Author Topic: Robert Kelso  (Read 24223 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Kelso
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 September 13 09:33 BST (UK) »
I'm having a bit of trouble following the logic of these posts- perhaps you are making things more difficult for yourself or have other details you haven't posted yet.

Starting from the beginning- you have a Robert Kelso with children Joseph, William, Daniel, Mary Maria and David who immigrated to Australia. Son "Joseph married Matilda Graham in 1877 at Tamlaght O’Crilly and come to Townsville Queensland."
So, what's listed on the 1877 marriage certificate for Joseph's residence (townland)? What's listed for his father's name and occupation? names of 2 witnesses? (all these details may make it easier to find links to the correct Kelso family- it is a fairly common surname in the area).
What about Australian records? any marriage or death certificates for the children who went there which list names of both parents?

There are quite a few record available in ireland which might help but you need to work back step by step to avoid following the wrong family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gjkelso

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 04:15 BST (UK) »
Firstly thanks again all for your helpful posts. I have posted information regarding Shaw and James Alexander, mainly as a possible match, as they both are from the same area in Ireland and emigrated to the same area in Australia around the same time period.

In reply to aghadowey’s query, both Joseph and Matilda’s residence at the time of marriage was Timaconway.  Joseph’s father was Robert and Matilda’s father Samuel Graham.  All male’s occupation listed as labourers.  Witnesses were Daniel Kelso and George Eakin. 

On death certificate of Joseph Kelso, his mother is also listed as Matilda Graham.
This is confusing as both Joseph’s wife and mother are listed as Matilda Graham.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 09:10 BST (UK) »
If you had Timaconway as their residence why on earth did you say "I think maybe around Fallohogey" in your original post  ???

Offline gjkelso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 11:20 BST (UK) »
Fallohogey is listed as Roberts birth place not Josephs residence.

Offline gjkelso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 October 13 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hello again, with further researching and help from other posts I think maybe Robert lived at (plot 18b) on John Armstrong’s farm on Fallahogey road around 1858. Also as I am having problems with place names, do the births seem to be of a similar area .  Robert Kelso Born abt 1836 around Fallahogey ,  Joseph born abt 1857 Lislea, Daniel born 1858 Unknown, William Albert born 1861 Fallahogey, John born 1864 Kilrea, Mary Maria born 1865 Tellighocibb,Dublin and David born 1866  Kilrea , also a long shot Will of Robert Kelso late of Old Row Kilrea County Londonderry Labourer who died 7 January 1911 at Drumlane. also thanks for your previous posts as the have helped me alot.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 October 13 09:44 BST (UK) »
John Kelso born 1864 Kilrea district- parents Robert Kelso & Matilda Kelso (not Graham)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRHP-KHC
David Kelso born 1866 Kilrea district- parents Robert Kelso & Matilda Kelso
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5J7-QYF

Is this what you are basing Mary's birth on?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/MWF4-D4V
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/AUS-QLD/2007-04/1175565186

Two things bother me about Mary's details-
1) date- John born March 1864 and David born March 1866 so if born 1865 then little time to fit in a pregancy after John and before David
2) place- even more troubling than the date. All the other places are in the Kilrea area (farm labours did move around) but Dublin seems unlikely and I can't find a townland with that name (or anything similar).
Is there actually proof that Mary is the daughter of Robert Kelso & Matilda Kelso?

A recent thread of yours on another forum?
http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.britisles.ireland.ldy.general/8339/mb.ashx

Will have another look at some local sources

Offline gjkelso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 October 13 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey thanks for your response ,yes that thread is mine. The reason I have Mary Maria down is from other Local family trees which all have at least one or two of the other siblings in them and all of them list Robert and Matilda as parents. Mary Fletcher (Kelso) death certificate 17 Feb 1909,  lists parents as Robert Kelso and Matilda Kelso, also all other trees seem to come to a dead end at Robert like me.

Offline gjkelso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Have found a Matilda Kelso Born 1843 at Tellighocibb Dublin(Family Search) the same place as Mary Maria but can not locate this area at all could it perhaps be the name of some Farm or House

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Looks like this might be the record for Matilda Kelso that you found? It is a submitted family tree which is not the same as an extracted record and shows Matilda born 1843 (no place) & daughter Mary born 'Tellighocibb." You will notice that Matilda's husband Robert 'Kelson' is supposed to be born 1839- this is, I think, just the LDS default which makes wife 4 years younger than husband and so should be taken with a pinch of salt.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/MWF4-D4V

Now, there were quite a few Kelsos in Dublin so it's possible Matilda was from there and that she had a child born there. However, it is most unlikely that a Kelso from Co.Londonderry would marry a Kelso from Dublin, have children in Co.Derry, 1 in Dublin and then more in Co.Derry. Civil registration of non-Catholic marriages began in 1845 so if Robert Kelso (born 1839) and Matilda Kelso (born 1843) married in Ireland the marriage should appear in the civil registration index and be easily checked. I can't see a marriage that fits which makes the LDS tree more suspect.

See that someone was looking for same family earlier this year-
https://www.facebook.com/GenealogyResearchAssistant/posts/470823082990794

Added to that is the place "Tellighocibb, Dublin" which perhaps has come from an Australian record?
Now, unless someone can come up with this (or similar name) in Co. Dublin, then I suspect this it might actually be a mixed-up phonetic spelling of Tamlaght O'Crilly. If the original record gave Mary Maria's birthplace as 'Tellighocibb, Ireland' and then the sublmitter of the LDS tree put in that as Mary Maria's birthplace it is possible that a drop-down box appeared and they then clicked on Dublin by mistake.