Author Topic: Masons of Whitechapel  (Read 14694 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Masons of Whitechapel
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 05 September 13 09:06 BST (UK) »
I'd say he probably is connected -  occupation gunsmith.

Dont know where the info came from - needs checking out in the parish registers first.

Would be worth contacting the 'descendents' mentioned (I assume that is where the info has come from) to see who this person's parents were ( they must have that if they have seen the parish register for his christening) and what siblings he had, and any other info. And how much has been confirmed from other sources . Beware, the details in tbe story may not be correct and should not be taken as fact unless confirmed as far as possible. These people may have grabbed at any random person from the internet with the same name  and 'claimed' their birth as the right one, without doing any further research to confirm it. These  things happen all to often .  But here's hoping they are concientious researchers and have looked into it all properly.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 05 September 13 20:03 BST (UK) »

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 05 September 13 20:49 BST (UK) »
http://microscopist.net/MasonRG.html this is Roberts (b. 1819) first son born 1849.?

"His father, Robert William Mason, worked in the gun-making trades as a finish polisher. He was evidently quite successful at that occupation, as the family retained live-in servants. Robert George Mason was the first child, born during 1849 in the Whitechapel area of London. His mother died in 1856, possibly as a consequence of giving birth to the family’s fourth child.

The 1871 census found Robert George boarding with a gunsmith in Enfield. Most of their neighbors were also involved with gun-making, although one man next door was a sword-maker. Robert, however, was an “optician”, possibly working for a nearby telescope or microscope manufacturer.

In addition to Robert’s upbringing, his later writing and advertisements indicate strong, practical knowledge of brass and iron work. Figure 6 illustrates advertisements from Mason in which he offered unfinished brass parts such that enterprising people could build their own microscopes, offered advice on assembling/repairing a key microscope component, and applied for a metalworking lathe. In addition, he published advice on giving brass a black finish, coating a mirror with mercury and silver, soldering gun-metal, case-hardening iron and many other aspects of metalworking."

Offline GoldenOriole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 29 September 13 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hallo all Whitechapel related Masons. Gun polishers/gunlock polishers/gun makers.
I am in direct line of Robert William Mason to Edward Mason b 1823 married Anna Ostler to Edward Mason b 1861 to Edward William Mason b 1890 to me.
I have researched whole family from 1740. Robert William married twice. First to Elizabeth Virgin.
Cant find her death as so many Elizabeth Mason death. Then RW married Mary Gains then lived in Castle Alley, Whitechapel. he died 1827 and Robert George, Edward, Joseph and two sisters lived in Prescot Street. Edward Married Anna Ostler (from Devon) 1857. Not found in 1861 census but their first daughter also Anna was born 1859 so we know the address where they were at that time. Later they lived Gloucester St, MEOT. till Anna died 1867. Any body want to know more best to make contact some how.
I would like to contact any so as to further the story. PM

Offline GoldenOriole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 31 January 14 11:47 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can ascertain and using my Mason family notes left by my aunts and uncles most of previous FH previously posted by lizb and wingtuns is correct. My line goes back via my father Edward William b 1890 whose father was Edward Mason (m Anna Ostler) whose father was Robert William from his marriage to Mary Gains. That much is certain and family knowledge.
Robert William and Robert George were Gun Polishers, Gunlock Polishers and later RG was Gunsmith. Edward carried on this trade early in his marriage but later became a cutler.
I have research the Gun trade of the times and it appears that Gun Polisher refers only to the trigger and loch of a gun. They would do this work in refining the inside to very set measurements on probably a military contract and then they would send their work to other manufacturers like Lee Enfield. They are not known to have made complete guns.
The Mason-Ostler marriage had Anna, Edward, George Robert and Joseph. This Edward tried gun work but soon gave it up and assemble bicycles which he sold in a shop in Bethnal Green. George Robert (sometimes in censuses as R.G.) Anna married a Benjamin Stacey was was a Master Gunsmith. he died in 1897 and Anna carried on till 1907.. Joseph was a electrical engineer. He can be found on 1911 census with 9 kids but family story is he left that wife to go to another woman in Brighton area but we have lost him. He is said to have made "What the butler saw" seaside slot machines?
Would love to make connections to any of the lines I have not yet found.
PM
PM

Offline GoldenOriole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 01 March 15 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hope this line of Mason FH research has not gone dead.
I would love to open it up again with news from any of Joseph Mason b 1825ish Castle Alley, Whitechapel . He was in 1851 census and then married after when he has disappeared I suspect emigrated but where?
Similarly Joseph Mason born 1865ish in Gloucester Road, Mile End OT. He was still in 1911 census with having had 9-10 children (not sure as to exact number) but then disappeared from family knowledge to Brighton or Bournemouth. Not easy to track but said to have had possibly two more children with second woman. Not known if he married her but was not divorced from first wife.
As I am last in line from Robert William-Edward-Edward. Edward William Mason line I would be keen to meet/talk with Masons from other parts of this family.
PM :o

Offline GoldenOriole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 30 March 15 15:12 BST (UK) »
I am just trying to see if there is any more life in this chain of Mason family.
Can anybody come up with anything about Joseph Mason b 1827 Castle Alley. Was with brothers in 1851 census and I think married probably about 1860 but is not on 1861 census so I wondered if he emigrated.
Can somebody in say Us/Canada or Australia/New Zealand come up with anything.

PM

Offline GoldenOriole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 24 August 15 10:14 BST (UK) »
I am just hoping this Mason, gunlock polishers of Castle Alley Whitechapel line is not dead.

Still looking for any info on Joseph Mason b 1827.Whitechapel
Also Joseph Mason b 1864 MEOT.
both these lines are of interest.
Funny its both Josephs that have gone awol if you see what I mean?
PM  :-\ :-* :'(

Offline wingtuns20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 09 November 15 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi I looked at the Mason family as my partners mums maiden name was Mason.

She descended from Robert G. Mason b.1819 (Josephs brother b. 1825)

This was in a text someone emailed me -
Who has done a really good search into the family :)

I think this is in relation to Joseph b. 1854 - Robert George died in 1889 aged 69. It was in fact 27/Jan/1899 and took place at 39, St Stephens Road, Bow. His son Joseph was present at the death. Cause of death is described as “Congestion of lungs and chronic bronchitis”. This was the same cause as his brother Edward and it begs the question...was the gun polishing trade subject to this cause? . However his standing in the Occupation column of the death certificate is stated as “Gentleman” so maybe he had retired by this time. The son Joseph was living in Leytonstone.

I noticed the Earlier Masons were Silkweavers.

On this file is a John Mason named as a former Fifth Monarchist radical

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CF0QFjAJahUKEwjQ9sDT4IPJAhWMmh4KHeYSBkc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brh.org.uk%2Fsite%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F11%2FTHE-SPITALFIELDS-SILK-WEAVERS.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGq97bQqgxNJRz_w0ymUrd0aMsqZQ&sig2=8WU0_XSkNj396rus1iGtcg