Author Topic: SHIP 'WAR SPIRIT' NB 1854  (Read 6012 times)

Offline Stephen Schollum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHIP 'WAR SPIRIT' NB 1854
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 January 17 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi 
Many thanks for your message.  Yours is the first message received in over two years, so I appreciate your interest and offers.

If you read the trail you will see that I have some more general information regarding the 'War Spirit' since posting my original request

However, although I have gained details of shipping  dates, primarily through newspaper records and advertisements, I still have not located or seen both an image/photo of the WS, and any plans for her.

I doubt whether you will find anything in Rexton regarding the WS, but may find something in Moncton, NB. 

I don't have access to all the books published on NB-built ships, so it is possible that some are in libraries, but not yet digitised and available on the net. 

I plan to return to NB in about 2-3 years to follow up leads.  I have discover another family (John [born around 1793] and Margaret, nee Delaney/Delany [born around 1801]  Fitzpatrick) from Chatham, Northumberland, NB, from Waterford Ireland, but I have been unable to locate death records for either of them ,  hence my intention to visit.  I will also return to Rexton to follow up with my Daniel McAuley family research and the "Our Hope"

Thank you again for any assistance you provide.
I understand that I am not permitted to put my email address in these messages, but if you wish to contact me I am fairly easy to locate using McAuley and Rexton etc.  I was very active in the early part of this century seeking information

Regards
Stephen
Cambridge NZ

Offline Tickers59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 November 17 09:10 GMT (UK) »
My husbands great grandfather Poyroo. sailed on this ship aged 14 with his mother from Calcutta to Mauritius in 1875. He was an indentured labourer and remained in Mauritius for the rest of his life. He has travelled from Gaya, Birhar so a huge journey at that time. Thank you for the information.

Offline S.Schollum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 November 17 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi          Many thanks for your reply
I had never consider the 'WarSpirit' sailing from Calcutta to Mauritius, perhaps en route  to Dundee.  Your information certainly adds a new dimension to add to my limited knowledge about the WS

I am still looking for a sketch or photo of the WS, so anyone who has one, you would great assist me making one of my long held dreams
Regards from Cambridge New Zealand

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stephen,

Now that you have made three posts here at RootsChat, you can access the Private/Personal Message feature to exchange personal information such as your email or postal address with another RootsChatter.

The PM icon is the right hand one of the two pictographs below a poster's name. It's green on black when that poster is currently online and white on black when that person is not actually online. In either case, just click on that icon under the name of the poster you wish to contact and the message form will open. Once you have sent a PM, RootsChat will automatically send an email to that person advising him/her that there is a message waiting.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Barry Olver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 07:06 BST (UK) »
Stephen, I wrote to you some time about two brothers (Richard & Thomas Olver) who sailed on the MV War Spirit from Gravesend UK to NZ in 1863, and the joined the Maori Wars. I have been looking for a long time to find a sketch of this vessel (as i think you have) without success. But I may have found a small clue that may help. on the trove nla gov au website for newpapers (Article 154822047), the Age Newspaper dated 5th June 1857 talks about the detention of the "War Spirit". It calls it a "Black Ball Liner" which is a shipping line that owned the "War Spirit". I have googled the "Black Ball Line" and a whole bunch of shipping sketches come up of vessels from this line but no "War Spirit" yet. When you also google this shipping line, a number of books have been written about them which I hope to find copies of soon. Maybe you could help me and have a look through as much info on the "Black Ball Liners" as we can find and see if we can find a sketch of the "War Spirit" - if you look on Linkedin you can contact me that way. Barry Olver