Author Topic: Rev John Gwyrfai Owens ( b 1858),  (Read 14807 times)

Offline alltcafan

• RootsChat Member
  • sun setting in Powys
    • View Profile
Re: Rev John Gwyrfai Owens ( b 1858),
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 September 13 00:21 BST (UK) »
Annwyl Huwcyn

Look at the National Library of Wales website and click on "newspapers" type in Hermon Chapel or Capel Hermon (the first one seems to come up with more info - plenty of reading matter for you regarding J G Owen in Welsh and English.  It may also help if you narrow the years down to 1888 - 1890.    (Type in Hermon Chapel or Capel Hermon into the find an article box
and in the Search within this date range (this is like a slide rule thingy) click on the left little box and slide it up until the date shows 1888 and the drag the right box towards that until it says 1890.  (I may not have explained that very well but hopefully you'll be able to work it out.

The link below may work and if you copy it into google it may come up with the pages you require, but if not follow above info.

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/search/query?rows=20&query=hermon+chapel&date[min]=1888&date[max]=1894&sort=score&per_page=20&per_page=

Hope the above helps a little.
Regards Alltcafan  :)
EVANS/ JONES / JAMES / REES - Llangeler, Penboyr, Llanfihangel ar Arth, Burry Port & South Wales
STEPHENS - Llangeler, Penboyr & Neath
DAVIES / REES / JONES - Kilrhedyn, Newcastle Emlyn

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 September 13 22:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the advice. I've read the articles - a farcial situation, to say the least. The court proceedings must have been the local attraction and comedy turn for quite a while. Reading some of the accounts, the minister barely features, and its impossible to glean what roots of the 'scandal' were !. He must have been quite a resilient chap, if he was still there until his death. 
Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 September 13 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi it has been absorbing going into all the links re J G Owens, but back to basics where was he 1861/71 parents etc!

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 September 13 00:34 BST (UK) »
I notice in the title to the thread that he is given as born 1858(from census data?).It looks to me that his death is in 1920,and if Newcastle in Emlyn is the appropriate registration district,the John G Owen record is for a 70 year old.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 September 13 22:10 BST (UK) »
Given the report of his address at marriage(Llanwnda) which is less than two months after the census,together with his studentship at Bala College just prior to this,the following record looks very interesting.Perhaps it could explain the difficulty in finding him earlier(and the appropriateness of "Gwyrfai"?)

1881-RG11  5564  86  12
In the household of Robert Griffith,Bryn Biddan,Llanwnda

Owen G Owen  Visitor  Single  30    Student in Bala College   Born Clynnog,Caernarvonshire

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 07 September 13 09:02 BST (UK) »
I've now found Owen G Owen in the 1891 census-Owen Griffith Owen,Calvinist minister in Llanddeiniolen aged 39 from Clynnog,clearly the wrong man.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 07 September 13 17:07 BST (UK) »
There is this entry in 1881(RG11 5400  118  9) Lan,Conwil in Elvet,in the household of David Jones,widower,74:-

Owens,JG   Boarder  Single  29   1852   Independent Minister    Llanwnda,Caernarvonshire

Regards
Roger

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 07 September 13 22:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I think it must be - the report of his marriage early in 1881 gives him as being from 'Cefn, Llanwnda' . It does give rise to a further discrepancy, though . All the other censuses refer to him as being from Holyhead, and hence all my searches have been based on that premise.
As I might have mentioned, someone with a middle name of 'Gwyrfai' would almost certainly have Arfon connections.

Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 08 September 13 01:18 BST (UK) »
The following looks very promising(I hope!)

I think this says he had a brother,also a minister O(wen) J(ohn) Owens

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/records/newspapers/view/BL/0000037/18850826/018/0008?&firstName=&lastName=&county=ALL&keywords=%22j+g+owens%22&fromYear=1850&toYear=1920&includeVariants=true&pageNumber=1&region=North Wales, Wales

The 1891 census has this brother at RG12  2117  103 26 a visitor given born Morfa Cwtta

The 1871 census at RG10 5722 49  4 has the family of John and Ellen Owens,Morfa Cwtta,Llanfaglan
All the children,including Owen, are given born Caernarvonshire except John b 1849 Holyhead Anglesey.

Regards
Roger