Author Topic: INGE family possibly born in Folkestone  (Read 2507 times)

Offline pigletlovesfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
INGE family possibly born in Folkestone
« on: Tuesday 10 September 13 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could please help me with tracing my elusive INGE.

The family line is certain tracing the line backwards until John, born about 1831 in St Andrews’s, Holborn, to Mary Ann, a laundress born in Folkestone.

In 1851 he was shown with a sister, Susannah, born 1820 in Folkestone, and his widowed mother Mary Ann also born in Folkestone. His marriage certificate shows his father was Richard, and I have discovered the burial of a Richard INGE in St James, Clerkenwell, at the 1851 census address, shortly before the census. He was a plumber according to the 1841 census and his son’s marriage certificate.

The person I am searching for is Susannah INGE who, according to the 1851 census, was born in Folkestone, around 1820. FindMyPast have 2 possible records, to a Mary Ann and May Inge. The 1821 child died the following year. The other one was born in 1824 to the same parents, but these all occurred in Littlebourne, St Vincent where May was a malster.

In 1841 this May Inge couple are still in Kent, with children, including a Susannah. But I have also found Rch INGE, a plumber, with Mary Ann and Jno in 1841, although this census has Y; ie they were all born in London, even though 1851 says Mary Ann was born in Kent.

In 1851 my Susannah Inge was presumably married as she is shown as a Macgregor with a son. Newspaper reports in 1842 show her as Inge still and I cannot find a marriage for her. I have family letters placing her in America, and writing to a Mary Ann, possibly her niece, in England, so I know that she belonged to this family and family lore talks about her activities in London. These were widely reported in the Northern Star.

In conclusion, then, I am looking for her baptism in Folkestone, possibly, to prove that Richard was her father. It could be that she was born out of wedlock. I have also  tried FreeReg, Medway Ark and the IGI with no success.

Many thanks for any ideas on what to do next, or even a lookup in the Folkestone registers.

Piglet

Falconer, Coltman, Hayden, Samuel, Parnell, Croton, Howard, Ash, Gooch, Mason, Brister, Pain, Thompson, Mackman, Ogden, Travers, Gwyer, Page, Hooper, Rayner, Joiner, Tancock, Saward, Reynolds, Langford, Lacey, Randall, Large, Bacon, Robinson, Jones, Mallors, Venables, Elms, Clarke, Chambers, Sefton, Pickstone, Sansum, Wood, Polick, Crane, Colls, Pickstone, Harding

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: INGE family possibly born in Folkestone
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 21:00 BST (UK) »
Susanna Inge AUSTIN baptised 9 Feb 1820 Folkestone dau of Richard Inge AUSTIN and Mary Ann http://www.familysearch.org I would imagine is a good possibility ........... the original baptism should show his occupation which may help.

There was also a daughter, Elizabeth, baptised Folkestone 1 May 1822 (buried 19 Mar 1828 Folkestone)

Robert Bazeley Inge AUSTIN baptised 11 Dec 1825 Marylebone son of Richard and Mary Ann AUSTIN of Drummond St, St Pancras - glazier (born 21 March)

Richard Inge AUSTIN married Mary Ann KITE 7 Sep 1819 Folkestone.

1870 census Brooklyn, Kings, New York
Mary INGE 73 b.England keeping house
Susannah McGREGOR 50 b.England fur sewer
James 23 b.England fur cutter

I think she emigrated in 1857 aboard the Amazon age 37 with James age 10.

The nearest birth registration I can see for James MacGregor in the Holborn district is that of a James Mc Gregor AUSTIN March quarter 1847 ref. 2 140 which, if it is him, would suggest that Susannah wasn't married.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 14:14 BST (UK) »
Goodness,what a quick reply.  ;D

Thank you so much. I was able to view the originals on FindMyPast and see that you have indeed found my family as Richard was a plumber, glazier and painter. His occupation is variations on these three for the various baptisms.

I can still not find John, but as her letters home to family in England mention names in our tree as being niece etc I know that I have the right family. I shall now try searching under Austin.

What I now wonder is why the name INGE became the surname after 1825. Yes she did emigrate and talks about the problems she was running away from. An illegitimate son must be one of her reasons. Thank you too for finding her son. I had wondered if he was born out of wedlock as there is no trace in the 1857 immigration of the father and S always describes herself as a widow in the census and in Directories.

I found her mother with her in 1870 but not in 1880 or in 1900, then S died in 1902 in Brooklyn.

Many many thanks for your wonderful help in expanding this tree. If you google Susannah Inge you will see why I needed to complete her story. Her letters home are so full of sadness.

Pigletlovesfamily
Falconer, Coltman, Hayden, Samuel, Parnell, Croton, Howard, Ash, Gooch, Mason, Brister, Pain, Thompson, Mackman, Ogden, Travers, Gwyer, Page, Hooper, Rayner, Joiner, Tancock, Saward, Reynolds, Langford, Lacey, Randall, Large, Bacon, Robinson, Jones, Mallors, Venables, Elms, Clarke, Chambers, Sefton, Pickstone, Sansum, Wood, Polick, Crane, Colls, Pickstone, Harding

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 September 13 16:02 BST (UK) »
On the death index at www.italiangen.org, there is a death of Mary A. Inge, age 71 on 7 Oct. 1871 in Kings Co. (Brooklyn).

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 September 13 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this date. I had forgotten about this website as most of my relatives remained in the UK. I am very grateful to you both for finding these records. This is the right area for Mary Ann, although her birth date is slightly out, a not uncommon occurrence.

Aren't these wonderful, giving the actual date of death? if only our British ones were like this.

Offline markcrail

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 January 16 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I was really excited to find your discussion of Susannah Inge. I run the Chartist Ancestors website (www.chartists.net) and have some information about her activities as a Chartist speaker, but when I wrote about her a few years ago was unable to find out anything about her life outside Chartism (http://www.chartists.net/women-chartists/city-of-london-female-chartists-association/).

Thanks to the information you have shared here, I will be able to add some background about her life. Thank you so much for sharing!

I know this is a long shot, but I don't suppose you know of any surviving pictures of Susannah, or whether she ever mentioned her days as a Chartist in the letters you have from her?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 February 16 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,
I feel rather guilty  that I have still not written the article I promised to you some years ago, about Susannah. I take the letters away with me on most holidays but never seem to get it written. Now I know why. Just now I had an email to say that a photo of her has been found. It is being scanned in and hopefully I should have it soon.
This is great news, and is spurring me on.
Lorna

Offline markcrail

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 February 16 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorna
I think age must be getting to me - I'd totally forgotten that we'd talked about this before. Must have been a fair while ago now!
But wow, a photograph. That is very exciting. I would love to see it and better still get permission to use it on the website. I can't think of any other photographs of genuine female Chartists, and I know a lot of people would be thrilled to see it).
Would it be possible to see scans of any of the letters you have? If you wanted to get in touch outside of this space, the email address I had when we previously were in contact will long since have been scrapped. Not sure if it's allowed to post such things on here, but if not it's my username on here at g mail. Hopefully that will get through.
Best wishes,
Mark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 February 16 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,
Now I do not feel so old! I have replied to you, on both com and co.uk. Oh I do have your gmail addy, so it cannot be more than 3 years since we were last in contact? Can it?
Lorna