Author Topic: Bosotto from Italy.  (Read 1521 times)

Online jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Bosotto from Italy.
« on: Thursday 12 September 13 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for anything on Arthur Bosotto from Italy. His name comes up a lot on Ancestry.com.
He owned a Hotel in Madras with his brother Atillio Bosotto in the 1940's. Arthur was married to Emily Winifred Norton born in India in 1896. Their son (removed) married Morag Ramsay McQueen.
I would like to know what happened to Arthur. I presume he went back to Italy. (removed) changed his name back to Norton, so I suppose Emily and Arthur got divorced. His brother died in England in 1960.

Thanks.

Offline carol-f

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bosotto from Italy.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 September 13 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have connection with the Bisotto family in Italy they came from the Cittadella, Bassano area
Carol
Furmston, Demo, Mohr, Atkinson, Lindsay, Grieve, McInroy,Huntingford, Carey, Hinds or Hindz, Noad, Swan,

Online jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 September 13 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for your reply. Is there any mention of an Arthur or Atillio in the Bisottos?

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 September 13 14:39 BST (UK) »
Are you sure that "Arthur" and "Atillio" refer to two different men, and "Arthur" isn't an anglicised version of his name Atillio used?

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
 shows several entries for Bosotto - Atillio/Attillio, Emily, and a daughter, travelling in the 1930s to 1950s (various trips) - although no "Arthur".  I suggest you look at the full entries of these if you haven't already to see what additional information is held there.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/
 - secondly, Attilio Bosotto from Italy, resident in India, naturalised in 1940 (his daughter also named). 

- is this Emily's first marriage and the death of her husband just a few months later?   :(
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGJS-BML
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGKZ-1L8

Emily Winifred Bosotto appears to have died in 1981 using that name so there may not have been a divorce - her son may have simply decided to change his name for some reason.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 September 13 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.
I have a marriage certicate of Emily's son (maybe still alive) and it says that the father is Arthur Bosotto. And after the son's name it says "formerly Bosotto". This is why I think they got divorced.
I have been searching this family in Australia in another thread.
Maybe Atillio is a form of Arthur. I hadn't thought of that. Emily remarried after Amon Mann Short died in 1920.

Offline ajshort

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 17 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am actually related to Emily she was my grandmother and Atillio (Arthur) I actually have some of the wine and champagne glasses from the hotel Bossotto. Emily's son, my father died in 2003.

Online jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi ajshort
....and welcome to RootsChat.
I have found all I need to know. If you would like some info I would gladly help out.

Ian

Offline ajshort

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi thank you. I would be interested in details of the son Billy Norton and any details on Athurs hotels and Italian connections. Emily adopted the name Gaynor in later life as did her daughter (my aunt) Gloria. Btw my fathers name was also Amon Mann Short

Offline shreya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 April 18 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi all!!

Please share any information you have on the person who bought The Bosotto in Madras, India.

Thank you.