Author Topic: Trying to find Thomas Wallis - Architect - family connections  (Read 3471 times)

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
Trying to find Thomas Wallis - Architect - family connections
« on: Saturday 14 September 13 12:23 BST (UK) »
I have reference in the book – ‘Form and Fancy: Factories and Factory Buildings by Wallis, Gilbert and Partners, 1916-39 by Joan Skinner that Thomas Wallis married on 4 Oct 1899 at Christ Church, Streatham, his first cousin Edith Elizabeth Wallis (abt 1875 in Balham, Surrey – 5 Nov 1946 in Worthing), the daughter of James Wallis (Master Builder) and Sarah (nee Norris) of 42 Streatham Place. It says that the respective fathers of Thomas and Edith were brothers and the sons of Thomas Wallis and his wife Charlotte (nee Copling).

I have traced Thomas Wallis (22 June 1873 in Norwood, Surrey - 4 May 1953 in Worthing) married to Edith Elizabeth Wallis (abt 1875 in Balham, Surrey – 5 Nov 1946 in Worthing),

His grandfather was
Thomas Wallis (1817 in Reigate, Surrey - 27 January, 1889 in Norwood, Surrey) married to Charlotte Copland (not Copling) (1819 in Brixton, Surrey - 19 April 1895 in Norwood, Surrey). He was a Bricklayer/Builder and Publican of The Bricklayers Arms, 29 Chapel Road, West Norwood SE27. His great grandfather was possibly James Wallis, born 1787 who was a Bbricklayer married to Mary.They had ten children - Edward Samuel, Thomas James, Charlotte, Emily, Albert, Benjamin, Elizabeth, Alice Maria, Ellen and Marian Wallis.

His father was
Thomas James Wallis (abt 1841 in Norwood, Surrey - ???) married to Sarah Ann Hinslea (abt 1838 in Sheffield, Yorkshire - 1898 in Lambeth, Surrey). He was a Bricklayer, later a Builder and Grocer in Norwood, Lambeth, London.

Thomas became a famous Architect setting up Wallis, Gilbert and Partners who were responsible for an impressive numbers of buildings, including the Firestone Tyre Factory and Victoria Coach Station.

My problem is that Thomas’s wife - Edith Elizabeth Wallis father James Wallis (abt 1842 in Brixton, Surrey - Jun 1898 in Hendon, Middlesex) who married Sarah Matilda Norris on 5 Feb 1872, gives his father as William Wallis, occupation – Builder. His baptism on 2 Jun 1841 also records them as his parents. James is shown as a Master Builder at 13 Streatham Place (1881) and as a Builder at 42 Streatham Place (1891).

I can only find his father - William Wallis (abt 1805 in Surrey - ???) and Sarah (abt 1806 in Surrey - ???) at New Park Road in 1871 where he is a Bricklayer.

I have also found a John Wallis (abt 1805 in Reigate, Surrey - abt 1865) married to Susan Cole    (abt 1806 in Lambeth, Brixton, London - 1879 in Lambeth, Brixton, London). He was a Bricklayer in Lambeth in 1851 and his eldest son was James (abt 1844 in Brixton, Surrey).

If anyone can assist me in confirming information on Wallis brothers and their families and if any information exists on the Wallis forefathers as builders, I would be grateful.
Regards
Bobfilm  :)
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find Thomas Wallis - Architect - family connections
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 September 13 01:42 BST (UK) »
No help so far?
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 September 13 08:24 BST (UK) »
I have reference in the book – ‘Form and Fancy: Factories and Factory Buildings by Wallis, Gilbert and Partners, 1916-39 by Joan Skinner that Thomas Wallis married on 4 Oct 1899 at Christ Church, Streatham, his first cousin Edith Elizabeth Wallis (abt 1875 in Balham, Surrey – 5 Nov 1946 in Worthing), the daughter of James Wallis (Master Builder) and Sarah (nee Norris) of 42 Streatham Place. It says that the respective fathers of Thomas and Edith were brothers and the sons of Thomas Wallis and his wife Charlotte (nee Copling).

If I were you I would ignore the book! ;D
The book isn't a genealogical reference, and mistakes may (probably) have been made.

E.G. I have found at least 3 James Wallis, born c1842 in Brixton! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jimb366

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 October 13 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Thomas James Wallis (abt 1841 in Norwood, Surrey - ) married to Sarah Ann Hinslea (abt 1838 in Sheffield, Yorkshire - 1898 in Lambeth, Surrey). He was a Bricklayer, later a Builder and Grocer in Norwood, Lambeth, London.

I am researching what I think is his second wife Hetty Mills, born abt 1876 in Ramsgate, Kent, England. The couple lived at "Nutshell" Knights Hill Road, Norwood. He was 60 and she was 23 when they married in 1899.

Am I right?

Offline Rosaryhippo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 July 18 07:25 BST (UK) »
My great aunt Doris, was his 2nd wife.
Linda