Author Topic: Robert Kelso  (Read 24207 times)

Offline therave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Kelso
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hey there! 

Have no info to provide that would help you in your search, but I am also on the hunt for a Robert Kelso and sometimes it helps to just put it all out there. 

Robert Kelso c1800 had a son, Edward c1826.  Edward had a half-sister named Esther (Hessy) Kelso who had a child baptized 1843, so she was presumably older than Edward.  Unless there was a Kelso=Kelso marriage or an adoption, I am assuming they shared a father until I learn otherwise. 

Edward Kelso m Matilda McComb of Larne, Antrim, in 1852, and his father is listed as Robert, occupation gentleman. The couple had at least one child, John Kirk Kelso c1856, though unsure whether he was born Antrim Town or Donaghadee, Down.  John Kirk Kelso eventually emigrated to Ballarat, Australia, where he married Elizabeth Carman and had at least one daughter, Lillian Kirk Kelso. 

Edward left shares in his will to the 2nd Presbyterian and the Primitive Wesleyan Methodist Congregations in Antrim Town.  Why both?

Edward's half-sister Hessy (Esther) Kelso appears to have married a Catholic, Daniel Sheils.  No record found as yet.  They had at least three children, all bapd St Patrick's RC Belfast:  John Charles 1843, Elisa 1844, and Anne 1847. 

Edward's will says "late of Donaghadee," when his will was drawn up in 1857, but his executors were residents of Antrim Town.  He died in 1859, so sad - his son was about three years old!  My thinking is he knew he was ill and relocated for his health - but that is just a theory. 

Hessy Sheils (Hester Shields) lived in Ballynafeigh, County Down, now part of South Belfast, in 1862 and moved to Birkenhead, Cheshire, England c1873 with her daughter Elizabeth (Rice), and where she died in 1892.

No idea if Anne Sheals b1847 survived.  John Charles Sheils lived, procreated, and died in Ballynafeigh (Down, Ormeau on census).

Derry hadn't even been considered as the origin of Robert until I saw Tamlaght O'Crilly on a map and realized its proximity to County Antrim, and could possibly answer why Edward set up shop in Antrim Town or how he even met a girl from Larne. 

No siblings mentioned in Edward's will other than Hessy.  If Edward's marriage record is correct, he was born 1826, so I would imagine his parents' marriage would have taken place not long before then. 

What struck me as unusual was the emigration of so many Kelsoes from Derry to Australia, and I was wondering if John Kirk Kelso may have known another Kelso who was already there before emigrating. 

Also curious is his name, JOHN KIRK Kelso, and his daughter LILLIAN KIRK Kelso.  Who were these Kirk people? There is a John Kirk, Loan Fund Manager, in Antrim Town in 1852 street directory, but I have yet to connect the name Kirk with Kelso as yet. 

Any help to further my search would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
Derry hadn't even been considered as the origin of Robert until I saw Tamlaght O'Crilly on a map and realized its proximity to County Antrim, and could possibly answer why Edward set up shop in Antrim Town or how he even met a girl from Larne. 

Tamlaght O'Crilly is indeed near County Antrim border but not near Larne or even that close to Antrim (town).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline therave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 01 September 17 01:03 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey: 20 miles, not so far if he were looking for a substantial town in which to make and sell his watches and clocks. 

Maybe he moved to Antrim because the John Kirk, Loan Fund Society Manager, was a relative as Edward's son was named John Kirk Kelso?

Dr. Thomas McCombe, his future BIL, was the workhouse medical officer in town and probably how he met his wife to be, though she lived in Larne.

Offline gjkelso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 05 November 17 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
After much research the name Edward does not appear at all in my line,if i do find any information at all i will pass it on. After checking the Valuation Revision records for house 19 in Drumlane lists tenants from 1866 onward are John Kelso, Robert Jr,  Mary Sarah then Thomas B Kelso. Robert's father on wedding certificate was John ,any ideas why Robert is listed as junior.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 05 November 17 09:54 GMT (UK) »
The practice to distinguish between multiple people (usually men) of the same name in a particular townland in Ireland as explained by eadaoin is quite common and found frequently in sources like Griffith's Valuation.
However, there is (at least in Ulster) the use of Junior and Senior to distinguish between men of the same name but not in the same way of using them for a father and son.
For example, in 1860 there are 2 men called John Kennedy in the same townland (may or may not be related or at least closely related) so the older is called Senior and the younger called Junior. By 1870 the older one is dead but he had a son John who lived in the family home- he is now called John Junior and the other one (John Junior in 1860) has become known as John Senior. This can continue for generations and often causes confusion when trying to sort out which one is which.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!