Author Topic: Marriage of Richard S Jones to Margaret Unknown perhaps around 1850  (Read 19747 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Richard S Jones to Margaret Unknown perhaps around 1850
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 September 13 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Sharon01 and Gali
Whilst we were sleeping here in Australia you have accomplished much and I am so appreciative.  I will follow the leads you have provided and let you know the outcomes.

Do you have access to any immigration records that may provide the vital link between these records and travel to Australia???

Kindest regards

Mxmar0

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 08:08 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look into his emigration ... anything to tie him to Aus pre-1877 wedding?

From Angus MIs, Newtyle
church vault
'Hugh Watson for 55y tent Keillor b. Bannatyne 4.10.1787 d. the Den Perth 10.11.1865, w Margt Rose 7.3.1805 1.11.1866; Hugh Watson was one of the founders of the famous Aberdeen Angus breed of cattle'
'Richard Jackson Jones, w Margt 18.5.1854 (da of Hugh Watson)
cemetary
'Geo Watson esq Bannatyne House, w Jean Rose sole heiress of ancient families of Moray and Kinnaird of Culbin; 'all who knew her loved her''
I think further research would show George Watson was father of Hugh.

Also found some potential links between Hugh Watson and Australia which may be of interest:
a son? James Watson, detailed below (although Hugh and Margaret Rose married in 1824 so if he is a son it's a son from a different marriage)
http://www.flemingtonheritage.org.au/people/james-watson/
and another son, Patrick Watson, several trees for him on A/try, married in QLD in 1876, died in QLD 1883

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Gali

Thanks for the 'bumper crop' of info; it almost leaves me breathless the amount you have located!  As to pre 1877 records in Australia - no nothing as yet although I don't stop searching - many Richard Jones but as yet no Richard Hugh Jones - just hope he didn't drop the Hugh!

Have just thought that just maybe I wont make it to bed tonight!
Thanks so much

M

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hello again Gali
Having difficulty in locating Jean Rose Watson; I have a FindMyPast sub but no luck in nespapers! Any ideas???
M ???

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 09:24 BST (UK) »
Will look into it properly tonight but in the mean time these links might be fruitful:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/WATSON/2003-04/1050489902
http://www.kinnaird.net/family01.htm

By the way, just to say if it were me I'd definitely be purchasing Hugh Watson's will from Scotland's People ... might mention descendants in Aus and help to date which country Richard Hugh Jones was living in 1865 ...

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 09:35 BST (UK) »
OPRs have George Watson married Jean Rose, daughter of Hugh Rose, July 1753, Edinburgh
(edit to correct year to 1753 ... not 1853 as had first written)

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 09:42 BST (UK) »
Must get off the computer now!

But before I go, worth looking into an article in Dundee Courier on britishnewspaperarchive April 1897 mentions Jean Rose and George Watson as being grandparents to Hugh Watson ... and has Jean 'a penniless lass wi' a lang pedigree!'

Also this: http://www.kinnaird.net/kinstory.htm

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 10:02 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the parents of Richard Hugh Jones.

Richard Hugh Jones died in Australia 18 May 1893; he was about 47 years of age.  Based on a few birth transcripts for his children and his marriage certificate I have been able to piece together the following information:
Possibly born 08 Mar 1846 [a birthday book noted this date]
Born in Drumkilbo, Forfarshire, Scotland[extracted from 3 birth certificates]
He married Alice Maud Bowen Sanderson in 1877 in country New South Wales, Australia
His occupation was sheep overseer

May I please comment  :)

;D May I presume that your Richard H Jones death was registered at Moree NSW and that this certificate does NOT give you details about his parentage?  (NSW BDM #9426)

;D May I also presume that you know that your chap married Alice Maud Bowen Sanderson and that you have the NSW BDM certificate #2667, listed as registered in the Coonabrabran district of NSW.

And thus as you are unsure of his parents details, may I presume that there are several blanks on that NSW BDM issued marriage certificate?  May I please assure you that the "missing information" was recorded locally but simply put, it is not on the NSW BDM records at the moment. 

If there are blanks, perhaps I can help you along a tad, as the elusive blanks on that NSW BDM certificate are NOT a brickwall…..

;D  ;D Here’s a thread I did up re the hurdles and how to overcome them….

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=546609.0

May I also ask if you have accessed the Intestate Estate Case Papers held by the NSW State Records Office for a Richard Hugh JONES, a drover, who died in 1893 in the Redbank district, near Moree.   
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=53

ADD
The NSW BDM marriage certificates ought to give you the following information

date and place of marriage ceremony

Bridegroom's full name, his occupation, his usual place of residence, his conjugal status, his place and date of birth, his current age, his father's name and occupation and mother's maiden name and possibly any other former names, AND often a notation as to any parent known to be deceased.

Bride's full name, his occupation, her usual place of residence, her conjugal status, her place and date of birth, her current age, her father's name and occupation  and mother's maiden name and possibly any former names and if deceased

Celebrant's name and denomination and if either bride or groom was not yet 21 years of age, then the name and relationship for the person giving consent to the marriage.

and the names of the two witnesses

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/bdm_fh/bdm_rec.html  (there's also mention of the blanks on their 1856-1895 marriage records "Some Registry marriage records from these years recorded only the details pertaining to the parties to the marriage. Details of the parents had been left blank although they appeared in the Church registers.  .......  The Registry's records from these years are not complete and it can be worthwhile for genealogists to contact the relevant church to find details missing from a marriage certificate"

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hello JM
You assume perfectly - yes to everything - however I was able to glean a few more details from the Richard & Alice children's births.
I checked out your posts and that is simply fantastic because we are currently facing a few such hurdles!  Will put into practice what you have said.
As to Richard's inquest papers - yes I was lucky enough to find them.

JM - it is people like you and Gali that makes this so fantastic - I do hope I too will be able to give back so generously
 :) :) :)
Kind regards
Mxmar0