Author Topic: Help please with Alexander Gow and Isabelle alexandrine Simon in Singapore  (Read 4506 times)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help please with Alexander Gow and Isabelle alexandrine Simon in Singapore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 October 15 21:22 GMT (UK) »
This is a shot into the dark, but I have a photo from 1939 Malaya of a family friend by the name "Mrs Gow" May have been taken around KL. My aunt worked at The Rubber Institute.
I may have another shot someplace if it's the right Gow family?
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline gloucester girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 October 15 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Really sorry I dont know the answer.  It seems very probable.  The family were in KL  at the  time, do you have an address?  I will look at the pictures I do have, it may well the wife of one of the 3 brothers.

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 November 15 19:29 GMT (UK) »
I don't have any address but I might have a better view of the home which may match up to something you have, I'll check and post as soon as I can find it. I'm in the process of sorting photos so getting beter organized all the time

Offline cjc22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 January 18 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Alexander Gow and Isabelle Alexandrine Simon were my great grandparents. My grandmother was their daughter, Agnes Gow who married Tjong Tiong Oei. Agnes Gow died in Hong Kong around 1944. I have a copy of Alexander Gow's birth certificate as well as a copy of the internment register in Singapore. If anyone has more information on Isabelle Simon, it would be appreciated. Was she French/English?

Offline cjc22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 March 20 09:47 BST (UK) »
Is anyone still looking for this information? I have some on Alexander Gow. I have a copy of his birth certificate. He was born on September 29th, 1868 at 4 a.m. in Brewlands Bridge, Glenisla. He died July 7th, 1943 in Changi Internment Camp, allegedly executed by the Japanese in front of his son John and daughter Janet. His wife, Isabelle Alexandrine Simon died in September, 1939 but I have no more information on her. I had also heard she was French but an earlier post here mentions a Charles Thompson Simon (her father?) which would not be a French name. Does anyone have any further info? I would be very appreciative of a response. We're trying to piece together as much info as we can but it is difficult with so much time having passed.

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 00:41 BST (UK) »
Here's another photo showing the Gow home around 1938. Maybe it will match something in your own pictures or albums. That would be Mrs Gow on the right. I should add that this may be a different Gow, or as was mentioned, possibly one of the brothers. I also have a letter from a young girl by the name Gillian Gow that was sent to my mother after the war. Gillian seems to have been living in England at the time and my mother was in Hollywood, CA