Author Topic: Paupers death entry(*Completed with thanks*)  (Read 1786 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Paupers death entry(*Completed with thanks*)
« on: Tuesday 27 August 13 08:16 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me regarding my GGG Grandmother Jane MEIN(Black)

On the 1851 census for Jericho she is 75 and a pauper. Can't find her death entry or burial place. Her husband John died 26 March 1848 ( no death entry either) even though he left a will.

Will there be church records to help.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Paupers death entry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 22:58 BST (UK) »
There is a Jane Mein in the 1861 census, age 85 at Holywood Village Grocer's Shop. She is with her married daughter, Janet Rae. Is this your Jane? If this is her then she would have died after 1861 and there should be a death certificate for her on ScotlandsPeople web site. You can search with either her married or maiden surname, but need to allow for flexible spelling. Make sure you choose the "name variant" options.

There won't be a death certificate for John Mein as civil registration didn't start in Scotland until 1855. Unfortunately, burial records were not kept well in Scottish OPRs so many parishes simply don't have extant burial records.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the detailed information. Have been looking for my 3xGrandparents for sometime now.

This is my GGG Grandmother Jane Mein living with her daughter at Holywood. Got her death entry - she died July 12 1865 aged 89 Parish of Holywood. Can't make out the village though ?Willington

Now I know Jane's parents -  her father was a John Mein, too. Now to find her burial place.

Yes, civil registration didn't start in Scotland until 1855 but, as John left a will, I thought his death might have been in the papers. Probably never find his burial place.

Regards

cupcake

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 11:52 BST (UK) »
If you post a pic of that part of the death certificate, RootsChatters will help you decipher it.

An OS map at http://maps.nls.uk from 1861 has a village called Wellington that is right next door to Holywood. Go to http://maps.nls.uk/view/74426680 and increase the size of the map. Given the rural location, she'd most likely have been buried at the nearest kirk. The same would apply to her husband John.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Wellington seems to be the name of the village. Wasn't sure at first if the first letter was an M or W.

Have looked at the map and now have an idea where she died in 1865.Will be interesting to visit the area. Will have to do some research to find her burial place. She isn't in the Holywood churchyard.

Her husband doesn't appear to be in the area where he died, as I have searched, but, without burial records it is very difficult.

Many thanks for all your detailed help. Very much appreciated.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 19:47 BST (UK) »

Hi again,

I am a tad confused and wonder whether you can help.

On SP I got the only death entry that fits in with Jane MEIN living with her daughter. As she was on the 1861 census I put in the years 1861/1870. It gives her father as John MEIN which may be correct, as I don't know who her father was. Her mother's maiden name is wrong, though, should be Black and not Corrie. Could this be an error.

So, I found her daughter's death entry for 1875, but they have her father as James MEIN but her mother's maiden name is correct. ( This could have been an error with her son-in-law when he registered the death).

regards

cupcake