Author Topic: McCurdy's  (Read 7993 times)

Offline escollay

• RootsChat Member
  • Eoin
    • View Profile
McCurdy's
« on: Thursday 29 August 13 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

I m looking for some information regarding the McCurdy family of Argyll, who later moved to Belfast. The line is as follows:

Lauchlan MacCurdy m(1816) Mary McKenzie

William McCurdy (1823-?) m(1857) Jane Gary (1833-?)

Lauchlan McCurdy (1858-1930) m(1883) Barbara McIntosh (1856-1928)

Thanks
Eoin
Scollay - Shetland (Sjovald line)
Odie - Shetland
Bannon - Belfast
Donaghy - Belfast/Derry
Rooney - Belfast
McManus- Belfast

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: McCurdy's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 August 13 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Were all of the above events in Scotland?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 August 13 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all ,

Not sure about the first one although there are a few births that may match in Kilmory Bute(1820's)

2nd -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT28-DRC

3rd -
Lauchlan McCurdy / Barbara McIntosh marriage 1883 Campsie Stirling(Scotlandspeople)

Eoin , could you tell us what type of information you are after ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline escollay

• RootsChat Member
  • Eoin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 August 13 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

All of these events happened in Scotland, apart from the deaths of Lauchlan and Barbara which happened in Belfast.

I am looking to expand upon the family tree, ie can it go back further/fleshing out cousins. Also looking to hook up with people with common ancestors
Odie - Shetland
Bannon - Belfast
Donaghy - Belfast/Derry
Rooney - Belfast
McManus- Belfast

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 August 13 15:07 BST (UK) »
Just a general thought. McCurdy is an Irish name is it not so perhaps that's where they originated before the Argyll connection do you think?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline escollay

• RootsChat Member
  • Eoin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 August 13 15:42 BST (UK) »
The McCurdy's have been long associated with Argyll & Bute since before the Irish connection. Five brothers fled Argyll for Rathlin Island during the reformation which is where the Irish connection comes from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCurdy
Odie - Shetland
Bannon - Belfast
Donaghy - Belfast/Derry
Rooney - Belfast
McManus- Belfast

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 August 13 07:13 BST (UK) »
That's really interesting. My daughter's long term boyfriend is a McCurdy so that will give us something to chat about when conversation lags.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 September 13 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Eoin !   My McCurdie/McCurdy family originated from NI, principally Rathlin Island.   If you do get yourself back to Belfast..., there’s a ton of info about them and one way or another, you’ll surely link up with Petheric McCurdy c1640 Isle of Bute, d1700 Ballintoy, County Antrim. (husband of Margaret Stewart 1644-1747)    Lol !
Note:    My regiment The Scots Guards was founded in 1642; specially formed to protect the NI Protestants at the time !  http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3994/scotsguards.jpg   
And the problems are still not solved !   Lol !   

Mine is linked by a very fine thread via Mary McCurdie 1760-1840..., wife of my 4xG John Black of Rathlin Island.     They had a son called Archibald 1791-1877 who died in Campbeltown and he had a son called Daniel 1835-1898; a fisherman.

This book is an absolute must..., “Kintyre... The Hidden Past” by Angus Martin:
In it he goes into depth concerning the Irish community in Argyll.
Quote: 
“The emergence of the Blacks in the Campbeltown fishing community may be traced to Daniel, born in Ballycastle, c1833 (some say Rathlin Island). His parents were Archibald, labourer, born c1787 (son of John Black, crofter, and Mary McCurdie) and Jane McKinlay, born c1798, both on Rathlin.  All three names were recorded on the island in 1669 - Brian and Allex McCurdy in Kinramer, Pat Black in Ballygill, Malcum and Arc Black in Kilpatrcik. There were said to be three branches of Blacks on Rathlin - one Scottish and two of native Irish descent. Daniel Black had two known brothers - Duncan who went to Glasgow as a carpenter and James, born c1837 in Ballycastle, who became a seaman and who married Ann Sharp in Campbeltown. He drowned c1866.
The Blacks settled in Campbeltown c1838. Daniel's first wife was Margaret Morrison, who died 29 April 1874 in Campbeltown, aged 39. Her parents were John Morrison, labourer, born Rathlin, and Mary McCurdie, born Campbeltown. The Morrisons and Blacks were neighbours in Wide Close * in 1851. His second wife was Sarah Newlands, widow of Michael Durnan.  She died on 8 February 1898 in Kirk Close, Daniel Blacks first skiff, of which there is a record, was the Maggie in 1869. She was owned by his father. Daniel Black's first marriage produced five fishermen sons - Archibald (8 October 1855), Duncan (28 July 1858), Daniel (6 October 1860), John (28 April 1864) and James (born 27 January 1868.

* Wide Close was considered the worst slum in Campbeltown.
NI cemetery head-stones also confirm names and dates.    And it’s the history books that provide the data for the McCurdies, leading to the Lords of the Isles.

“Mary McCurdie born in Campbeltown” 28 April 1803-1 September 1881.   No smoke without fire..., Mary’s parents were Charles McCurdy b1780 Ireland..., and Margaret Mary McMath 27 April 1784 in Campbeltown.   
I have Margaret’s birth certificate and all 3 BDMs for Mary.   Just PM me with an e-mail.  ;)

McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline JimmeeB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 December 13 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain
My great grandfather James Black was your ggf Daniels brother.
Im fascinated about our link with the McCurdies and Ballintoy Stewarts.Ive a couple of questions I want to ask you and I wonder if I could send you a pm email?

Cheers

Jim