Author Topic: Dewar families  (Read 3949 times)

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dewar families
« on: Tuesday 27 August 13 12:47 BST (UK) »
My great x3 grandmother  Helen (or Hellen) Dewar was baptised 30 June 1800 in Fortingall.
 It was suggested she may be related to the John Dewar of whisky fame who was born in 1805 or 1806 in Dull.
 After doing some research I have established that Helen's parents were John Dewar and Janet Cumming, married in Fortingall in 1791.
John Dewar snr, the spirit merchant that started the business made famous by his sons John A. Dewar and Tommy R Dewar, was the son of John Dewar and Janet Scott, married 1793.
So if my x3 great grandmother was related it must be further back, but I haven't found the link.
Does anyone know of a good source of information relating to these families, or is it a hard slog through Scotland's People?
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline Gavin Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dewar families
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 17:02 GMT (UK) »
My Family Tree has Dewars from Perthshire who eventually moved to Glasgow.
Alexander Dewar (b 1822) married (20/Aug/1847 Redgorton) Euphemia Gloag (b 21/Apr/1827, Tibbermore).
Alexander was a shoe maker.
I've only found 1 child so far,
Robert Dewar (b abt 1850) married (29/Dec/1872 Dundee) Elizabeth McKenzie (b abt 1851)
Robert was a boot closer. Elizabeth was a Factory Hand Spinner.
They had at least 5 children
Mary (b abt 1874)
Euphemia (b abt 1876)
Robert (b abt 1878)
James (b abt 1880)
William Connell (b 11/Nov/1881)
Wilson's of Fife & the Lothians
Bruce's of Aberdeenshire
Fell's of Lanarkshire
Dewar's of Dundee & Glasgow
Kay's of Glasgow & Leith & East Lothian
Dickson/Blair/Golightly of East Lothian

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 January 24 22:36 GMT (UK) »
rdarby

What happened to your Dewar family after they left Tempar?  We wondered if they had emigrated like the Stewarts in Tempar.

There were quite a lot of Dewar families living at Tempar  in the 1750s, 1760s and later

Our main interest is the Cumming line but you never know when you might pick up cousins etc at a later date.

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 January 24 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply - its been a long time since this post was put up!
I don't know much about the Dewars or Cummings other than that Janet Cumming's daughter Helen married Thomas Hill and ended up in Bebington, not far from Birkenhead.
I see some other family trees on Ancestry that have Janet Cumming died in Killin at the age of 94, but this is not my Janet Cumming who was married with the name Hill.
There are some trees with earlier generations of Cummings, but I am sceptical of the details they have put up.
Helen and Thomas Hill had a daughter Jane who married Michael Hannaghan - this is my line from their descendants.
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 January 24 08:53 GMT (UK) »
We can find half a dozen children baptised in Glamis, Monifieth and Mains up until 1833.

There does not seem to be marriage banns in any of the OPRs.  Do you have a date?

Had Thomas Hill and his family left Scotland before the 1841 census?

As for the parentage of Helen Cumming, we have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities - assuming that she has a baptism in the OPRs.

Many thanks, Throth

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 January 24 03:37 GMT (UK) »
The census records for Helen Dewar that married Thomas Hill indicate she was born in Angus. Both censuses in Scotland and England. She is likely the daughter of William Dewar and Beatrix Lamb, born at Newtyle.

The child naming scheme does not fit for John Dewar and Janet Cumming.

I believe the trees are incorrect.
Researching McKercher, McKerchar, McKerracher, McKericher and the families of Fortingall, Weem, Kenmore, Killin and Dull parishes.

www.mckercher.org

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 January 24 11:05 GMT (UK) »
I don't know much about the Dewars or Cummings other than that Janet Cumming's daughter Helen married Thomas Hill and ended up in Bebington, not far from Birkenhead.
I see some other family trees on Ancestry that have Janet Cumming died in Killin at the age of 94, but this is not my Janet Cumming who was married with the name Hill.
There are some trees with earlier generations of Cummings, but I am sceptical of the details they have put up.
Surely it was Helen Dewar who married Thomas Hill, not Janet Cumming or Dewar who married a Hill?

You are very wise to distrust any online tree.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 January 24 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes, as I said, Helen Dewar married Thomas Hill. Their daughter, Jane Hill, married Michael Hanaghan.
Looking at this again, I can't be sure about Helen Dewar's parents.
I can only see 3 Helen Dewar births on Ancestry or Scotland's people now and none were to John Dewar and Janet Cumming, so I can't remember where I got that from!
I can't see William Dewar and Beatrix Lamb as Kmaleski suggests.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 January 24 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I can only see 3 Helen Dewar births on Ancestry or Scotland's people now and none were to John Dewar and Janet Cumming, so I can't remember where I got that from!

Don't waste your time with Ancestry. See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

The reason you can't find Helen's baptism again is that in the record she is spelled Hellen. You need to search for *el*n* to find a Helen and all her variants - Ellen, Helen, Hellen, Elinor, Eleanor etc etc.

And the baptism of the daughter of William D and Beatrix Lamb spells the surname Dewars. You need to search for D*w*r* to pick up all of this family.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.