Author Topic: SHEEHAN OR SHEEAN FAMILY IN CORK  (Read 6121 times)

Offline Cintombi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SHEEHAN OR SHEEAN FAMILY IN CORK
« on: Thursday 05 September 13 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have very little to go on but I am trying to find the family of Elizabeth SHEEHAN (called Lil or Lily). Elizabeth had the following known siblings -   Mick, Danny and Julie.   Elizabeth married Robert Stewart Fairley in England in 1929.  Julie married Victor Gooding.

I have been told that Elizabeth was born in Cork and returned to Cork when she was in her seventies to have a walk down memory lane.

Thanks,
Cintombi

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SHEEHAN OR SHEEAN FAMILY IN CORK
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 September 13 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have very little to go on but I am trying to find the family of Elizabeth SHEEHAN (called Lil or Lily). Elizabeth had the following known siblings -   Mick, Danny and Julie.   Elizabeth married Robert Stewart Fairley in England in 1929.  Julie married Victor Gooding.

I have been told that Elizabeth was born in Cork and returned to Cork when she was in her seventies to have a walk down memory lane.

Thanks,
Cintombi

Hi Do you have a marriage cert for elizabeth as this would show her fathers name.
Do u hav a death record as this may give her age and then you could determine her year of birth.
On looking at the Irish census 1911 there is a Sheehan family with a son Michael age 16 & daughter Elizabeth Ann age 10 but really need her year of birth as she could have been in Uk in 1911. :)

Offline Cintombi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 September 13 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Ballydw

Thanks for your reply.  I ordered the marriage certificate yesterday online and should have it by about the 16th of the month.  Dispatch on the 9th and then the time it will take from England to my country.

I am still looking for her death to establish a birth year.  Julie was younger than Elizabeth and the two brother were older, leaving for America when Elizabeth was in her early teens.

Thank you for looking at the 1911 census for me.

Cintombi

Offline Cintombi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 I now know that Elizabeth (Lil) father's name was William.  Elizabeth died in 1985 in St. Austell District of Cornwall and this give her birth date as 24 March 1904.  I believe that younger sister Julia was possibly born on 30 January 1911 in Cork City.

I have spent many hours searching the National Archives for the family in 1911 with no success.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Cintombi

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 March 15 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 I now know that Elizabeth (Lil) father's name was William.  Elizabeth died in 1985 in St. Austell District of Cornwall and this give her birth date as 24 March 1904.  I believe that younger sister Julia was possibly born on 30 January 1911 in Cork City.

I have spent many hours searching the National Archives for the family in 1911 with no success.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Cintombi
Hi, have done a search of the 1901/1911 censuses and the following are the only feasable ones with a father William.
1901 census.  House 37 Picketts Lane (DED Cork Urban No 5 Cork)
William age 30, wife Margaret age 29. Son Michael age 6, Daughter Elizabeth age 1.
1911 Census: House 31 Lough Road (DED Cork Urban No 5 Urban Cork)
William 39, Margaret 38, Michael 16, Elizabeth Ann 10.
The couple have been married 18 years, 6 children born - 2 living.
I realise the age for Elizabeth doesnt add up with your birth for her being 1904 (do you have birth record?)  There are no Elizabeth Sheehans in censuses with a father William except the aforementioned records.
There are two marriage records for the period 1892 which would tie in with William being married 18 yrs on 1911 census - problem is 2 records are to christian names of Margaret in Cork.
Details of marriages as follows:
June 1892 Reg district Cork. William Sheehan/Margaret Mulcahy. Vol 5 Page 101
Dec 1892 Reg District Cork. William Sheehan/Margaret Young Vol 5 Page 86
You can obtain PHOTOCOPIES of these certs from www.groireland.ie you would have to complete the online form & post & there is a facility that they can email to you. Photocopies cost 4€ full cert is €20
I have checked www.irishgenealogy.ie for cork city baptisms but no records showing. :)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 March 15 10:42 GMT (UK) »
There is this birth for a Julia Sheehan in 1911 but she may have been born after the Census
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FBRL-53X
This is the only Elizabeth I can find for 1904 in Cork but the Reg District is Kanturk
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FB2L-C6G
I tried Reg district  Cork from 1903 to 1905 but couldn't see an Elizabeth or Lilly.

There are a good few Daniel's and Michael's in both districts.

Offline Cintombi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 March 15 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann and balldw,
Thank you very much.  I do have those census records as well as the marriage details.  The birth date is from her death record in England.  I do appreciate you checking these records for me as a fresh eye sometimes spots something I may have missed.  I have searched under nicknames for the family.  I do know that in 1911 Elizabeth and Julia as well as Brothers Danny (Daniel) and Mick(Michael) were all still living so this is why I am sure that the census records found are not correct.

I am hoping to get further information from a lady in France although it seems that not too much is known.  Elizabeth (Lil's) youngest and only living child who turns 81 this year is not willing to share any information at all

Offline Cintombi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 March 15 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Good Day

If I can order a photocopy of an Irish Birth certificate for Euro 4 and the copy is emailed to me, what details would be reflected on the birth photocopy please? Further, from what date are photocopied certificates allowed and can these be emailed instead of posted?

Many thanks
Cintombi

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 March 15 11:11 GMT (UK) »
See here for details included on Irish birth certificates-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=433041.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!