Author Topic: Marriage of Stephen Backler to Martha Argent, St Andrew the Less, Cambridge  (Read 523 times)

Offline simonhutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marriage of Stephen Backler to Martha Argent, St Andrew the Less, Cambridge
« on: Monday 02 September 13 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone have details of the marriage of
Stephen Backler to Martha Argent at St Andrew the Less Church, Cambridge
4th Quarter 1843?

I'd particularly like to know the occupation of the Groom, and if the couple were listed as 'OTP'?

many thanks

Simon H
Whiting - Suffolk, Cowell - Cambridgeshire, Hutchison and Laidlaw - Berwickshire, Gay and Goldsmith - Gloucestershire and East Sussex, Murray - Kirkcudbrightshire.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Stephen Backler to Martha Argent, St Andrew the Less, Cambridge
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 10:53 BST (UK) »
You can order Marriage certificate for this couple and it should give his occupation what year was he born and have you been able to find him on census forms ???

Offline simonhutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie, thanks for those suggestions.

I really just wanted a 'Look up', if anyone has access to transcripts of the registers of St Andrew the Less (e.g from a CFHS CD). If there are no other details in the entry, even the actual date would be just fine.

The reason I'm interested is Martha Argent was a distant relative, ended up marrying a Whiting who I'm connected to. Her first marriage, though, was to Stephen Backler, who was a bit of a character and had a few spells in gaol. They seem to have travelled around a lot after marriage, although they were both living in the Haverhill area before they met as far as I know so I wanted to find out more about why they married in Cambridge.

I have a page for Martha on my site: https://sites.google.com/site/haverhillwhitings/individuals-1/martha-argent-1813

Thanks

Simon
Whiting - Suffolk, Cowell - Cambridgeshire, Hutchison and Laidlaw - Berwickshire, Gay and Goldsmith - Gloucestershire and East Sussex, Murray - Kirkcudbrightshire.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 12:34 BST (UK) »
The grooms occ was a Groom and they were both of Adam & Eve Row
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline simonhutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 13:02 BST (UK) »
Great, thanks Rosie. That's interesting - living smack bang in the middle of Cambridge.. I had him down as more of the Ag Lab type, or thought maybe he was a soldier at that time or something. Do you have a date with that?