Author Topic: Flaherty / Roels  (Read 25194 times)

Offline PiecesofTime

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Flaherty / Roels
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 04 February 17 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone noticed how strange the newspaper notice is?

1/ Captain Roels and Mary Ann were married in 1860 not 1862.
2/ Her father was not J. Lethbridge.
3/ I have not been able to find out much about Mary Ann's previous husband, however I suspect (unless anyone knows differently) that he may have been still alive when she married Capt. Roels.
The only reference that I have found which MIGHT be her husband William Jones is in Pre-1839 foreigners in NZ. This site points to a William Jones in the Southland Times, 13 Jan 1898, page 2.
This article says that a William Jones, an old whaler, who resided in Taranaki since early in the 30's, died on Tuesday, aged 89. It does not mention any other useful details.

Of course William Jones is a very hard name to research unless you have some details about the person to start with! So who knows.

It seems very strange to me to put a notice of a marriage in the paper that actually happened 32 years previously and to give a year that is 2 years out. And it is a notice as if the marriage had happened in 1892.

This is altogether a very very strange notice.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 05 February 17 00:27 GMT (UK) »

Press (New Zealand) 17 Jul 1897 p7    ( further to reply #83 and #90)
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP18970717.2.52?query=Letheridge
.......  article old identity  Mrs LETHERIDGE....daughter of HANSON.........Sydney....

Timaru Herald 23 May 1907 p7
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/THD19070523.2.43?query=Letheridge
...obit for this woman Hannah King LETHERIDGE formerly CLAPPHAM nee HANSEN....

might be something to find here.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 05 February 17 02:53 GMT (UK) »

Is this your Mary Ann, b. 1838?

BDM NSW birth
797/1838 V1838797 32A  CLAPHAM Mary A A       parents George / Hannah
798/1841 V1841798 32A  CLAPHAM Thomas C      parents George / Hannah
799/1844 V1844799 32A  CLAPHAM Hannah E      parents George / Hannah

SMH 14 Apr 1860
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13039283?
funeral of Thomas George CLAPHAM step-son of Jeremiah LEITHRIDGE...his residence Sussex St...

SMH 22 Jun 1868  death
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13168218?
On the 26th February, at the Bay of Islands, New Zealand, Mr.JEREMIAH LETHRIDGE, late of Sussex-street, Sydney.

Possibly?......Hannah HANSEN b. 1814 New Zealand....married George CLAPHAM New Zealand.....is de facto wife of Jeremiah LETHERIDGE in Sydney. Daughter Mary Ann is wife of Philip ROELS.

Offline PiecesofTime

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thank you Wivenhoe.

Yes that is my Mary Ann.
I know that her mother married Jeremiah after her first husband was killed. There are lots of details about the family in previous posts. Jeremiah was previously married in 1845 to Sarah Hillier, who died in 1847 and that marriage is under the surname LETHSOW. Hannah and Jeremiah married in 1848. They were married at Independent (Congregational) Sydney, St Phillip's Mariners' Church. They do not seem to be able to get Jeremiah's name correct as it is given differently in a lot of documents, he and Hannah were married under LETHWICH. ???

I don't think that I had the one about poor Thomas' Funeral. It is sad about him. Did you notice that the article above the funeral notice is about his death?

Offline ddenge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Monday 01 May 17 14:44 BST (UK) »
Are there any relatives still alive of Philippus Johannes Roels? I found old picture of Roels with wife and child before leaving Holland to go to Australia.

Offline PiecesofTime

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Friday 05 May 17 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hi ddenge,
I was interested to see your post. I am only related to the Roels through a marriage to an interesting woman named Mary Ann Amelia Clapham who married Phillip John Roels in 1860 in Sydney. This lady used many different names to hide her identity. I think because she did not want her original family to find her. I do not have much information about the Roels family. On the marriage certificate for Mary Ann Amelia who was calling herself at the time HANSEN, it says that her husband Philip John ROELS was born, The Hague, Holland and that his father was Philip Jacobus ROELS, a merchant, and his mother was M.H.A. HALLUNGILLS (I would love to know what the M.H.A. stands for). Philip John ROELS was also sometimes known as Phillipe Jean ROELS or Philip Jean ROELS. He was a mariner and I have traced him on several ships, mostly as master but on one he was listed as the mate on a ship with his nationality given as Netherlands.
This is as far as I have gone with the ROELS family. If you would be willing to send me a copy of the photo that you have (if you think that there is a connection to the family that I am researching) I would be thrilled. (email: gazell @ westnet . com . au) (leave out the spaces of course).

Offline ddenge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Thursday 14 January 21 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Philippus Johannes Roels was a son of Albertus Jacobus Roels and Helena Antonia Maria Hallungius.
Born 31 may 1828 in Rotterdam, Holland.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Friday 15 January 21 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi ddenge and welcome to Rootschat.

"Pieces of Time" hasn't been active on Rootschat since 2017, but some of the other contributors have been more recent. All those who have made posts should get an email telling them of your new post, assuming email addresses are still the same.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richo57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Thursday 02 December 21 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Hannah and Thomas Bratby were my great great grandparents. I have done a lot of research and believe I have solved the mysteries. Hannah's birth name was registered as Ann Sophia Philip. (I am pretty that Mary Ann and John James Philp weren't actually married though) She was the daughter of Mary Ann Amelia Clapham and John James Francis Philp. Mary Ann was also known as Jones, Philp, Flawday, and Hanson before she married Philip John Roels in 1860. It seems she married William Jones at the age of 15 but not sure if she divorced, had the marriage annuled or simply changed her name and left. Mary Ann Amelia Clapham had an Aunt Jane who married a Flowerday and I believe the name Flawday is a shortened version of this and she changed her name so she couldn't be found. Hanson was her mother's maiden name (Hansen spelling). Hannah was also known with several surnames. She was born Philp but named was changed to Flawday to match her mother's name change. When she married Flawday was the name she was registered under. She later changed her maiden surname to Roels when registering the births of her children. My great grandfather's birth and death certificates both have her maiden name as Roels. Hannah's death certificate lists her as Ann S Bratby. I am not sure why she was known as Hannah all her life rather that Ann.