Author Topic: William Paul, Scotland to New Zealand  (Read 20183 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Paul, Scotland to New Zealand
« Reply #81 on: Sunday 03 November 13 22:46 GMT (UK) »
James is off gallivanting at the moment, but I'm sure he'll check in again soon.

Thank you everyone for the latest updates.

Anne (James' pal!)   :)

Offline helendg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Small world - (I'm following this thread as I'm the person who left the thread about searching for a William Paul ex Scotland - hoping to find his arrival into NZ).  Your William, in Palmerston is not mine, but as I live in Central Otago, I am happy to photograph the grave for you.  If you receive the grave details, please post here and I will pop by the cemetery next time I'm in Palmerston.

I'm now wondering if the William Paul who arrived on May 11, 1865 is my one?  I have one of his brothers (Walter) living in Auckland and another brother (George) living in Otago, so not sure where he would pick to live.  My William (born 1824) is from Dunbartonshire (father John Paul, mother Ann Filshie) - last 'find' was the 1841 census when he was listed as a tailor's apprentice.

Palmerston is not too far from where I'm living, so happy to help another Paul family member  :)
PAUL - from Scotland to New Zealand

Offline helendg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 19:39 GMT (UK) »
James,  a 'light bulb' just went off as "Carston Farm" rang bells with me.  I know that your William Paul is not mine, but think there may be a connection in Scotland as my William Paul has a g-g-grandfather called William - who lived in Killearn.  You mention that your William was born on 16 Feb 1830 and his father was also named William.  Do you have details of who this early William was married to, ie how far back have you been able to go?   I have details to early 1700s and happy to share. Regards Helen DeLilla (nee Paul)

Offline helendg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 21:30 GMT (UK) »
James, Just going back thru my Scotland files and I believe that the census record you have for a Robert Paul, ploughman could possibly be one of mine.  Does your census record have the name of the farm?  If it's the same record as the one I have, I may be able to eliminate him from your search in Scotland as I have a fairly large file on this individual.  I'm trying to sort out the Scottish side (family groupings) in order to sort out the New Zealand Pauls - as confusing.  Following this chat has helped me as I was 'hoping' that this William was mine and was about to order his death record (you guys have saved me time and money).

Offline DebbJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 07 May 17 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just registered to this site after doing a search for Charles Lowen Cook. I have photos and info on William and Elizabeth Paul also photos of the Cook family from Palmerston. Can also provide information for Elizabeth Jane Cook as she was my grandmother.

Offline DebbJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am a granddaughter of Jean Elizabeth Cook and have just registered on this site. I have photos of William Paul and Elizabeth Porter also a lovely photo taken approx 1900 of Jean and William. Also photos of all the Cook family.

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi DebbJ,

Welcome to RootsChat. Apanderson should receive notification of your reply to her topic.

In the meantime can I suggest that you reply once more (just a smiley will do). This will activate your Personal Message (PM) facility and let you send and receive 'offline' messages. Then you can send Apanderson your email address and other information.

See http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php for a guide on Personal Messages.

If you have any questions on how to use RootsChat feel free to ask on the topic. Everyone is keen to help.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline DebbJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 01:20 BST (UK) »
 :) :)

Offline DebbJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Friday 22 December 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
 :) I see that it has been a long time since anyone has posted on this topic. I would love to add some information to it as I am a relative of William Paul.