Author Topic: Lundys from County Mayo  (Read 3420 times)

Offline apen2014

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lundys from County Mayo
« on: Saturday 31 August 13 02:43 BST (UK) »
My great, great, great grandfather Thomas Lundy born in Western Ireland immigrated by British boat to the United States in 1848, landing in New Orleans. I believe him to have been from the County Mayo area. He was born in 1822 and had at least 4 brothers, including Anthony, Jimmy, Michael and John. I believe there may be some relatives in the Castlebar area and previously a Lundy Farm perhaps around Shirnnaugh, although I have not been able to locate the latter on a map. I am uncertain of parishes or denominations, but suspect they may have been Catholic. One of Thomas's brothers (John?) also immigrated to the US in the same year of 1848 with another brother going to Australia. I am interested in confirming any preceding lineage to Thomas (it all stops there), as well as confirming where he may have lived in Ireland. I would also like to get in touch with any living relatives in that area, as we may be planning a trip there in the future.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lundys from County Mayo
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 August 13 09:57 BST (UK) »
... and previously a Lundy Farm perhaps around Shirnnaugh, although I have not been able to locate the latter on a map.

There's no such townland as Shirnnaugh in Co. Mayo- possibly this should be Shinnagh in Turlough civil parish (Castlebar Poor Law Union/registration district)?

If you put 'Shinnaugh, Turlough' into Google Maps the townland is shown- see here
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline apen2014

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 September 13 04:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help! I think there could definitely be something to the misspelling of Shinnaugh. Thanks again!

Still continuing to do some research on my end. I have an older address for some distant relatives in the Castlebar area (address dates back to the 1970s), so wish me luck in getting in touch with them!  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 September 13 10:20 BST (UK) »
If no luck tracking down relatives through the old address then try writing to the local paper asking for anyone with information to get in touch.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!