Author Topic: CHARLES ASHTON GRONNOW  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
CHARLES ASHTON GRONNOW
« on: Sunday 11 July 04 20:37 BST (UK) »
I have the following death certificate of one Charles Ashton Gronnow aged 67 who died in 1911 in the Cheshire Asylum Upton by Chester. His occupation was "Personal Servant of Trevallyn, Allington near Wrexham".
It would appear that Charles lived in the shadows, I can find no trace of birth, nor does he appear on the 81, 91 or 01 Census. I am aware there was a large house of Trevallyn, could he perhaps have worked there? I would love to hear from anyone who has experience of this area.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CHARLES ASHTON GRONNOW
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 05 15:16 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you have made any progress with this?

I haven't found Charles either, but in 1881 there are several GRONNOW families living in the vicinity of Trevalyn Hall, Allington.  The nature of their jobs suggest they may have worked on the estate.  the hall was owned by Boscawen J G BOSCAWEN, JP and landowner.

I found this fascinating site, which has a picture of the Hall.  Apparently Trefalun is the oldname for Allington

http://www.rossett.org.uk/ron_gallery.php?mode=item&item=0000007

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
Re: CHARLES ASHTON GRONNOW
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 05 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots ;)

I too found the site, a few years back, and left a message on the board. But thanks for trying to help,  MUCH appreciated ;)

Still Have not found Charles, his birth is not registered, only his death. Some of our relations like to stay out of the light.

Regards.