Author Topic: John Patrick Cox - Roscommon  (Read 8242 times)

Offline Garitsa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Patrick Cox - Roscommon
« on: Wednesday 28 August 13 22:00 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help tracing information on John Patrick Cox born abt 1872 in Roscommon and his family.  I know his fathers name was Malachy from his marriage certificate.
John Patrick appears on the 1901 census living in Manchester, before moving to Stockport where he appears on the 1911 census.
Unfortunately I draw a blank on any information regarding his time in Ireland and can find nothing on his father / mother / siblings.
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Patrick Cox - Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome  :)

Family Search https://familysearch.org/  has some Irish records.
There is a Patrick Cox (not John Patrick  :-\) here with father Malachy and mother Anne Foley

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 22:20 BST (UK) »
There is a John Cox, 21 yrs living in Openshaw in 1891 with mother Bridget and siblings - all born Roscommon. May be worth checking that out.
His father may be John  :-\

Offline Garitsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 22:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Heywood,

I have noted both of those you mention in previous research but have ruled them out.  I also traced a Malachy Cox who died in a workhouse in Manchester, but I don't think that was him either. I can't find when John P left Ireland or if he left on his own. I have paid for a search on line previously with the Roscommon registrar's office but with little information to go on that drew a blank. Unfortunately I don't know which parish / town they were from in Roscommon, so not a lot to go on unfortunately.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 23:59 BST (UK) »
Does he give an occupation for Malachy on the marriage certificate and what are the witness names?

Offline Garitsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 August 13 00:09 BST (UK) »
I will dig the certificate out and check.  From memory Malachy was a farm labourer (deceased at the time of the marriage), but I will confirm.

Offline Garitsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 October 13 20:19 BST (UK) »
Does he give an occupation for Malachy on the marriage certificate and what are the witness names?

Only taken a couple of months! but finally got round to it.

Just dug out the marriage certificate for John Patrick Cox and Malachy was deceased (marriage took place on 4 April 1896) and he was a farmer.  The marriage was at Chorlton Register office (Manchester) witnessed by James Bentley and Hannah Jackson (the brides sister).

I have also dug out the death certificate for a Malachi Cox who died 2 June 1873 at the Workhouse on New Bridge Street Manchester (aged 40).  He was listed as a labourer so not sure if connected or not?

Can anyone provide any guidance to the next steps I could take to try and find anything about Malachy?

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 October 13 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Within the time frame 1864-1873 there is a Malachy Cox married to a Anne Foley with births registered in the Area of Roosky Civil Parish/Kilglass Catholic Parish Roscommon. You can visit and search the site http://roscommon.rootsireland.ie/  for additional information (subscription). Limited records are available and you can see all those available for Roscommon at  http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/roscommonrc.htm . For a preview of the births http://bit.ly/1ca7t8H that have been registered. This may not be the family in queston but requires examination. If circumstances prevailed which saw the family leave for England between 1870-1873 the Malachi death in 1873 and the workhouse association may be an unfortunate consequence of events in Ireland. The other births may prove helpful with the search of English records ie Census, and though the birth of John Patrick cannot be tied down to 1872 if the family were in transit the birth may not have been registered but the association with Roscommon for future events may have been maintained. You must also consider that the 1870 birth may infact be the John Patrick as birth dates with the Irish Diaspora are fraught with inaccuracies .

Offline Garitsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 October 13 22:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Padraig3, I will give the links a go.