Author Topic: Rev John Gwyrfai Owens ( b 1858),  (Read 14799 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev John Gwyrfai Owens ( b 1858),
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 September 13 18:57 BST (UK) »
Excellent - thanks for the link.
And now noticed earlier post has J.G Owen at "Penboyr" - fitting together nicely?

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much. Its quite an unexpected part of the world for a relative of mine to end up, and I think that any further research will have to be physical, rather than electronic, in nature. A friend of mine is a Congregational minister, so he can probably give me some pointers.
Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline alltcafan

• RootsChat Member
  • sun setting in Powys
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 00:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Huwcyn,

Rev. J G Owen b.1850  died 1920 he was a Minister at Soar Chapel for over 40 years.  If you can get hold of the book "A century of photographs" of Llangeler Parish which was published in June 2000 by Llangeler Community Council and printed by Gwasg Gomer, Llandysul, Ceredigion there is a photo of Rev J G Owen's funeral procession.   I assume he was buried at Soar Cemetery, but next time we go down to put flowers on the graves of my parents and grandparents I will have a look for a grave and will take a photo for you.  Be warned that if you do go to see Soar Chapel (the cemetery is quite a way away from the chapel, by car, and on a very narrow road).   The old way of getting to the cemetery was by a track through the woods and a windy uphill trek (that's the way they used to take the horse and bier with coffin) this track starts fairly near the chapel, but it's walking only.

Soar Chapel is in Cwmpengraig (which is in the Parish of Penboyr).   A huge amount of my relatives were members of Soar Chapel including my parents and grandparents.

The easiest way to find it, is if you go to Drefach Felindre (3 miles from Newcastle Emlyn) and at the village square you will find St Barnabas Church and the Primary School (next to each other - these to your right).  This is the A484 and is the road to Carmarthen go over the little hump back bridge (just by the school) and pass the pub on your left (which is now called Tafarn John y Gwas and at the present time is bright yellow).  Carry on up the road for around 2 miles or so then keep an eye out for a right turn ) and Soar Independent Chapel is just off the road your travelling on.   The A484 is a narrow road.   

Councillor R G Owen was one of Rev Owen's sons.  Cllr R G Owen later became a Justice of Peace.  He was also a Deacon and organist at Soar Chapel in 1947.

For info - Drefach Felindre was very industrious with a huge amount of Woollen Mills within the area during the time that Rev Owen was at Soar.

Hope the above helps a little,
Kind regards, Alltcafan  :)
EVANS/ JONES / JAMES / REES - Llangeler, Penboyr, Llanfihangel ar Arth, Burry Port & South Wales
STEPHENS - Llangeler, Penboyr & Neath
DAVIES / REES / JONES - Kilrhedyn, Newcastle Emlyn

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 21:22 BST (UK) »
There are also newspaper reports of 1888,variously described as a "scandal",that the Rev J G Owens had been ordered to quit Hermon Chapel,but "occupied" the pulpit.The police were called,and while he at first refused to move he was eventually persuaded to leave after a few hours.

Regards
Roger

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 21:34 BST (UK) »
Over- long sermon, probably !. Might I ask which newspapers ?
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 22:26 BST (UK) »
I don't know if there was an original Welsh language source,but the story was reported nationwide from Bristol (Mercury) to Aberdeen (Evening Express).
There is a later report in the Liverpool Mercury that the dispute went to the High Court of Justice where the parties were rebuked for bringing the action .

Regards
Roger

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 22:36 BST (UK) »
That does seem interesting, and rather peculiar. I believe that the pay of Congregational ministers was set locally, whereas Presbyterian ministers were paid on a more level basis. I wonder if this 'Sit-in' was due to an argument over pay ? . Thank you for that. There must be some Welsh-language record of it somewhere.
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 23:19 BST (UK) »
It seems that the trust deed for the chapel only gave powers of dismissal to properly convened meetings and arbitration judged that that the meeting(s) concerned were not properly convened and awarded J G Owens £30,but both parties had to pay their own costs.I wil have a look again to see if I can find a Welsh source.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 23:32 BST (UK) »
I can't see an obvious reference,judging by the years of the articles,but there are quite a few references to him at

http://papuraunewyddcymru.llgc.org.uk/en/home

use the search term "parch j g owen" and it might be worth trying a few variants e.g owens

Regards
Roger