Author Topic: ring hurd  (Read 15645 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ring hurd
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 01 March 14 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Having drawn breath - the crucial element still concerns Ring Hurd and a mother.  If Dorothy Hurd was buried in 1780 then she couldn't have been Ring's mother - according to the information supplied on this thread, he was born in 1781 (an 'advance', by the way, on his previously supposed birth, c. 1782-3).

So: did Philip, father, marry again?  Or is there a mistake in the entry for Dorothy's burial?

I need also to be quite sure that the list of Philip Hurd's family does include the two children who died young, Martha and Thomas; and who, like Ring, would, surely, have been the children of someone other than Dorothy.

It then remains to consider Philip, son of Patience, who also carried the name 'Price'.  In view of the revelatory example of 'base born' children of Mary Hayward and then a subsequent union, it may be that this Philip was the product of yet another liasion, this time between Patience Rogers and a 'Price'.  Or is this stretching things too far?

The subsequent family history is fascinating in itself.

I should add that it is also very gratifying to have the 'extra' details that delineate parts of Hurd's progress - for instance, those that mark Hurd's involvement with the King's Bench; and a date of 1804 for his emergence as some sort of printer...These are particularly valuable for my tracing of his work issuing broadside ballads - the ultimate objective is to quantify this sphere of activity.

In this regard, perhaps it's worth indicating that there are two periods when Hurd issued ballads that would seem to mark his entry into the field; the first - as far as I can gauge it - when he worked our of 'Shaston' and the second from 'Shaftesbury'.  The first period has sixteen ballads that look back in time for material and inspiration - the characters in the ballads seem to me to smack of an eighteenth century habitat.  The second period (seventeen ballads) contains practically all of Hurd's output that is based on known historical dates and they set him firmly in the second decade of the nineteenth century as printer of such ballads (a 'murder' ballad from 1813; another ballad on the death of Princess Charlotte in 1817 and so on); and one pushing the continuity of his work into the third decade of the new century - a ballad on the death of Queen Caroline in 1821.

It looks as if 'Shaston' and 'Shaftesbury' were interchangeable as descriptions; and I'm reasonably sure that 'Shaftesbury' did, indeed, come second in the time-scale.  If there are any comments on this, I'd like to have them.

May I say how grateful I am to all correspondents for help given.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 01 March 14 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Dorothy Hurd Buried 1780 was the  CHILD of Philip/Dorothy!
BurialDate   23 Dec 1780
Forename   Dorothy
Relationship   daughter of
Rel1MaleForename   Philip
Rel1FemaleForename   Dorothy
Surname   HURD

So Dorothy Hurd nee RING was still alive and Philip/Dorothy Baptised other Children after Ring ie Thomas/Martha who both died young.

Whether she was a live post 1799 when Philip died only his Will would confirm.

EDIT, Looked at Will, very hard to read, but looks like Dorothy was alive in 1799.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 01 March 14 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I just want to query this Roly;
Philip PRICE Hurd, son of Patience, Hurd's first wife, was the only issue; and he died in 1835.

PHILIP RING Hurd
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975   
christening: 27 July 1814 St. Peter, Shaftesbury, Dorset, England
Parents RING/PATIENCE

Burial;
Name: Philip Ring Hurd
Burial Date: 4 Aug 1835
Parish: Shaftesbury

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 01 March 14 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Trish: if I read you right, then you're suggesting that the Dorothy who died in 1780 was Philip's daughter and not his wife, Dorothy.  I will try to get a look at the relevant will to see if Dorothy the mother was still alive in 1799.  I guess it would help if another death notice was to emerge - that of Dorothy the mother.

I'm not too sure about the import of your Philip Ring Hurd note.  You put 'Ring' and 'Patience' together...Are you suggesting that 'Ring' was the father of Philip (and that Hurd was not?).   Alternatively, am I just being dim-witted?

Bear with me...

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 01 March 14 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Roly look at the Parish Register Entry on FreeREG for the 1780 Burial, it states what i have posted twice now.
www.freereg.org.uk

Didnt Ring marry Patience 1814?
Then that is their Child Philip Ring Hurd.
Check the entry on Familysearch.Org
The Burial is on Anc.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 01 March 14 13:33 GMT (UK) »
OK...Point taken...

roly

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 01 March 14 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if I was a bit terse having a frustrating search on another subject.

Trish :)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 01 March 14 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Not at all.  I'm probably very picky and - duh!

roly

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Ah.  Now I remember...But - more seriously - the recent question was an attempt to clarify one particular point in amongst a whole gamut that I've been assembling since.

I take your suggestion that people moved, as 'twere, without giving notice.

Many thanks for uyour patience - and a H NY to uyou too.

roly