Author Topic: Donald McInnes of Townsville.  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Dunganess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald McInnes of Townsville.
« on: Saturday 07 September 13 22:31 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the McInnes family of Townsville.
Don McInnes came to Townsville in 1909 and died 7/07/1947.
According to his obituary he was born at Taree on the manning River and was  1 of a family of 11 children, 10 boys and 1 girl. He started work as a butcher near Lismore then went to the Western Australia goldfields to supply meat to the miners. When the Boer War broke out he supplied cattle, sheep and horses to the army. From supplying horses to the army he became interested in horse racing and and moved to Townsville where the McInnes stable raced horses throughout Australia, Johannesburg and Manilia. At one time he owned Debella, Sonia Downs and Argyle stations near Julia creek. In 1911 he married Mary Fredrica Slattery. Any help with my search will be appreciated

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Donald McInnes of Townsville.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 September 13 23:12 BST (UK) »

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 September 13 23:41 BST (UK) »
So your looking for Donald's birth and parents? Just double checking so members arent looking for info you may already have  ;)

Do you know where Donald and Mary married?

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 September 13 00:50 BST (UK) »
HI

I am in Townsville so if i can help please let me know

Daizi :D
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 September 13 02:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you would like to make a start on possibilities for the siblings, search here.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?SessionID=41472777&event=births

I think his parents may have been John and Mary.

Have a look and if you need more help, let us know what is it exactly you are wanting to learn. ;D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 September 13 03:01 BST (UK) »
When the Qld BDM started the new version of their website they eliminated the mothers' maiden surname from many of the death index entries.  They won't acknowledge that there is a problem so it is unlikely to be fixed anytime soon.  I can tell you from another resource that Donald's mother's maiden surname is recorded as McPHERSON on his death cert.

https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/termsSubmit.m

Don McInnes ....... died 7/07/1947.

He actually died 8 June 1947.

Debra  :)

Offline Dunganess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 September 13 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi all, thanks for the information. I have located his resting place in the Belgian Gardens Cemetry.
 Have also found an article in Spidens history of QLD motor sport where he won a car race in 1925 at Ross River Raceway. There are numerous articles on his business and horse racing exploits in the newspapers - Cairns Post & Townsvile Daily Bulletin.
 I am having difficulty trying to match the 10 boys and 1 daughter mentioned in his obituary to the John & Mary McPherson in the NSW BDM historical search.
I would like to trace his family back to either Scotland or Ireland so any small breakthrough would be appreciated

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 September 13 00:35 BST (UK) »
His QLD marriage cert. should have his parents names and hopefully his mother's maiden name.

1911/C3468   Slattery   Mary Fredrica   McInnes   Donald

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 September 13 06:26 BST (UK) »
Ohh great,  sounds like you have made progress,  if you need / want me to go to Belgian Gardens Cemetery and get pics am able to do that

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland