Author Topic: Bushes Cross Guns Public House  (Read 4721 times)

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bushes Cross Guns Public House
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 February 14 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello -

The title of this post has raised some interesting questions.

Samuel Childs, the uncle of my great grandfather, was accused of murdering his brother, Thomas Childs, in Dublin in 1899. The Cross Guns was mentioned on more than one occasion at his trial, but what really caught my attention was the name Bushe - Seymour Bushe, Q.C. was the barrister who successfully defended Samuel Childs. This may be pure coincidence, but it did make me wonder.

craggagh.

Offline judge99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

That Bushe family were from Kilkenny and were very large land owners and were Lawyers etc., one was Lord Chief Justice of Ireland and oddly he died in Cheltenham Gloucestershire England which is the town I live in like many rich people he came to take the 'waters' and had family here. It would be interesting to read that article.

Regards
Phil

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello -

Seymour Bushe was the great grandson of Charles Kendall Bushe, Chief Justice of the King's Bench, Ireland, from 1822 to 1841. The reason Seymour Bushe himself was not appointed a judge was because of his involvement in an adulterous affair.

Detailed reports of the trial were published in The Irish Times on 5th, 6th, 8th and 29th September and 20th, 21st and 23rd October, 1899. Seymour Bushe is also mentioned several times in 'Ulysses' by James Joyce.

craggagh.

Offline Allbertine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 February 15 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear Judge 99

Re Michael Bushe.  He died in 1955.  His son, Billy ran the pub until about 1988 when it was sold to a Michael O'Mahony, who sadly died after about 15 years.  The Cross Guns was sold again in 2006 and is now under new managment.  Michael Bushe's brother Willie, also owned a pub at the top of Gardiner Street for many years.  He died around 1970.
Hope this helps.
Albertine.

Offline judge99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 February 15 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for replying...I don't know if you aw the earlier reply regarding Seymour from Craggagh which was....
Seymour Bushe was the great grandson of Charles Kendall Bushe, Chief Justice of the King's Bench, Ireland, from 1822 to 1841. The reason Seymour Bushe himself was not appointed a judge was because of his involvement in an adulterous affair.

Detailed reports of the trial were published in The Irish Times on 5th, 6th, 8th and 29th September and 20th, 21st and 23rd October, 1899. Seymour Bushe is also mentioned several times in 'Ulysses' by James Joyce.

My Bushe family re named the the Pub to Bushes Cross Guns from Cross Guns well after that court case but the Pub does other mentions when Googled

Phil

Offline judge99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 February 15 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allbertine

Thank you the reply....you mentioned son Billy...I didn't know Michael had a son.....where did you get that information from 'cos I have not got Billy on my family tree and Billy would be a cousin ...wow
Phil

Offline Allbertine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 February 15 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judge 99

Thanks for your reply.

I can fill you in on the Bushe family but will do this through private messages.    I am related to the Bushes.

Regards, Albertine.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Bernard Kennedy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 January 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Albertine
Myself and a number of individuals have recently took overy the old smyths ( formerly bushes) a number of months ago and brought it back to some of its former glory.I'm looking for information on the history of the owners of the premises.perhaps you could help me.when renovating the premises.we found some very old photos hidden away upstairs and we have put these up on the wall.we were told they are from the Guinness family of 1906 who owned the premises at the time.perhaps you could she'd some light on the mystery as to who these are.we have set up a Facebook page and you can also contact us through our Google page under The Bald Eagle cross guns
Regards