Author Topic: Faulkner Family from Wicklow and Carlow  (Read 12529 times)

Offline Cintombi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Faulkner Family from Wicklow and Carlow
« on: Thursday 05 September 13 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Is there anybody researching the Faulkner family from Wicklow and Carlow?
Hugh Faulkner married Henrietta Maria Butler.

Thanks,
Cindy

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Faulkner Family from Wicklow and Carlow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 September 13 14:14 BST (UK) »
I'm not looking at Faulkners but have some Butlers!
What time period are you looking at?
Where did Hugh and Henrietta marry?
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Cintombi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 September 13 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Myluck,

I do not know when or where they married.  Henrietta Maria Butler was the daughter of Sir Richard Butler, Bart of Garryhunden, County Carlow.  Hugh Faulkner predeceased Henrietta.  She died in her 78th year in 1870.

Cintombi

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 September 13 17:23 BST (UK) »
Logically if Henrietta was born c1792 they married sometime after 1810 (when she was 18)
Records are scarce for those years but as her father was a Sir, his lineage maybe available
This presumably is the reference to Henrietta’s deth LINK
There is a Hugh Faulkner listed on Pigot & Co., City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824) and on Pettigrew & Oulton, Dublin Almanac & General Register of Ireland (1845) in Leighlin Bridge – both these locations would tie in with the connections you have so far and could pin point where the couple lived

There is a Mrs Henrietta Faulkner listed in Slaters’ Almanac in 1846 at 23 Pembroke Road Dublin as Noibility, Gentry and Clergy – this could, if proven to be her, imply that she was then a widow

something to think about as you search
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Cintombi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 September 13 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Myluck,
Thank you for you valuable input. 23 Pembroke street is the same address that I have for a Catherine Faulkner marrying Capt. Charles William Gore in 1843. She was the daughter of Hugh Faulkner.

Cintombi

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 September 13 08:29 BST (UK) »
If I get a chance later today I'll check a few more references and see if I can match with the address again
There is a good possibility that Hugh died prior to 1846 when Henrietta started being referred to but cannot be taken for granted.

Catherine's marriage church record 1843
There is a witness named Arthur Faulkner who could provide a clue for your search
Presuming Catherine was 18+ would imply she was born before 1825
This then allow a logical conclusion that Hugh and Henrietta married between 1810 and 1825

Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland, 1899 describes the marriage as to "Kate, dau of Hugh Faulkner of Fort Faulkner, Co. Wicklow"

Baptism in 1847 which may be a red herring but could be a lead
(marriage of Arthur Faulkner to Louisa Anne DOWNING in 1847 shown in the Deputy Keeper of Ireland, Index to the Act or Grant Books, and to Original Wills, of the Diocese of Dublin 1272-1858 (26th, 30th and 31st Reports, 1894, 1899)
Civil Record of Marriage should show Father's name to help confirm

Baptism in 1849
which may again be a red herring but as it ties two names and the location of Carlow my be a lead - son Arthur and father Hugh

Fort Faulkner still exists and is current an equestrian centre
There is some information on line on this family if you google various combinations of  Faulkner/Wicklow; Faulkner/Carlow; etc.
This is an interesting link on papers held in the north on the extended family
I haven't read through completely but should be of valuable information

The status of the family implies that if you can pin point parishes you will possibly find details for their marriage and children etc.
Further generations:

Offline Cintombi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 September 13 10:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for all the information that you have sourced and passed on to me.  I am indeed trying to establish when Hugh Faulkner died and who his Parents were.  I know that there is a prominent Faulkner family in Tyrone in the middle 1700's and in the late 1700's some of the children must have migrated south to the Dublin, Carlow and Wicklow Counties.

Catherine was referred to as Kate -  Catherine and Charles Gore had a daughter Florence Henrietta Gore - she married Peter John Ryan and they immigrated to New Zealand.

I had picked up on the marriage of Arthur Faulkner to Louisa Anne DOWNING in 1847 and if I can recall I am sure that Hugh was shown as deceased at that point.  I may be wrong though.

I have done a lot of googling using various combinations and have found a lot of information.   I did also find the Faulkner papers in the Northern the "proni.gov.: site but have wondered whether this northern Faulkner family are connected to the Carlow/Wicklow Faulkner's.

Thanks so much once again Myluck.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 September 13 13:25 BST (UK) »
Found some links that should clear some things up for you

one I cannot post for copyright reasons but it confirms
Hugh Faulkner married Henrietta dau of Sir Thomas Butler

This Link gives the background to the Butler family from Ballintemple, Co. Carlow (near Tullow)

Further generations:

Offline Cintombi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 September 13 13:58 BST (UK) »
Help Myluck,

I received your personal, message, thank you.  I am not sure how to reply to that message giving yu my email.  Can't
Unadvisedly me please?

Cintombi