Author Topic: Newmilns cemetery's  (Read 11159 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newmilns cemetery's
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 September 13 05:56 BST (UK) »
Again many thanks for all the links Loobyloo.

It has to be the Langside farm in Galston parish I think - as you say, not very far from Darvel at all looking at Google maps.
This is an Alexander Cochran from a very old testament dative from 1663! which says he is of Over Langside.
Unfortunately it is made up of legal swearings-in and surities for the executor - no family names given at all. I don't know who his wife was, but she was still alive, and he had children to leave a third of his money to. I think he has to be the same Alexander Cochran who signs the NAtional Covenant in 1639 - perhaps the first of a long line of Cochran non-conformists in those parts.

Cheers ;)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 September 13 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Goldie,

Yes I would agree.If the dates for Alexander are in the mid 1600's , he is unlikely to be connected to Langside, Glasgow. I had initially wondered if he maybe came as a worker to Lanfine with the Browns.

Alexander could well be from Galston but bearing in mind he signed the National Covenant he could also be from Fenwick (not to far from Darvel and Galston) which was also has strong Covenanting connections - http://www.ayrshirecovenanters.org/. The Fenwick Moors were where the "church meetings" were held.

Good luck with your research,
Looby :)

Offline Mlay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 September 13 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi AmyUK and goldie61,

I live in the area so if you can track down details of your ancestors' graves, I could photograph them for you.

Offline afaile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 16 October 17 02:35 BST (UK) »
I really don't know where to start but this chat popped up. Im looking to locate where my great grandfather x3 is buried. His name is Samuel Chapman. He was born in Loudoun Scotland in 1781.  He married Helen Findly/Finley born 1785 Galston in 1806 at Loudoun Parish.  He was a farmer and assumed lived in loudoun till his death around 75 years of age. 1856?  I guess I'm trying to find what cemeteries are in the area that might have records that I can search.  His son Samuel W Chapman was born in Darvel 1816 and came to america in 1841.  Thanks for any help out there!  Allison