Author Topic: McCurdy's  (Read 8006 times)

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: McCurdy's
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for asking Jim !   No problem !    :)

PS   I have your James's wedding and death certificate so perhaps it would be a good idea to send me an e-mail address.
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline JimmeeB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 December 13 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain
If you drop me a line at * I can gleam some more info from you.
Many thanks!
Jim

Offline JimmeeB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 December 13 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain
Many thanks!
Jim
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 December 13 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain
Many thanks!
Jim
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Hi Jim..., lol !   We 'live and learn.'  ;)  As I said, you have to send me a 'PM' with your e-address.   
..., Iain. 
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline escollay

• RootsChat Member
  • Eoin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 January 15 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eoin !   My McCurdie/McCurdy family originated from NI, principally Rathlin Island.   If you do get yourself back to Belfast..., there’s a ton of info about them and one way or another, you’ll surely link up with Petheric McCurdy c1640 Isle of Bute, d1700 Ballintoy, County Antrim. (husband of Margaret Stewart 1644-1747)    Lol !
Note:    My regiment The Scots Guards was founded in 1642; specially formed to protect the NI Protestants at the time !  http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3994/scotsguards.jpg   
And the problems are still not solved !   Lol !   

Mine is linked by a very fine thread via Mary McCurdie 1760-1840..., wife of my 4xG John Black of Rathlin Island.     They had a son called Archibald 1791-1877 who died in Campbeltown and he had a son called Daniel 1835-1898; a fisherman.

This book is an absolute must..., “Kintyre... The Hidden Past” by Angus Martin:
In it he goes into depth concerning the Irish community in Argyll.
Quote: 
“The emergence of the Blacks in the Campbeltown fishing community may be traced to Daniel, born in Ballycastle, c1833 (some say Rathlin Island). His parents were Archibald, labourer, born c1787 (son of John Black, crofter, and Mary McCurdie) and Jane McKinlay, born c1798, both on Rathlin.  All three names were recorded on the island in 1669 - Brian and Allex McCurdy in Kinramer, Pat Black in Ballygill, Malcum and Arc Black in Kilpatrcik. There were said to be three branches of Blacks on Rathlin - one Scottish and two of native Irish descent. Daniel Black had two known brothers - Duncan who went to Glasgow as a carpenter and James, born c1837 in Ballycastle, who became a seaman and who married Ann Sharp in Campbeltown. He drowned c1866.
The Blacks settled in Campbeltown c1838. Daniel's first wife was Margaret Morrison, who died 29 April 1874 in Campbeltown, aged 39. Her parents were John Morrison, labourer, born Rathlin, and Mary McCurdie, born Campbeltown. The Morrisons and Blacks were neighbours in Wide Close * in 1851. His second wife was Sarah Newlands, widow of Michael Durnan.  She died on 8 February 1898 in Kirk Close, Daniel Blacks first skiff, of which there is a record, was the Maggie in 1869. She was owned by his father. Daniel Black's first marriage produced five fishermen sons - Archibald (8 October 1855), Duncan (28 July 1858), Daniel (6 October 1860), John (28 April 1864) and James (born 27 January 1868.

* Wide Close was considered the worst slum in Campbeltown.
NI cemetery head-stones also confirm names and dates.    And it’s the history books that provide the data for the McCurdies, leading to the Lords of the Isles.

“Mary McCurdie born in Campbeltown” 28 April 1803-1 September 1881.   No smoke without fire..., Mary’s parents were Charles McCurdy b1780 Ireland..., and Margaret Mary McMath 27 April 1784 in Campbeltown.   
I have Margaret’s birth certificate and all 3 BDMs for Mary.   Just PM me with an e-mail.  ;)

Hi Iain

Thank you for the reply & apologies it has taken over a year to get back to you! I have traced the McCurdy's back to a Lauchlan MacCurdy born c1795 in Balmenoch. I'm not sure how this then fits in with the Irish connection. Lauchlan married Mary McKenzie on 30/1/1816 in Kilmore. Any connection?
Scollay - Shetland (Sjovald line)
Odie - Shetland
Bannon - Belfast
Donaghy - Belfast/Derry
Rooney - Belfast
McManus- Belfast