Author Topic: marriage of Griffiths/Newill 1880  (Read 824 times)

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage of Griffiths/Newill 1880
« on: Monday 26 August 13 21:59 BST (UK) »
I have found an announcement in a newspaper of the Rev William Henry Griffiths marrying Mary Newill in the Parish Church of Old Chorlton on 6 Jan 1880.    I cannot find this on FindMyPast & would like to know the name of his father & his occupation.   Would someone please be kind enough to do a look up for me, please?

Her father was the late Henry Newill Esq. British Resident of Travancore, & of H M Civil Service in India.  She was born in India in 1856 & William H Griffiths was born in West Bromwich in 1851.
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: marriage of Griffiths/Newill 1880
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 August 13 22:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry can't see details of the marriage but there is a baptism 1 June 1851 All Saints West Brom parents John and Mary that could be him.

If you wanted to order the marriage certificate it's Mar 1880 Woolwich Vol 1d Page 1139
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 00:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying.  I know about the baptism of a WHG with parents John & Mary but I can't be positive that's him as there are several b between 1851 & 52 in the West Bromwich & Wolverhampton area, & I think the marriage will be a better bet giving his father's name & occupation.
Thanks again, Amberly.
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 August 13 21:46 BST (UK) »
Accordingto 1861 census the only William Griffiths bn West Brom 1851 is living with his parents John and Mary Griffiths at at11 Hill Top West Bromwich with his 5 siblings. John Griffiths' occupation is shown as Coal Agent.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 August 13 03:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying & taking the time to look up the census for me.    With your info I think I must come to the conclusion that John & Mary were his parents, because unless I pay for the cert there's no other way of being certain.   I contacted Lichfield Theological College but they didn't keep records of the fathers' names, so that drew a blank.    So John & Mary it is!
Thanks again, Amberly.

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 August 13 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi the marriage was at Woolwich, Kent (Freebmd) which would cover ' Old Charlton' not Chorlton Lancashire.

Can't see the actual marriage details though to tell me the Father's name.

Found Wm 1871 age 20 as a Theological Student
                 1881 as a rector
                 1911 at a Vicarage in Clerkenwell, London
                 1939 his will after his death in London

1861 there were a couple of different records, one for an industrial school- cathedral section ??

Hope this is of some help
regards
Shirley
ex Londoner in Oz
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 August 13 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirley,
Thanks for all this.   I have acres of info on the family except who his parents were for sure.     My favourites are definately John & Mary as they seem to fit well but as yet I have no definate proof, but am going along with that for now.   Old Chorlton was a mistype on my part I know it was Charlton, & they were married in the Parish Church of St Luke's.    Think I may contact the church & see if they'll do a look up in their PR's for me. 
Once again thanks for your interest & help.
Amberly.

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 September 13 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Amberley

Glad to (try to) help. I looked to see if either of William's parents had moved in with the family at all as they sometimes do, and if there was anything more definite than "West Bromwich" to go on.

Happy Hunting anyway
Shirley

Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey