Author Topic: SHIP 'WAR SPIRIT' NB 1854  (Read 6038 times)

Offline S.Schollum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SHIP 'WAR SPIRIT' NB 1854
« on: Wednesday 11 September 13 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I have just joined Rootschats.  I am interested in obtaining a copy of an image of the 'WAR SPIRIT'  and, indeed, any more information about it, eg where it was built, where it sailed, etc
My initial information is that the 'WAR SPIRIT' was built in/around 1854, 1234 tons, somewhere in New Brunswick, by unknown,  and sailed to Liverpool where it was registered in Lloyd's Register 1856-57 edition.
Sailed to Melbourne, Austalia in March - June 1857, but then nothing more is known until it sailed to New Zealand in Mar-June 183 (150 years ago, hence this research!)
If anyone can supply information, it would be much appreciated
Thanks
Stephen
Please email me @: 
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SHIP 'WAR SPIRIT' NB 1854
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 17:09 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Salter

http://monctonpubliclibrary.ca

www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nbwestmo/

Tantramar Heritage Trust
http://heritage.tantramar.com

The War Spirit was built in the shipyards owned by Joseph Salter, probably in the Moncton area of NB. The sites above may give you more information especially if you contact them directly. Joseph Salter was also the first mayor of Moncton so you should be able to get info at the Moncton Library. There is a monument in Moncton of Joseph Salter. Do an internet search for Moncton 100 Monument - Joseph Salter.

The Council of Archives New Brunswick has the G & J Salter Fonds 1847-1866 but I am not sure what info they contain. I think you will probably have a hard time finding a photo of the ship as it was sent off to Britain shortly after construction. You will find passenger lists on line for this ship on its voyages to Australia and New Zealand. Hope this will give you a start on finding the information you seek.
Val

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome,

More info on Warspirit

1863 departure - Sailing from Gravesend

http://puhoihistoricalsociety.org.nz/ships.html

http://www.robocker.com/genealogy/warspirit.html

Steve

**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline S.Schollum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Val and Steve
Many thanks to you both for your very useful assistance and links, and given so promptly!
Val: you information is probably the first major breakthrough in over 5 years of searching
Ironically, I have visited Moncton twice: in 1988 and in 2007 when I was researching information about my grandmother's family: Daniel McAuley, who lived in Rexton-Richibucto, and who built the "Our Hope' and sailed it out to New Zealand, arriving 3 August 1863.
The 'War Spirit, also built in NB, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand, on 17th June 1863, so within 6 weeks I have 2 links with NB
Living almost half way around the world away, it is difficult to undertake 'on-the-ground' research, so I do appreciate the very helpful  assistance given by anonymous and generous researchers
My research into the 'War Spirit' reveals that it took 245 passengers to Melbourne Australia in Mar-Jun 1857, and there were 140 'other' passengers to New Zealand in Mar-Jun 1863 in addition to the 82 Bohemians. It is a real shame that on those 100-plus sailing days, some-one didn't sketch the ship, write about conditions, etc
Steve: Being on the Puhoi 150th Anniversay Committee, I am aware of the contents, and I have recently located and contacted Carol, whose material has proved very beneficial, so nevertheless thank you for your links. If anyone is interested, the Puhoi links reveal much about our recent celebrations

If anyone reading these postings, and has additional information, please do not hestitate to contact me
Again thanks for your assistance and good luck with your research
Regrds
Stephen

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 September 13 17:10 BST (UK) »

Hello the chances of finding a picture of War Spirit are  pretty slim after talking to the folks at the Memorial University Maritime History Archives site. Someone might have a painting but again very
slim chance.

In case you have not seen this site you might want to check it out
Memorial University Maritime History Archives
www rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nbken/Ship.html enter War Spirit in search Box on bottom of page.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Lilybell :) :)
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline Barry Olver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
My ggggrand father and his brother (Richard & Thomas Olver) saild on the War Spirit from the UK to NZ in 1863. I have also been looking for an image of this vessel without success.
However, in terms of who and where it was built, you can find the if you go onto the following site:
www.maritimearchives.co.uk/lloyds-register.html
The page should come uo with the title Book, Boxes and Boats.
On the right hand side of the page, there is a lot of years; click on 1856 (Essentially you are looking for the LLoyd's Shipping Register of 1856)
The Lloyds Register for that year will come up.
Scroll Down to almost the bottow to the "W" section, and the War Spirit is listed two under War Cloud.
I hope this helps.
Barry Olver

Offline Stephen Schollum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 16 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barry
Thank you very much for your encouraging reply
My belated response is due to the fact that I have just  today returned to Cambridge NZ  from a
Christmas, New Year and family Wedding gathering in Edinburgh.. Summary in one word of our 23 days there: WET.

I continue to irregularly search for information regarding the 'War Spirit'  I still have not located either a print or sketch of her.  However, in April 2014 I visited Moncton, New Brunswick,  and visited the site of the [former] Joseph Salter shipbuilding yard, and found some general material about the WS, etc
I have also found details of a number of voyages she made, especially to Dundee in the 1875s  to where she took cargoes of jute.    I even have a theory as to the origin of her name: she apparently was built as a speculative ship  sold to english ship brokers/merchant bankers to take troops to Crimea and the the term 'War Spirit' may have been appropriate.  Certainly whenever I enter 'War Spirit' into search engines, I get the team meaning the war spirit--either optimistic or despondent, especially when 1863 is added, and the term more often refers to the American civil war..  Alternatively the term brings out searches of spirits sold in times of war, or supplied to soldiers etc.

You are the second descendant of the other emigrants on the WS I have been in contact with.  Did your forebears come out as a result of the offer of the 40 acres of land to intending NZ settlers?  I am still endeavouring to track down the specific legislative authority and signed governor/Executive Council for that 'deal'
Alternatively, were your forebears army personnel sent out to NZ  I have seen a reference to the suggestion that the WS brought out Army Officers to NZ, but nowhere in any record have I seen a list of passengers which suggests that.  I started a search of the all the passengers' name once, looking to see if any details re immigration, status etc,  but gave up as I found very little.  I don't believe I got to Olver. A new task for retirement perhaps.
Have you seen reproductions of 1863 newspaper reports on the arrival of the WS? I can send you copies if you like

Rootsweb doesn't permit me to post my email address, but I am sure I can be located.  I would love to learn more about your families experiences in NZ 
Are you aware of Puhoi.   In 2013 we celebrated the 150th anniversary of the Bohemians' arrival.  I was on the planning committee, and my search for more WS information arose out of a need to provide more information. At this rate it will be 2023!
Thanks again for your interest, advice and reply
Regards
Stephen

Offline Stephen Schollum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 16 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barry
Just an addendum to my earlier message
At lunch time today, I decided to look up references to "Olver  + War Spirit" and found that your great-grandfather joined the army in New Zealand upon arrival, so I wonder whether he came out as a soldier, or joined upon arrival in NZ as the government was recruiting men for the local forces..
About six bohemians joined the 3rd Waikato militia and settled in Ohaupo, just near to where I live in Cambridge.  I am often in contact with a German woman researching Matin Krippner for a PhD at Waikato University.
Regards
Stephen

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 January 17 01:54 GMT (UK) »
I was born in Rexton so this interested me...the next time I go to the nb archives I will take a look to see if I can find any info and also in Moncton :) stay tuned! :)
Kelly, Weatherhead, Wagner, Russell, Smiles (Smailes)