Author Topic: Robert Struthers/Mary Paterson  (Read 5260 times)

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Robert Struthers/Mary Paterson
« on: Wednesday 15 June 05 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am desperately seeking information on  Robert Struthers and his wife Mary Paterson. Robert was born approx. 1740 and Mary approx 1742, both in Glassford, Lanarkshire.  They married in 1769 in either Glassford or Chapelton.  They had the following children:

Andrew b:12/3/1770 who married Margaret Pollock
James b: 15/8/1772
Agnes b: 22/10/1774
Gavin b: 17/6/1777 who married Agnes Paterson
Marion b: 12/7/1781
James b: 8/1/1784
John b: 17/7/1787 who married Elizabeth Shearer

I cannot find any further information on these two so if they are in your family, please let me know!  Thankyou !

Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline Nellie-Bear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Struthers/Mary Paterson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 05:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there i have a mary struthers in my tree unfortuantly i too do not have much info on this family.  the info i do have is that i have a mary struthers who married a john muir on the 23/12/1822 in campsie scotland.

Kind regards
Nellie-Bear
R u realted to Muir's, Elliott's, Woodhall's, Burr's, Deacon's.

Offline AliG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 December 05 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Andrea

I believe that:

Robert Struthers and Elizabeth Shearer are my gggggrandparents

I have also been trying to make the link back to the previous generation and although it is my belief that Robert's parents were Robert Struthers and Mary Paterson I have no conclusive proof. The only birth record I could find for Robert (the son) gave his father's name only.

I spent Friday going through the 1841 Glassford census but it didnt add much except some confirmation.

I have got a fair bit of info on the struthers of Chapelton so would love to compare notes with yourself.

Alison
Lanarkshire Names:
Allan, Barr, Brown, Fairly, Reid, Shearer, Sommervill, Struthers
Caithness & Sutherland Names:
Bryce, Cleugh, Gray, McBeath, McKay, Mathieson

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 December 05 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,

Yay, I have been hanging out for someone to respond for ages!   I'm not sure what info you would like in regards to the Struthers family but let me know what you are after and I will tell you if I have it or not!  Yes, I am bamboozled by lack of information on Robert Struthers and Mary Paterson. I also noticed only the father's name on the birth record.  Robert and Mary's marriage is on record but no image was available to download from the registry office. 

You said your gggggrandparents were Robert Struthers and Elizabeth Shearer.  Did you mean John Struthers?  Was there another child called Robert?  It's beginning to sound interesting!

Andrea

Offline AliG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 December 05 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Andrea

I managed to mess up my previous posting by listing my ancester with the wrong forename! As you guessed I meant John and not Robert.

What I would like is the proof that John Struthers b: 17/7/1787 who married Elizabeth Shearer was the son of Robert Struthers and Mary Paterson.

In the IGI he is listed with only a father's name (Robert) and no mother. I have been through to New Register House in Edinburgh but could not find his birth record.

I have a copy of John and Elizabeth Shearer's marriage but there is no reference to either set of parents.

I would also like any information you have about the children you mentioned in your original posting with a note of where the data came from.

From the census records I have discovered a Robert Struthers  born about  1778 who lived in Chapelton and was a weaver. I have found no record of his birth though. Might he be another child of Robert Struthers and Mary Paterson.

What is your interest in this family?

I'd be happy to communicate via email if it suits you.

Alison
Lanarkshire Names:
Allan, Barr, Brown, Fairly, Reid, Shearer, Sommervill, Struthers
Caithness & Sutherland Names:
Bryce, Cleugh, Gray, McBeath, McKay, Mathieson

Offline Douglas P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 December 05 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

These two web pages mention some of the people you have been talking about:

http://www.chouston.f2s.com/Alltrees/dat976.html#11
http://www.chouston.f2s.com/Alltrees/dat977.html#0

Douglas
East Kilbride:     Macaulay, Scott
Lanarkshire:      Graham, Brown, Struthers, Smith, McMillan, Napier
Dunnet:             Nicholson, Douglas
Halkirk:             Fraser, Campbell
Thurso:             Coghill, Houston
W. Lothian:       McKay
Muiravonside:   Nimmo, Robertson
Alloa:                Johnstone, Syme
Tillicoultry:         MacDonald

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,

I have found my information from various sources including the following:

www.familysearch.org
www.genealogy.com  (under Struthers forum)
www.chouston.f2s.com    (thanks Douglas!)
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Also just tracing back from my own family and the information my mother had given me - but Robert and Mary are the elusive family members!

I'm thinking that the Robert born in 1778 is another child as I have the name written down for some reason but only recently discovered it.
I also have a copy of the marriage certificate for Mary Struthers, daughter of John Struthers and Elizabeth Shearer if you are interested.
I think I have the correct information for Mary Paterson's parents and beyond so let me know if you need that too!

The Struthers family are on my mothers side.  My mum's grandmother, Mary Taylor McDonald was the daughter of William McDonald and Elisabeth Paterson.  William's great grandparents were Robert Struthers and Mary Paterson.

I actually lived in Scotland for 5 years and met an old farmer called Andy Struthers who I wish I had spoken to now as he has since passed away.  I didn't realize until afterwards that I had Struthers in my family line and am interested to know if he was part of it!!!

I will attach details of the other Struthers children in a Word document as they are too many to note here.

Hope some of this is of help to you!!

Regards,

Andrea

Offline Hpfcfe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 September 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have just come across this fairly old thread so no idea if any of you are still around. I am descended from John Struthers/Elizabeth Shearer. Hope to hear from someone.

Thanks

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 September 17 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Hpfcfe,
Thanks for the message.  I forgot that I still had this topic on here so hadn't looked at it for quite some time.  I think I worked out that although Robert Struthers is somewhere within my family tree, he is not in my direct line so I never ended up pursuing more information about him.  I need to actually revisit that side of the family so will be in touch should I work out the link!   Thanks for being in touch all the same!
Regards,
Andrea