Author Topic: Marriage of Richard S Jones to Margaret Unknown perhaps around 1850  (Read 19752 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Richard S Jones to Margaret Unknown perhaps around 1850
« Reply #27 on: Friday 06 September 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Gali

Once again great finds and now I know when & where the name Devereux comes into the family.  In addition the marriage of Mary Ann to John Bally Iron Merchant is very interesting because it creates a link to another line so once again Bali - many thanks

I have continued searching for the migration of Richard Hugh Jones to Australia and as yet no success however the book your referenced had some interesting information into steam ships and departure ports so I am now looking to see if he may have boarded from there

Kind regards

Mxmar0

Offline Warwick James Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, sorry hope this works, just new. Was conducting searches in conjunction with my research on my family history. Patrick Watson my 2nd Great Grandfather, (Birth abt 1845 in Kettins, Forfarshire, Death 09 MAY 1883 in Qld). His father Hugh Watson. The newspapers reported that Patrick fell off his horse (he was a famous cattleman (like Hugh I guess)) in Far North QLD. But my father (Allan Watson), has his death certificate, says DT's. So he probably died from bad rum. But they wouldn't report that.

Thanks for the info I've been finding pretty hard to get above Hugh (Patrick's father), my 3rd Grandfather and his father George, my 4th GF. This info confirms by belief about George's parent.

I live in Cairns, FNQ. That's where the Watson history went in Aus. FNQ (Far North Queensland), where we became famous cattleman in the North and tin miners. There was a Watson in the party that explored the tin mining area out from Cairns west. Where you will believe it or not find where my nearest relatives came from Watsonville. Look it up, it's true. My grandfather Charles James Watson grew up in Watsonville. It's nearby another Scots formed town, Irvinebank, where they still have a celebratory day each year called 'God Bless John Moffat' day. These Scots saved peoples lives with their jobs during the depression.

Anyway thanks I'm so glad I found this link, helping me with my Ancestry Com tree already..

If anyone wants to chat, would be great. Wow, I'd love to get my hands on a copy of that Will you were referring to. My family would love to know what Watsons remained behind in Scotland, any links to the great Angus Breeder Hugh; -

PS (there's only 3 Watson's from the Angus cattle line left now (my Dad (Allan Watson) and Uncle Charlie) and I'm the last (only child, & Charlie had a girl)-

Although I don't know about the southerners from James Watson - Flemington - that's such a famous part of Australia, had no idea I was related - and that all the place names down there make sense now - they're all after the kids back home and the farm) - Google Earth has helped me link names as well. Even all the cattle stations we named up here in the north, Glen Ruth, Glen Eagle, Goshen, Christ there's about 500 'Glen' something's, when you check the names and go back on Google Earth to Scotland, it's all just back home for them.
*(station is a big farm in Aus), we don't say farm unless it's small, - stations are about the size of Scotland, hobby means less than 50,000 head of cattle.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 November 13 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Warwick

I have sent you a PM.

Westy11

Offline Warwick James Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 03:15 GMT (UK) »
My apologies I have lost the PM, accidently deleted

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Warwick

Another PM on its way.

Westy11 :)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Wow, I'd love to get my hands on a copy of that Will you were referring to.

Easy peasy. Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in 30 credits at the modest cost of GBP7, and use 10 of them to download an image of the will. You'll still have 20 left to follow up other family members.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline celtic1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 29 June 14 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Westy11

No I am not related to these families. I became interested as a research librarian when I was given a project to write about the origin of Flemington in Melbourne. The Watson/Hunter story fascinated me.
We have recently downsized and my paperwork has reduced somewhat but I believe Hugh Watson of Keillor married Margaret Rose and that one of their several daughters was Margaret. My research only found one son who went to America.
If this is the family you are researching there is mention in the book The history of Aberdeen Angus cattle at this link:
http://archive.org/stream/cu31924002957391/cu31924002957391_djvu.txt
I think I read in it once that the herd notes of Hugh Watson were lost when his wife Margaret burned all his papers when he died. (This was one reason I suspected Melbourne's James Watson may have been born to Hugh before their marriage, but I now doubt this)
Good luck

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 29 June 14 06:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Celtic1

As a matter of interest the following is what I was able to piece together :

Margaret Rose & Hugh Watson [1787 - 1865]
  • Margaret [abt 1826 - 1854]
    Janet
    Mary Jane
  • William
    Elizabeth
    Hugh
    Rose
    George S
    Georgina
    Euphemia
    Adam
    Patrick [? - 1883 Dotswood Station Queensland]

Regards
Westy11

Offline celtic1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 02 April 15 02:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay, but I have just got around to this area.
I can say that Margaret Watson, daughter of Hugh Watson of Keillor <sic> fame in Scotland, and known as Maggie, married Richard J. Jones Esq on 23 June 1846 at Keillor.
I don't know if this helps ???