Author Topic: Partridge/Bedford  (Read 23350 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Re: Partridge/Bedford
« Reply #36 on: Friday 30 March 18 07:58 BST (UK) »
Samuel Partridge died age 75 on 11 Dec 1917 as per Probate Calendar Entry, £329 going to widow Eliza; he was buried on Sat 15 Dec 1917; the service held at East End Baptist Chapel, Cranfield & the internment in 'the burial ground'. This taken from article in the Beds Times which says widow too unable to attend, mourners were 4 sons & 2 daughters. 

Wife Eliza Partridge died or was buried ? on 29 Dec 1925 age 81 at Cranfield (Death Index in Ampthill RD Dec qtr 1925 in name of Elias Partridge)   

I did  contact the Beds Archives yesterday, and they replied saying their charges start at £8.80 for a quarter of an hour. Obviously if I visited  the Archives Service search room within normal hours to consult original documents and microfilm, it would be free.

I must add our local Library has an excellent Archive department with wonderful staff who have so much knowledge.They have people contacting them from all over the world.

I don't what I would do without all the wonderful Rootshatters who have helped me with ancestors research over the the years.

Many thanks for the information.
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 31 March 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
Beds FHS have recorded the MIs at the Baptist Chapel burial ground. Both Samuel and Eliza are listed and that they died 11 Dec 1917 and 29 Dec 1925, respectively (as per John's info).

Modern maps don't show the burial ground at the rear of the chapel but it is shown on some older maps.

National Library Scotland - OS Map 1882: Baptist Chapel, Cranfield
http://maps.nls.uk/view/114482112#zoom=4&lat=2193&lon=10159&layers=BT

OpenStreetMap - current map: Baptist Chapel, Cranfield
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/52.07290/-0.59908

cupcake, let me know if you'd like photos of the graves and I'll try get over there in the next couple of weeks.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 31 March 18 22:26 BST (UK) »
Beds FHS have recorded the MIs at the Baptist Chapel burial ground. Both Samuel and Eliza are listed and that they died 11 Dec 1917 and 29 Dec 1925, respectively (as per John's info).

Modern maps don't show the burial ground at the rear of the chapel but it is shown on some older maps.

National Library Scotland - OS Map 1882: Baptist Chapel, Cranfield
http://maps.nls.uk/view/114482112#zoom=4&lat=2193&lon=10159&layers=BT

OpenStreetMap - current map: Baptist Chapel, Cranfield
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/52.07290/-0.59908

cupcake, let me know if you'd like photos of the graves and I'll try get over there in the next couple of weeks.

Many thanks for the maps - The National Library one being more detailed.

I would appreciate having the photographs of Samuel and Eliza's graves. Haven't got very much information on the Partridge side of the family so, will be great to have their burial places.

Kind regards
cupcake

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 07 April 18 00:09 BST (UK) »
I managed to get over to Cranfield today (thankfully no snow today :) ).

Samuel and Eliza's graves aren't in the main burial ground but tucked down the western side of the chapel, along with a few others. The graves are close against the chapel wall but it looks like the chapel has been extended at some point, which may explain the closeness.

Attached is one of the images but I've uploaded others, in higher resolutions, to PostImg.
https://postimg.org/gallery/1aky6pvmi/
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 07 April 18 09:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for going to Cranfield (pleased to hear there was no snow). They do look lonely buried there  :'(.

It is great having this photograph- the only Partridge one I have :)

Have also looked at the ones you posted to  PostImg.

Kind regards

cupcake