Author Topic: Wilson Rowntree - Douglas Wilson  (Read 8595 times)

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilson Rowntree - Douglas Wilson
« on: Monday 26 August 13 00:31 BST (UK) »
I believe Douglas Wilson (born about 1898) was a director of Wilson Rowntree in the late 1950's based in East London. Can anyone tell me if there would be any information on him in a Who's Who or something like that?
I am trying to track the family and have lost them after about 1970.The last known address I have dates back to 1967 in East London. I would be pleased to hear from anyone who may have any suggestions on the way forward.
Do electoral rolls exist or even old telephone books that one could do a look up in.
Hoping someone can help.

Offline braw

• RootsChat Senior
  • South Africa Bloemfontein
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson Rowntree - Douglas Wilson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 11:00 BST (UK) »
Wilson Rowntree was based in St Pauls Road East London and was taken over by Nestle South Africa in 1988 so maybe contacting their HR dept could provide some further info. Douglas David born 25/1/1898 died and  cremated in East London on 7/1/1969. If you need any futher dates of burial for this family please let me know and I will check my records for you.
Rgs

Bruce

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Bruce

Thanks for the information it gets me a little closer to finding the family. I have already got his wife's date of death as well as some other family members. I know they had two daughter's who I presume are still alive but have no clues on their married names. The tip about getting in touch with HR at Nestle South sounds good.
Any tips are great.
Many thanks
Pam

Offline braw

• RootsChat Senior
  • South Africa Bloemfontein
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 07:05 BST (UK) »
The original company JR Wilson & Co, confectioners was founded in 1901 in East London by two scottish brothers James and Robert Wilson so the the chances are good that one of the them is the father of Douglas

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 23:48 BST (UK) »

Yes, Douglas is the son of James Anderson Wilson.I have tracked several brothers as well although it is really the wife (Olga) of Douglas who is related to me. I got a bit side tracked on the Wilson family.
Trying to track this family has been difficult as I live in the UK and although I have read up on South African genealogy it is not easy tracing people in more recent times.
You were kind enough to provide the death date of Douglas and I do have a question. As it is a more recent date can anybody apply to get copies of the will or death notices as we can do so here in the UK.
Thanks
Pam

Offline mblake4u

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 October 14 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Kentishkiwi,

I'm related to the original Wilsons who started the Wilson sweet factory in East London, South Africa. My grandmother was Ruth Wilson, daughter of Herbert Wilson who worked for (I think it was) his uncle who was one of the original founders (after he served in the war).

Send me a message if you'd like to get in touch.

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 October 14 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
It was great to see a message here after such a long time.
As I said on my post I am related to Olga Wilson, Douglas's wife. Olga was my father's cousin. I have read about Herbert. James, Douglas father was out in the Cape before Robert his brother and started the Wilson Sweet Factory in 1895 and then Robert joined him and in 1901 the company became J & R Wilson and Co. There is a book on Google about Rowntree's history and it contains quite a bit on the Wilsons.
I didn't know where Herbert fitted in. i thought he was Robert's son. I know both he and Douglas worked together in the company with Robert as managing director in the early days.

i would be pleased to hear from you.

I can't send a PM as you need to post 3 messages on RootsChat. Look forward to hearing from you.

Pam

Offline kentishkiwi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 October 14 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi mblake4u

As I said I can't send a PM to you until you post 3 messages here. i have since been digging into the Wilson family history and I am sure Herbert is Robert's son. Look forward to hearing from you.

Pam

Offline FergusChance

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 July 17 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,

I am writing from Harare, Zimbabwe sadly without further information for your query, but to ask if, in your research, you have come across any sort of archives or useful resources for the Wilson Rowntree factory or East London? The reason I ask is that I own a 1932 Chrysler sedan imported new to East London from Detroit, USA, where it was built, and the first owner was apparently someone of high rank in the Wilson Rowntree business. I am told that it came to Rhodesia the following year but I really would like to try and gather some of its South African history, particularly period photos of the car.

Thank you and I look forward to your response.

Regards

Fergus