrey (Bow, London)
Beadle (Lambeth, Surrey)
Smith (Liverpool)
Thomas (Anglesey)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 March 15 02:44 BST (UK) »
Freeman of London records
Record 1
(which Ancestry has listed as being for 1686):
Willsford, son of William Dealtrie of “Brick Hill Land” and part of the Company of Dyers was made Freeman of London in 1686 - although the record is written like a sum: 1686
                                                                                   38
                                                                               -------
                                                                                1724
Possibly the correct date could be 1724?
(This date is important to tie it in with a birth record for Willsford further down these notes)

The year given in Ancestry's transcription (1686) is incorrect. The record isn't dated on the front where it should be, although there is a printed 17... for the year at the top. Ancestry's source information shows February-July 1744, which looks a lot more feasible. This would be the year that Willsford was admitted to Freedom.

The year 1686 is when Willsford's father William Dealtry became a Freeman. A son could be admitted to Freedom by patrimony (as here) only if his father had been admitted to Freedom before the son was born.

To validate this, the father’s date of admission is checked in the relevant register and recorded here (3 March 1686). As a double-check, the age of the son who is applying for admission (38) is then added to the year of the father’s admission (1686), to ensure that the total (1724) comes to less than the current year (1744).

So if Willsford was honest about his age (38 in 1744) he would have been born around 1706.

NB It is indeed Brick Hill Lane (not Land).

Offline Wood-dweller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 March 15 15:05 BST (UK) »
Bookbox, that's really helpful - thank you! It all makes sense when you know how to read it properly :-)

I'm banging my head on same brick wall though re Yorkshire link I don't think that works. I've seen it before on trees - a James was buried in 1755 in Pontefract (and possibly born 1700) but the London James was cited as father to Ann with Lydia a week later (!) in London and on land tax records in 1759 so not the same one.

Spiller, yes, I agree that the Yorkshire James is very unlikely. It just doesn't sit right at all, although I notice that so many people have added him to their records!

My own feeling is that James' birth record is probably there but mis-transcribed so I'm planning to try trawling through and seeing if I spot anything. One other thought I had on it all (which goes against my theory of him fitting in with the family above) is that he's often listed as being born around 1700 but that would make him about 40 when he was first married and 41 before his first child was born. He would have been 55 when his last child was born. I wonder if his birth date needs to be shifted about 10 - 15 years later to 1710 - 1715.

Will let you know if I find anything out :-)
Daltrey (Bow, London)
Beadle (Lambeth, Surrey)
Smith (Liverpool)
Thomas (Anglesey)

Offline essaying_life

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 March 15 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Good to hear from you - I have only recently picked this up again myself, so your renewed interest is timely.  But I am afraid I dont have great deal to add at this stage in terms of evidence, and to-date have been greatly helped by others (Spiller particularly to thank).  For now I offer a few observations:
1. I think the fact there was also a belief in our line that there was a Huguenot connection is possibly significant, but evidence is only circumstantial.  I have also been reninded this week that there was also a seperate story in our line of "three brothers" who came over (no context though!).
2. Focusing on the knowns - I think it is significant Lydia was baptised in Nonconfomist chapel and James Daltrey (b.1747), wife, and many decendants were buried in Nonconformist burialgrounds.
I think that is significant for a number of reasons - including one possibility to be considered - that James elder was a Baptist - as if so there would potentially be no infant baptism - in most cases though (as I understand) there would be a birth record - But note - Protestant Dissenters' Registry of Births from Dr Williams Library only started in 1716 - so may have just missed James.  Just a speculative thought.

Keen to continue.

Michael