Author Topic: Help me find a marriage for William Powell  (Read 6163 times)

Offline Sam Buckley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help me find a marriage for William Powell
« on: Friday 06 September 13 23:15 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find a marriage between William Powell and Anna ? sometime before 1746 and possibly in Kings Pyon.
The only child I have is their son William who was born in Kings Pyon in 1746, but I'm not sure if there are other children.
I'm in Australia so I can only rely on online indexes such as IGI but have found that, especially for Kings Pyon, coverage can be patchy.

Please help  :)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help me find a marriage for William Powell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 September 13 07:03 BST (UK) »
www.familysearch.org
william powell
england
herefordshire
marriage
1730-1746
spouse anna
search
only ONE result
28th October 1741 at Castle Frome,Herefordshire
William Powell to Anna Hodges
I will see how far Castle Frome is from Kings Pyon
ADDED.....20 miles apart ...so a good possible for Anna Hodges ..
do you know William Powells occupation ?...if he was an Ag Lab - farmer , he may have gone to Kings Pyon to work ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Sam Buckley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 September 13 07:18 BST (UK) »
That's the only one I could find as well, but can't find anything to prove it. Couldn't identify any children born to them in that parish, so it is likely they didn't actually live there after they were married.
Just wondering how complete Family Search is for that period in Herefordshire because the marriage for William and Anna's son (also William) is not on the IGI but was located for me by Hereford Record Office.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 September 13 07:21 BST (UK) »
That record you have for the son - is in Latin on IGI
christened 6th May 1746 Guilelmus Powel ,Kings Pyon - parents Guilelmi and Annae .....
note only one L in Powel
I am not sure about ANNAE  being Latin for Anna - might it be Latin for Ann / Anne / Annie ??
can anyone advise please ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 September 13 07:44 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=622196.msg4706287#msg4706287

On this post it states that ANNAE - IS Anna ..so you do have it correct and I would say that Marriage is a good possibility , and sadly , William looks to be the only child ??
maybe another member will come on this thread with a bit more info for you - but for now I would say that Anna Hodges looks to be the only possible on familysearch.org - and William looks to be an only child ...
It does look good for Anna when you see this
christened 23rd January 1714 at KINGS PYON  - Anna Hodges - parents Richardi Hodges and Annae ..Latin again
so if Anna was from Kings Pyon - they married in Castle Frome - and went back to Kings Pyon for Williams birth ??..not uncommon for a wife to go back to mums to have her baby - looks like Anna did ??
what do you think ?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 September 13 07:59 BST (UK) »
OK SAM ...IF that is the right family ?? and I think it is because all their records are in Latin
23rd january 1719 christening of Elisabetha Hodges in Kings Pyon - parents Richardi and Anna .
a sister for Anna ...the only sibling I can see

Offline Sam Buckley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 September 13 08:10 BST (UK) »
It sounds like this may be a great possibility...especially if Anna was born in Kings Pyon.

Offline Sam Buckley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 September 13 08:19 BST (UK) »
Also found Margareta Hodges 8 May 1717 Kings Pyon, Sarah Hodges 25 Apr 1725 Kings Pyon

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 September 13 08:24 BST (UK) »
The thing that makes me think we have the right family is - all their records are in Latin - even to Richardi and Annae Hodges christening Annae Hodges in 1714 in Kings Pyon to the possible grandson Guilelmus Powel being christened in 1746 in Kings Pyon ....32 years later
Best wait for another member to give their views - but looks like the right family to me ...
those other 2 christenings you found - Margereta is Latin - I presume Sarah is Latin as well
a good mornings work between us I would say ...fingers crossed
obviously write all those records down on paper - but I would think you will be adding them to your tree very soon - unless someone comes up with different info ....
speak soon
allan