Author Topic: Denmilne GREEN  (Read 10480 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Denmilne GREEN
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 September 13 21:48 BST (UK) »
Presume Isabella may be a sister/sister in law but haven't checked her out yet. Maybe she is not connected, just coincidence she is the one named above Andrew.  ???

Sandra

Added :- Have found Isabella with a George Mill on the 1911 Canadian Census in Vancouver. Don't think there is a connection. Can't see an Andrew in Fifeshire with a brother George.

George Mill 31 Born Scotland. Immigrated 1909.
Isabella Mill 33 Born Scotland. Immigrated 1909.
George Finsley 35 Born Scotland. Lodger. Immigrated 1911.
Mary Finsley 30 Born Scotland. Lodger. Immigrated 1911.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Stuart273

• RootsChat Member
  • 2016 Panto - Upgraded to Yorkshire Yokel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 23:52 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the late post (nearly midnight here) but I just want to thank you all for the masses of information you've put my way in the past 24 hours. I had seen the citation in the Suppliment to the Edinburgh Gazette dated 13th Jan 1919 for Denmilne, but didn't know if it was just a mention in despatches or something else. I now know from the link Jorose put on that he was awarded the Military Cross  :)

It seems cheeky to ask, but I don't suppose a 3rd member of the family (Mary McLaughlan Suttie Green b 3rd April 1881) made it over there as well did she please? She's proving rather elusive on scotlandspeople as well!
General:
Scotland - Henderson, Rutherford, Tofts, Green, Philp/Philip, Cook
England/Wales - Helps, Jones, Wright, Petheram (Axbridge and surrounding areas, Somerset)
Canada: Rutherford, Green
New Zealand: Rutherford

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 02:16 BST (UK) »
Regarding ordering the military file from LAC. Anyone can order a file and I think they send out either photocopies or a CD/DVD of the file. I have ordered 3 files but not in the last year. Most files contain at least 25 pages and will cover Next of kin, pay allotments, medical information, transfers to and from battalions or within battalions. The files are very complete and will give you the dates of his injuries, field hospitals, hospitals back in Britain. Using the information from his military file, you can go to the War Diaries for the battalions. They are online at Library and Archives Canada site and you can view the diaries on line. Names aren't often mentioned but using dates and battalion info, you can determine what battles and where he was injured. I paid $66 for 3 files including postage and they were worth the money.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 September 13 01:00 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify that the marriage info was missing the full name of Ethel's father
Edward Charles Bentinck Bagshawe whose wife was Frances Anne Crawfurd ....sad as the marriage will not come up among the other sibling's information on the FHS site
This online site shows her death was not found by the poster, either...
http://www.geni.com/people/Edward-Bagshawe/6000000010553937336
Oh, Dear the family is transcribed by FHS on 1901 census as Bogsharne

also parents for Denmilne were Andrew Green and Jane Porter Denmilne...Looking at the image the information is all there, so why it isn't fully transcribed, errors aside, one can only wonder?

Having reread the find by Sandra that the couple moved on to Alberta may be why we can't see a death for her...hard to find any BMD information from that Province, it is not readily available....He may also have remarried there.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Peter Cowley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 October 14 16:20 BST (UK) »
Greetings all,

Ethel Millicent Bagshawe was one of my paternal great-aunts. I will certainly point to anything more that I have that has not already been posted. As regards Ethel's place of burial I will consult with a cousin who has more information on the Bagshawe family in Los Angeles. There was quite a group there at one time including my grandmother (Sybil Frances) and her husband at the time, F.P.V. Cowley.

As mentioned in another post, the Bagshawe family is included in some detail on geni.com

Cheers,

Peter Cowley
Vancouver, BC

Offline Stuart273

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter
Just come back to this after a prolonged absence and would be grateful for anything you have on Ethel other than is already here.
Cheers
Stuart
General:
England/Wales - Helps, Jones, Wright, Petheram (Axbridge and surrounding areas, Somerset)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi again.

In case you didn't order the military file.....

Library and Archives Canada has decided to digitize the WW1 files and they are available through their website. Here is a link to Denmilne's file. It is a bit slow to download.

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=3772-38

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Stuart273

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Polarbear
I did order his military file in the end - all 75 pages of it! Made for interesting reading. If the link is a slow download then it's probably funereal on the hardware I'm working on at the moment so probably a good thing that I got it already.
Thanks for the advice :)
Stuart
General:

Offline Stuart273

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
Sandra

Added :- Have found Isabella with a George Mill on the 1911 Canadian Census in Vancouver. Don't think there is a connection. Can't see an Andrew in Fifeshire with a brother George.

George Mill 31 Born Scotland. Immigrated 1909.
Isabella Mill 33 Born Scotland. Immigrated 1909.
George Finsley 35 Born Scotland. Lodger. Immigrated 1911.
Mary Finsley 30 Born Scotland. Lodger. Immigrated 1911.

Sorry to come back to this after such a long time but I've made no headway otherwise. I'm thinking that George and Mary Finsley as recorded here might well be George and Mary Findlay (nee Green). They married in 1907 and could well have been on the Sicilian (Glasgow - Quebec September 1907) as two of Mary's siblings (Janet and Denmiln) had also moved to Canada. Mary was born 3rd April 1881 which would tie in with her age at the census - her full name was Mary McLauglan Suttie Green and her parents were, of course, Andrew and Janet from earlier. I can find no record of her post 1911 on scotlandspeople so have no idea what happened to the Findlays after 1911. If someone happens on any information about this couple post 1911 I would be most grateful.
Cheers
Stuart
General: