Author Topic: Lizzie Herd...or Ayto....What Happened To Her ?  (Read 9210 times)

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my favourite jumper about 1976
    • View Profile
Re: Lizzie Herd...or Ayto....What Happened To Her ?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 September 13 19:30 BST (UK) »
Mabel, Other possibilities are Codd, Frankish and Pearson, but how to know if it is the right Lizzie ?......Del
Clarke , Calvert , McCreadie,
 McDowell, Paton & Scott families,  Scotland
& Ireland, Ayto/Hayto/Eato/Eatough families, Lincolnshire.

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 September 13 19:34 BST (UK) »
It has been suggested  that if John Ayto was not her real father, that she could have discovered  her real father's name, and started using it....also I can't find her mother Elizabeth Herd on any census before she married John Ayto......she was born in 1856 at Hough-on-the -Hill.....so should be somewhere in 1861 and 1871........Del.

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 October 13 08:48 BST (UK) »
Well, Still no joy on finding Lizzie, we now believe that she DID marry Charles Robinson, and that they had a son Stanley, born in 1902/3 at Grantham.....was hoping that someone would know what happened to her after 1911, oh well, maybe one day........Del.

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 December 13 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I now believe that I have  found Lizzie's real father, Robert Herd, on the 1871 census he is at Brant Broughton, aged 17, so born 1854, it says born at Grantham ,  he is an apprentice shoemaker, unfortunately he is living away from home so no parents named, in 1861 there is a Robert HAURD, in the workhouse at Grantham, aged 7, so again born 1854, it gives him as being born at Little Gonerby, Grantham......but how to know if this is the right person ?.....would it have been normal for a child of 7 years old to have been in the workhouse, with no parents ?...............Del.

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 January 14 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Have now established that Robert HERD was  Lizzie's father, I have the marriage cert. for him and     Elizabeth Hunt, married in 1875 at Grantham......... Robert's father is given as George Herd.......Del.

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 02 February 14 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Still no luck finding out what happened to Lizzie, there are several possibilities for her death, but how to know which one is her ?.......I also can't find anything on either her husband, Charles Robinson, or son, Stanley, after 1911, when they where at Brownlow Street Grantham.......a lady who has been a great help with this family, seems to have stopped......I don't know why......maybe one day someone will shed some light on this..............Del.

Offline Bracken123

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am a Great Nephew of Bertram Guess. My grand parents told me how he was gassed in WW1 nursed by the family who had moved to Byfleet (Surrey) but buried in his home village of Lowick (Northants). I only discovered a few days ago, via new documents on CWGC website that he had a widow. From FreeBMD it looks like Elsie remarried Frank W Lamin 2nd Qtr. 1923.

The first marriage is 3rd qtr, 1918. I would love to find out if the marriage was before or after he was fatally inured.

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hello, Yes,  Elsie married Frank Warren Lamin  in 1923.....Bertram  had died in 1919, he and Elsie could only have been married for a few months......I am assuming that they met when he was posted to Belton Park, the home of the machine gun corps.......Elsie would have lived just up the road from there..........Regards Del.

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 January 16 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie's father Robert Herd died in 1876, just before she was born, he was 22 years old........it suddenly occurred to me that being so young his death could have been the result of an accident, so tomorrow going to local library to look through 1876 edition of Grantham Journal........bit of a long shot, but it really is time that I found these people........Del.