Author Topic: Father of William John Beggs, married to Jane Cunningham, 1870s  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Father of William John Beggs, married to Jane Cunningham, 1870s
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 September 13 17:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Elwyn. That is good to know, especially that the parish of Grange of Doagh is next to the parish of Rashee. I do know that my Jenny Boyd was in the parish of Rashee, for sure, for sure. Her granddaughter Margaret married Thomas Beggs and they lived in Ballyvoy, Co. Antrim.  Margaret's daughter Jane Beggs married Robert Beggs and Margaret's son John Lawson Beggs married Jane Beggs. Quite a connection there to the Beggs.
To get back to William John Beggs, the one on the census for 1911 in Ballynashee, Rashee was 61. That means born 1850. Is it likely to be the same person as the William Beggs on the Valuation with 5 pieces of property? Wasn't the Valuation in 1864?
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 September 13 23:07 BST (UK) »

To get back to William John Beggs, the one on the census for 1911 in Ballynashee, Rashee was 61. That means born 1850. Is it likely to be the same person as the William Beggs on the Valuation with 5 pieces of property? Wasn't the Valuation in 1864?
Peggy

The properties in Griffiths held by William Beggs (plots 7 and 8) were valued in 1862.  According to the revaluation records, that changed to “reps of Wm Beggs” in 1866, indicating he had died around that time (Griffiths clerks were often out by a year or so, so don't take that year as being 100% accurate).  In 1867 the property passed to James Beggs. He was still in possession in 1880. I cannot tell you how long he remained the tenant as the subsequent books for this townland are not on-line yet. (They are in PRONI and if you have a way of accessing them you could find out from that).

The only likely death for William Beggs that I can see was registered in Antrim town 1865 Vol 16, page 6, est year of birth 1802. That’s possibly him. The death certificate should tell, if you decide to get it.
Elwyn

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 September 13 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hey, Elwyn, we may be onto something. Is there any way to ascertain if that William who had the 5 pieces of land and died abt 1865 and his death was registered in Antrim Town, Vol 16, page 6 is the same William Beggs who died Nov 8, 1865 in Ballynashee? If so, I have a fair amount of info on him and his siblings and descendants. He did have a son James who got McCreas' land. William's wife Jenny got Mansion Farm which had previously belonged to William's uncle also called William Beggs. Jenny also got 2 pieces of land called Kate's Falls. Daughter Isabella also got some land.  Son James died in 1907.
There was a Thomas Beggs of Ballynashee who died in 1880 who had a brother William John, carpenter. Wonder if that is our William John.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 September 13 03:34 BST (UK) »
I have now found William John Beggs in 1901 in Ballynashee, wife Jane and son Robert James.
The oldest child is Elizabeth and it says on the census that she was born in Phila, America so that fits with the birth of Eliza in Philadelphia Oct 19,1875. Also possible that the marriage was in Philadelphia. Then the next child was born in Derry before Robert James in Co. Antrim. Younger children were Rachel, Sarah Ann and Jane. In 1901, he is listed as Wm John. If this is the same William John that has brother Thomas, then William's parents are Robert and Elizabeth. Jane died between 1901 and 1911. William naming his only son Robert fits with William's father being Robert. Robert James married Ellen Jane McCullough and named his first son William John.
Peggy

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 September 13 17:23 BST (UK) »
Is there any way to ascertain if that William who had the 5 pieces of land and died abt 1865 and his death was registered in Antrim Town, Vol 16, page 6 is the same William Beggs who died Nov 8, 1865 in Ballynashee?
Peggy

Peggy,

There’s no way of confirming it for certain. I think you have to weigh up the information you have and decide how likely it is.

There were just 35 farms listed in the townland in 1862. Several were occupied by Beggs but only one by a John Beggs who is marked as “reps of John Beggs” in 1866, indicating he had recently died. Does your death certificate for 1865 say that that John Beggs lived at Ballynashee and that he was a farmer? If so, that’s an important start. Who was the informant? Can you trace that person subsequently in the townland? Finally, I suppose you have to ask the question, “if the deceased John Beggs in 1865 isn’t the one in Griffiths, then who was he?” In other words there ought to be two John Beggs appearing in Griffiths. But there’s only one. I don’t know the answers to a couple of the points I have asked about, but my gut feeling is that this is the same man.

Elwyn

Offline Carolyn_101

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 October 18 21:10 BST (UK) »
Jane Cunningham was a sister to my Great Grandfather's brother Robert "Bob" Cunningham. She married William John Beggs (e1850-1931). I have info on most of the Beggs children. What may be of interest to you is the Will of WJ Beggs is that he left the farm to Robert Hunter who was married to his daughter Martha. At the time WJ Beggs died his son Robert "James" had died. I have pictures of his daughters Martha and Sadie Ann and if I search more I could find Jennie. Happy to share what I have if you are interested. Would you have any information on your research of Jane Cunningham's parents? All I have is that her mother was a sister to the Gamble family.
Proni: Date of Death: 30 September 1931 Date of Grant: 7 July 1932 Reseal Date: Blank Effects:  £301 16s. 8d
Beggs William John of Ballynashee county Antrim farmer died 30 September 1931
Probate Belfast 7 July to Robert James Beggs and Robert Hunter farmers. Effects £301 16s. 8d.