Author Topic: ORR FAMILY County Down  (Read 23284 times)

Offline Valsgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ORR FAMILY County Down
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 May 11 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I've discovered that looking for Orrs in Ireland or Scotland is like looking for Smith families in England.
My interest in the Orr family stems from my Grandfather's employer, Thomas Orr in Lower Hutt, near Wellington, NZ. The Orr family owned a large parcel of land & a (now Historic Trust) large home in Lower Hutt.

When my Gr Father migrated from Kilkeel Co. Down he straight away found work as a market gardener with Orrs. The Patriarch, Robert Orr migrated to NZ in the late 1800s. I have been trying to connect this Orr family to Co. Down, to find the reason why my Grandparents chose NZ over USA, where Grandfather's siblings migrated to. I have a recent posting on this Forum, under the New Zealand section.

The only information I require is Robert Orr's (b abt.1852 - d 1932) birthplace, or record of migration.
Thanks, Valsgirl

Offline tomwdcraftr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 01:25 BST (UK) »
I have a GG Grandmother who was Margaret Orr (b between 1815 and 1826). Said born in County Antrim to a David Orr and Catherine. She married my GG Grandfather John McMullan in Downpatrick, Down in 1845 at St Margaret's (Church of Ireland). They had a Son, Arthur McMullan also baptized at St Margaret's in 1845. (Note: Revised info as of 6/5/2011:  A researcher in Ireland has found a new record of this marriage, and it happened at the Church of Ireland Cathedral in Downpatrick, and the date was actually May 2, 1844 not 1845. There were 2 witnesses at the marriage, a Daniel Hurst & a William George Hurst who was also a shoemaker. )

They were said to have lived in Belfast at one time? They emigrated to Quebec between 1845 and 1847.

Would love to know more about any!!

Thanks!!  Tom McMillan (Washougal, WA)

Offline Richard Malone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Tom,
                I have no reason to disbelieve what you say, and therefor we are surely related. Margaret Ann Malone Maried Thomas John McMullan in Downpatrick Church of Ireland on 18thJune 1918. Margaret was born 23.09.1892 and died 06.12.1979 while Thomas was born 01.05.1876 and died 31.08.1965.Both are buried in the family plot in the Parish Church where they were married. Margaret Ann was my Grandfathers younger sister. Grandad (Samuel Walmsley Malone) was born 10.10.1889. Hope to hear from you soon cousin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards,
Richard Malone

Offline tomwdcraftr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard

Great to hear from you!!! I sent you a private message here at rootschat

Look forward to finding out more!!

Thanks!!  Cousin Tom

Offline adijoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 19 June 17 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Any chance of some help please, I have Thomas Orr 1837 Ireland & Matilda Orr 1845 Ireland.

I found the following marriage on an old cached website: a pictorial history by Derek Beattie - Stevenson Family www.newtownards.info/family-stevenson.htm.

"Stevenson, Matilda - 12th. July 1867 - {Father John Stevenson a weaver} - Married Thomas Orr - {Father William Orr a shoemaker} Witnessed by James and Margaret Dalzell"

Thomas and Matilda appear to of had a their first son William John Orr in 1870 Devonport, Plymouth, Devonshire, England.

I'm Struggling to locate Thomas and his father William and Matilda and her father John in the 1841 census.

Any information or pointers regarding researching this family would be much appreciated.

Regards

Adrian

Primary Interests:
Joy, Rapley, Felgate, Gosling, Roker, Gadd, Skilton, Blundell, Haybittle, Ruddle.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 08:32 BST (UK) »
Son William John was baptised 1869-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NPNW-WYG

The first complete census for Ireland is 1901- only fragments of earlier ones for a few places survive.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline adijoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 24 June 17 07:42 BST (UK) »
Son William John was baptised 1869-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NPNW-WYG

The first complete census for Ireland is 1901- only fragments of earlier ones for a few places survive.

Thank you Aghadowey,

How would I go about trying to locate Thomas orr, I am sure he was born 1837 in Newtownards, Down, as this is shown in his military records and I think his family were Presbyterian, And I have his fathers name from the marriage, but what I don't know is how and where to find records pulling this together?

Primary Interests:
Joy, Rapley, Felgate, Gosling, Roker, Gadd, Skilton, Blundell, Haybittle, Ruddle.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 24 June 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
Only 'birth record' will be his baptism (if it exists but many records not online).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!