Author Topic: burial records in Walsall England  (Read 66549 times)

Offline dickensfan56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
burial records in Walsall England
« on: Friday 06 September 13 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi.  Before my mother passed away I promised I would go back to England and try to find my grandparents' graves.  Mom was orphaned at 14.  I have her full birthdate and my grandparents' names and approximate years of their deaths.  They went to St. Mary's church and I think lived on Willows Rd. about 1 1/5 miles from the church.  I haven't been able to find anything.  I've joined every ancestry site on the web and still can't find anything.   Any suggestions?  We're going in April and I'd like to have some ideas since there are quite a few cemeteries in Walsall.  I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: burial records in Walsall England
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 September 13 18:39 BST (UK) »
First you need to find their exact deaths.
If you tell us their names and dates of birth, we can help you look.
I assume you have checked freebmd?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dickensfan56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 September 13 18:48 BST (UK) »
Grandpa was James Haydon, died approximately 1927 and grandma was Gertrude Haydon, died approximately 1935.  Mom was Eileen Winifred Haydon, born July 6, 1921. I don't know my grandparent's birthdates.   Mom lived in Walsall at least until she was 14 when her mother died.  The church placed her with a family.  I have no info on them.  I know mother inherited some money when she got older.  She said her father was a civil servant.  Her mother never worked, even after he died, so he must have had a pension or something.  I am not familiar with the site you gave me.  I have requested a copy of mom's birth certificate but none of the ancestry sites had a record of one.  Thank you so much. 

Offline dickensfan56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 September 13 19:08 BST (UK) »
I checked freebmd and found nothing on grandparents.  Will try mom.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 September 13 22:49 BST (UK) »
I'm struggling finding info. So far for 1927 the deaths I found don't fit. I come from Walsall I can help with that aspect. In respect to st marys's,  are we talking about st Mary's and all saints in the palfrey area.I don't know how many willows road there are but there is one in shelfield which is nearby. There is also a st marys on the mount at caldmore which is catholic. There's nothing coming up in the Staffordshire monumental cd entries but obviously some parishes are n't covered and may not have a gravestone. Have you considered the spelling of her surname there's a james haden in 1901 in Walsall, although probably not him and I did find a marriage for a james haden in Alcester to a Gertrude in 1906 it's on freebmd. Is there any chance the info you've got could be the family who they put her with but I suppose being 14 she would know her own name. The surname is spelt different ways. Suggest you contact Walsall register office re birth cert, they've got a web site and if they find the cert you'll be expected to buy it. Where have you got your info from on the grandparents, your mother?

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 September 13 12:15 BST (UK) »
Like weste I can't find anything in Staffs. I've even searched all Eileen's & Winifred's in Walsall 2nd. half of 1921 & nothing like Haydon coming up.
You might have to consider the prospect that James & Gertrude married after your mom was born if they married at all & she might be under her mother's maiden name.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 September 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
This really is a mystery!  Like the others, I can't find any Eileen Winifred Haydon or similar about the right time.  Hadens is well-known Walsall legal firm, but this may be irrelevant.

I have found some records that may help.

Death of James Haydon 1925 Jan-Mar Walsall 6b 877 age 80.  There appears to be no probate calendar entry to fit. Birth about 1845 doesn't seem to lead to a spouse named Gertrude, Florence or permutation.

Death of Florence Haydon 1936 Oct-Dec Walsall 6b 672 age 75 (born about 1861).  At least she was of similar age.  Probate calendar says Florence was a widow, date of death 17 Dec 1936, with administration to William Frank Haden.  Estate £1,093 11s 6d.

Birth William F Haden 1815 Jan-Mar Walsall 6b 1356, mother's maiden name Goodchild.  However, I can't find any Haydon or similar connected to Goodchild or similar. I can't find a marriage of a Gertrude, Florence or similar to a Hayden or similar or a birth of Goodchild with the right names.

Census 1911.  Gertrude Florence Haydon age 24, married 1 year or less, military, but no place.  Birth about 1887 Leeds, Yorkshire.    Clearly, someone named Gertrude Florence married a man named Haydon in about 1910-11, and there are some candidates, bot none named James.  Given the birthdate this seems unlikely to be the Florence Haydon above.

Regrettably, I can't find anything to connect any of these people, but maybe someone out there can get a bit further.

It looks like getting the entries of death for James and Florence is the place to start.  The locations and informants might help to connect them.
Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 September 13 14:05 BST (UK) »
There's heydon spelling as well. I also looked in the probate at the same when I was on ancestry and did n't find anything like jim1. One thought is that it may be worth looking on the electoral roll in Walsall archives which I could do at some point. Have you got any documentation at all re Walsall? Also any photographs? So we can pin anything down. Are you sure your mom was 14 at the time? Sometimes you think you were older at the time than you actually were. Although I tried a wide enough search. I'm quite happy to search in what records I can but as already indicated loads of churches and cemeteries so can't search without having some idea. What was was she actually told about her deaths? Have you managed to work out which st Mary's? Loads of questions I know but some of these are what need to be considered.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 September 13 14:21 BST (UK) »
Florence Haydon probated 1936 is the widow of Oxford William Haydon d.1930.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/