Author Topic: Missing relatives, Alexandria, Egypt in 1940s  (Read 4023 times)

Offline Susie8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing relatives, Alexandria, Egypt in 1940s
« on: Thursday 29 August 13 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,

For some considerable time I have been trying to trace my late father's first wife (now probably deceased as she would be 95) and their son, born December 1946 at Alexandria, Egypt.

Ginette Shama, daughter of Ezra Shama (a cotton classifier), was born in October 1917 at Alexandria.

Ginette joined the WAAF in 1942 and was based in Alexandria, she was Aircraft Woman 1st class.

In 1944 Ginette married my late father, Frederick Charles Rounsley a British serviceman, at St. Mark's Church, Alexandria.

In December 1946 Ginette gave birth to a son, Reginald Isaac Shama Rounsley at International Maternity Hospital, Alexandria.

Their last known address was 41 Aly El Leisse, Alexandria.   Apart from some photos (dated circa 1947/48) and a letter written by Ginette (or Gina as she called herself) to my late paternal grandmother, nothing has been heard of Ginette and/or Reginald Isaac since that date.

I would so much appreciate any suggestions or advice ...

Kind regards
Su

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing relatives, Alexandria, Egypt in 1940s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Frederick Charles is not a Rounsley I recognize. Did Ginette die or was there a divorce before your father married his second wife? Rounsleys were originally from Cornwall/Devon and then to various States in America, with limited exposure in Australia and South Africa. After leaving the South West of England initially some were in Millom, Cumberland and some in County Durham. It looks like Frederick Charles was from an original Devon only line and according to FreeBMD he was born 23 Sep 1916 and died Lapford, Devon, and buried, (not died) 04 May 1969, St Thomas a Becket Parish Church. familysearch.org.

Indications are that he never divorced his first wife and perhaps lived with his second partner.

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 December 14 10:24 GMT (UK) »
There are no less than 12 Shama births registered in British Nationals born overseas for your time frame 1946 Egypt.

The only nearest one being,,,,,,,,,Philip I Shama born Alexandria,1946/50.  vol 52, page 4.

There is no marriage listed anywhere,for 1944,in the GRO indices.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 December 14 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Susie hasn't been online here since 2013, her research may have moved forwards.

Reginald Rounsley's birth is registered in the GRO Army births in 1947

Frederick C Rounsley's marriage is registered in the GRO Army Index Marriages 1944

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 December 14 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Dawn,my mistake,still trying to get my head around the new FindMyPast search format.
You are absolutely correct,but how did this old post appear again .Brionne.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 December 14 12:53 GMT (UK) »
because barryd joined in yesterday.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Susie8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 August 15 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am still investigating my late father's Egyptian marriage during WWII - I have his wartime records, copies of his marriage certificate to 'Ginette Shama' and the birth certificate of their son Reginald Isaac Rounsley.

Ginette Shama claimed to have been born on 22nd October 1917 at Alexandria to Ezra and Ida Shama.

I have discovered the surname Shama is a variant of the surname Sciama and the Christian name Ginette is a variation of Jeanne.

I have traced a Jeanne Sciama who was born on 22nd October 1910 at Alexandria to Ezra and Ida Sciama.

It appears co-incidentical so I wonder whether Ginette and Jeanne were one and the same person.

I have tried to obtain 'Ginette's' WAAF records but as she gave her birth year as 1917 I still must wait a couple of years until I can see them as I am not 'next of kin' or able to produce a copy of her death certificate.

Because Reginald Isaac's surname was registered as Rounsley (slightly unusual) I have tried unsuccessfully to locate information about him.  There were obviously Rounsleys who went from Devonshire to the Durham area together with those who went to America and Australia. 

A family named Rounsley reside in Israel and I was curious if there was a connection to Reginald Isaac but it seems not.  The lady to whom I spoke declared they were descended from the Yorkshire branch of the Rounsley family.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
Sue

Offline Susie8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 May 17 00:23 BST (UK) »
I have seen there are Anglian Church records available for South Africa, I assume these do not cover Egypt....     
Although I have copies of the relevant marriage and birth certificates I have tried unsuccessfully to find any details relating to Ginette's parents (Ezra and Ida Shama)

Offline Susie8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 February 21 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

It's been a long time since I last made contact but here's hoping someone, somewhere, may be able to offer advice or suggestions in my quest for information concerning Alexandria, Egypt in the late 1940s.

Briefly my late father, an English serviceman, married a member of WAAF at Alexandria in 1944.  Their son, Reginald Isaac Rounsley was born in 1946, verified by GRO records in 1947.  Last known address of Reginald Isaac and his mother, Ginette (nee Shama) was at 41 Rue Aly El Leisse, Alexandria circa 1948 after my father returned to UK.

Upon enlisting in WAAF in Alexandria during 1942 Ginette gave her next of kin as Ida Shama (mother) at above address.  Ginette stated her nationality as English and her religion as Christian.
Her marriage certificate quoted her father, Ezra, as being deceased and his occupation as having been a cotton classifier.

Despite extensive enquiries I am unable to locate any indication of what became of Ginette and her son after a brief letter sent to my paternal grandmother in 1948.

Any ideas would be so much appreciated.

Kind regards
Susie