Author Topic: Reimer Rosina, Franz, Matthias & Sabina West Ham  (Read 11043 times)

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reimer Rosina, Franz, Matthias & Sabina West Ham
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 11:08 BST (UK) »
 Seems as  if  Franz/Francis    didn't  live  long after  1901 census , those  little  kids  had  a  hard    early life  it seems

Francis Reimer

Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1853

Date of Registration:
Jul-Aug-Sep 1901

Age at Death:

Registration District:
West Ham

Offline jabbrobb2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 September 13 13:09 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all of you for all the information.  It seems that I dont have much more info than you have apart from the possibility that Rosina had yet another older child Kathleen (news to me) and of her death.  I do know that Rosina was in the poor house in 1901 with her two sisters....I have searched for more info on Franz's family but being in Germany have not had a chance to access any info.  Hannah's family go back to 1400's to the Fryers, Colversons, Fords.
I feel as tho I am hitting a brick wall with Rosina and am anxious to find out what may have happened to her.....I know that Alice became a missionary nun in Fiji and she used to write to me but unfortunately there was no evidence in the letters relating to Rosina.  Sorry but cannot put any more light onto the subject.....

Offline ashleys

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 19:46 BST (UK) »
My my grandmother is Olive Louisa (Lizzie) Reimer born 1887 and sister to Rosina, Alice, Francis and William.

My knowledge of the family history is limited and my father was always  rather vague and so I don't have any info on Rosina.  He often spoke about Alice the Nun although he said she was in Georgetown, Guyana.  I understand she came to England in the late 1950's and recently my cousin mentioned that before joining the mission she was a prostitute in London.

I have a number of  letters from a William Reimer in New Zealand (from 1991) about his family search that are very hard to read.  One day I will work through them and record them properly but brief look suggests they are vague about the daughter Rosina and in fact refer to her as Rose.  There is mention of a photo of Aunt Alice and "another woman" taken in Manhattan in 1960 which could be Rosina.  Also a photo of Harry son of Rose?

There is a letter regarding a Rifleman Francis Matthew Reimer who died in France on 9th May 1915 age 19. 

From memory my grandmother married my grandfather Herbert Thomas Stock in 1906 and she died in 1973.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 20:26 BST (UK) »
Rifleman Reimer's service records give a lot of useful info on the family

Father and mother - none

Brother
William, aged 21, 458 Green St, Upton Park

Sisters
Olive Louisa Stock, aged 33, 458 Green St, Upton Park
Alice Reimer, 26, Convent of Mercy, Shernhall St, Waltham...
Rose Reimer, 28,   Convent of Mercy, Shernhall St, Waltham...
Mrs Ellen Vaubuskok, 31, 10 East 33rd St, Bayonne, New Jersey

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 22:07 BST (UK) »
Ellen Sabina Reimer appears to have married Henry Franklin with kids to them up to 1917 so where does Vaubuskok come in?

It's possible this is her in 1930:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X4J8-QWW?cc=1810731

If so, Ellen S Franklin m. Peter W Kelly in 1919 (freebmd again).
http://www.ellisisland.org shows Ellen Sabina Kelly heading to the US in 1920.  She is travelling with husband Peter and daughter (listed under "Kelly") to Bayonne.  "Mrs Stock" is their relative in the UK.  Peter was born in Utica, NY.

So Ellen went off to the US with an American husband (not sure what happened to first husband or why only one of her kids seem to have gone with her) - this could be the source of the story about Rosina, or perhaps Rosina went to stay with her?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
Also, just because the address is a convent, it doesn't mean the  sisters are nuns. They could be working as domestics or with the inmates of the various institution the order ran on that site.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 22:35 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify, the record for Rifleman Reimer dates from 1914 on his attestation - he dies in 1915.

i have a suspicion that William Reimer changes his name to Reader - there is a medal card in both names, noting a name change and with the same service no.

Offline jabbrobb2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hello to you all

Many thanks for your kind help in looking for Rosina (Rose) Reimer.  I will collate all the info that you have given me and work along those lines.  I was surprised to hear that we may have had a prostitute in our family but under the circumstances I suppose they were extremely poor and did not have the guidance that was needed.

If there is any more info then please keep it coming.

Yes Kathleen was an elder sister of my mother Hilda Mary.....so sad that she knew nothing about her sibling before she died in 2011.

I also have a letter from William Reimer posted in 1992 to my mother in which he gives a good amount of info (that is where I began my search).  I wrote a letter to the address but no-one seems to know anything about him as the address is a 'company' address.  He spoke about his family of boys.  His youngest son Paul would be about 50ish now but again dont know how to find any more details.

Offline ReimerReeder2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 April 14 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hello to all,

I stumbled across this thread via a google search and had to join RootsChat right away! I hope this thread is still active, and my apologies for being so new to this!

I am a grandson of William Reeder, the one that sent you all letters in 1991-1992. I am a son of one of the boys he speaks of in his letters to you - he also had two girls. Paul is my Uncle.

My grandfather passed away last year, leaving us grandchildren to continue his family research.

We know Rosina as Rose in our records, born 1892. That is all we have. I can also confirm William James Reimer changed his name to Reeder (an only slight variation from Reader). Both he and his wife Violet (my great grandparents) took this name. My grandfather and grandmother changed their names to Reeder-Reimer so as to carry both. My Grandmother still has it.

Ashleys, if you are having trouble with the legibility of the letters it would be an honour to help you out. We have become accustomed to our Grandfather's handwriting :P

I hope to hear from you soon, I am sorry I cannot give any more help regarding Rosina, but am happy to have stumbled across this thread.

Kind regards,
Vincent