Author Topic: William Paul, Scotland to New Zealand  (Read 20233 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Paul, Scotland to New Zealand
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 September 13 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

Many, many, many thanks for all the information posted so far.

majm - I'll have a look at that link later, thank you.

Lucy - Yes, William did have a younger brother Robert, born 1835/36 at Drumbeg, Killearn.

I think I might have found them arriving in NZ (via Auckland City Library).

William Paul, aboard 'Belgravia', arriving May 10th 1861
Robert Paul, aboard 'Columbus', arriving October 10th 1864

I don't know how long the voyage would have taken from Scotland to New Zealand, but presumably he had left before 7th/8th April 1861 as we can't locate him on that census.

The last 'tentative' sighting of Robert was in 1861 as a Ploughman on a Farm in Lanarkshire.

Anne  :)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 September 13 13:47 BST (UK) »

Lucy - Yes, William did have a younger brother Robert, born 1835/36 at Drumbeg, Killearn.

I think I might have found them arriving in NZ (via Auckland City Library).

William Paul, aboard 'Belgravia', arriving May 10th 1861
Robert Paul, aboard 'Columbus', arriving October 10th 1864

Hi Anne

Unfortunately there is an error on the Auckland Library website concerning the listing of "a William PAUL per ship "Belgravia" said to have arrived in Auckland on 10 May 1861".

The "Belgravia" actually arrived in Auckland on 10 May 1865 and all passengers (including William PAUL) are also listed in a newspaper article - "New Zealand Herald" (Auckland) - 11 May 1865.

------

Robert PAUL - per "Columbus" (to Auckland, October 1864) ... appears to have been accompanied by an Elizabeth PAUL and (apparently) 3 females, all named Margaret PAUL ? (no ages or place of origin given unfortunately).    "Daily Southern Cross" - 11 October 1864 - Port of Auckland, Miscellaneous :

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 September 13 14:55 BST (UK) »

I then found an 'In Memoriam' notice in the Otago Daily Times, Issue 17809, 16th December 1919:

"Paul. In fond and loving memory of William Paul, who died at Palmerston South, December 16th 1908. Inserted by his loving grand-daughter, Jean E. Cook."

Hello Anne

I'm fairly certain that the grand-daughter Jean E. COOK, was the child of William and Elizabeth PAUL's daughter, Elizabeth.

NZ Birth

1867 - PAUL - Elizabeth
Parents:   William and Elizabeth

NZ Marriage

Elizabeth PAUL -- Charles Lowen COOK -- 1893
---------------------

NZ Birth

1895 - COOK - Elizabeth Jane
Parents:   Elizabeth and Charles

The name "Jean E." though, seems to be a "play" on the names she was given at birth -- "Elizabeth Jane".    [Jean, as you probably know, is another form of the name Jane, and with a mother and grandmother both named "Elizabeth", the child likely was known by a diminutive of one of her christian names.]

Can confirm that she appears as Elizabeth Jane COOK, spinster, on the 1919 Oamaru electoral roll living with her parents (Elizabeth and Charles Lowen COOK) at Ronaldsay Street, Palmerston.
On that same roll, Elizabeth PAUL, widow*, Maggie PAUL*, spinster and Robert PAUL*, labourer, are also resident at Ronaldsay Street (with a similar listing in 1911).
[*Elizabeth PAUL = the widow of William PAUL, Maggie (Margaret) and Robert PAUL, children of William and Elizabeth.]

Elizabeth Jane COOK married a William CULLINAN in 1921.   He died in 1931 and in 1935 & 1938, she is living back at Ronaldsay Street, Palmerston.    Whether there were children of the CULLINAN union, is not known.   I also have not yet found her death.
                                                                                                 see next    >>

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 September 13 15:09 BST (UK) »
Jean E. COOK

Interestingly the memoriam notices for William PAUL (1914 and 1915) confirmed that Jean E. had four brothers :

Here are their births :

1894 - COOK - Charles William - s/o Elizabeth & Charles Louen [sic] COOK

1897 - COOK - Victor Alexander - s/o Elizabeth & Charles COOK

1901 - COOK - Robert George Craddock Montague - s/o Elizabeth & Charles Lowen COOK

1909 - COOK - Cyril Howden - s/o Elizabeth and Charles Lowen COOK

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 September 13 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

Will post further on William PAUL tomorrow.   I'm still endeavouring to sort him out from another man of the same name. ;D

I suspect though that "your" William PAUL is probably the man who features in the newspapers as a champion ploughman (and later a judge of ploughing competitions).

Need also to confirm just who his children were (if possible) - can't see others who are researching this family.   It all takes time.  :D

~   Lu

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 September 13 15:48 BST (UK) »
Wonderful stuff Lu - thank you!!!

All the offspring of this particular family had been put on hold for quite a while until I just happened to come across the wee snippet in the Glasgow Herald confirming William's death. Of course now .... they're number one on the agenda and I really don't know if we'd have got anywhere near the amount of info you (and others) have been kind enough to find for us.

The other Pauls you found arriving on the 'Columbus' are quite possibly William & Robert's siblings - there were quite a few of them and as yet, we haven't delved into their adventures.

The person whom I'm trying to help is the 1st cousin, 3 x removed of William Paul and he is absolutely over the moon with the response (and so am I)!

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 September 13 17:18 BST (UK) »
Tried to send you a PM Lu and got a message saying you don't receive PM's?

Anne  ???

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 September 13 23:48 BST (UK) »
Yes sorry, no access to PM's in this forum.

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 09 September 13 08:34 BST (UK) »
Lu -if posssible, could you post a link so we can see the info of all the Paul 'passengers please?

"Robert PAUL - per "Columbus" (to Auckland, October 1864) ... appears to have been accompanied by an Elizabeth PAUL and (apparently) 3 females, all named Margaret PAUL ? (no ages or place of origin given unfortunately).    "Daily Southern Cross" - 11 October 1864 - Port of Auckland, Miscellaneous"

We might be able to figure out who they were by the usual 'process of elimination'