Author Topic: Urquhart/Bain families  (Read 9766 times)

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Urquhart/Bain families
« on: Sunday 15 September 13 06:10 BST (UK) »
I am trying to track down my Urquhart / Bain ancestors. My great grandmother, Margaret Urquhart married John Mackintosh in Nairn on 13 December 1861. Her parents are given as John Urquhart, stone quarrier, and Emily Bain. One of the witnesses is William Bain. She died in 1912 & her father is again given as John Urquhart, Crofter, deceased & her mother as Emily nee Bain, deceased.
I have found a death cert for John Urquhart in 1892 (aged 92), widower of Emily Bain, but cannot find a death cert for Emily. (His parents are given as Alexander Urquhart & Grace Boyd)

I have had trouble trying to find birth for Margaret, but think I have found it on Family Search, with father John Urquhart, mother Amelia Bain for 20 May 1841.
Other children to this couple are Jane, b 9 Feb 1829; Sarach, b 1 Mar 1831; Grace, b 12 July 1832; Amelia, b 14 Sept 1834; William, b 11 Apr 1836; Alexander b 12 July 1843; Agnes, b 3 July 1845 & John, b 7 Mar 1847 (d 1867)

i thought I found John Urquhart's father's death in 1868, but it turned out to be Alexander Urquhart, 3 year old illegitimate son of Grace Urquhart, of Delnies, Nairn. The death was registered by his grandfather, John Urquhart. (Johns own address on his death cert was Newlands of Delnies, Nairn.

I'm hoping someone can give me a clue as to what to do next - I've searched for death cert for Amelia Urquhart nee Bain with as little luck as for Emily. She was not listed as deceased when Margaret married in 1861.
Am I right in thinking that Emily and Amelia are probably the same person?
Any advice welcome.
Janice

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Urquhart/Bain families
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 September 13 08:24 BST (UK) »
I would look at the Nairn entry, 1875, age 68 (b 1807) Amelia Bain nee Urquhart.

Regards

Malky

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 September 13 08:35 BST (UK) »
Two useful sites are Libindx, which allows you to search for people from the Nairn/Moray area, and FreeCEN, which gives transcriptions of some censuses. Using these and FamilySearch, I have come up with the following:

The Libindx site gives the death of your John Urquhart in 1892. His age is given as 92.

FreeCEN shows the family at Cuthbertown of Delnies in the 1851 census -

John Urquhart, 47, born Alness, Ross and Cromarty, ag. lab.
"Amelia", 45, born Kiltearn, Ross and Cromarty
Mary, 24, born Kiltearn
Alexander, 7, born Nairn,
Agnes,5, born Nairn,
John, 4, born Nairn.

Since we now have a birthplace for John, FamilySearch shows a John Urquhart baptised 10-1-1801 in Alness to Alexander Urquhart and his wife, "Girsel Boid".

Girsel or Grisel are older Scottish forms of Grace, as Aemilia, Amelia, Emily etc. are alternatives.

FamilySearch shows a marriage for Alexander Urquhart and "Grace Boyd" at Alness on 21-11-1789. This may be the date the couple were "booked", rather than the day of marriage itself.

You should see the entries on the ScotlandsPeople site. It is the official pay to view site run by the government and allows to see the actual entries, not transcriptions. It is not so very expensive if you know exact details, as the ones above. The actual entries will perhaps give exact addresses, witnesses to baptisms etc.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 September 13 08:49 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch is also showing Alexander Urquhart and Grace Boyd with the following children:

Duncan (1804), Lizy (1806), Alexander (1809), Charles (1812).

Charles recorded in Rosskeen, the others in Alness.

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 September 13 09:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Malky & GR2, I've down loaded the death cert you suggested (wouldn't have found it alone)
Amelia Urquhart died 13 Oct 1875  aged 68- looks like Western Delnies; married to John Urquhart, farmer. her father was William Bain, farmer, deceased & mother Isabella Bain, maiden surname Urquhart!  Perhaps there were some cousins marrying.
Will see if I can navigate this Libindx site.
Janice

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 September 13 10:37 BST (UK) »
Oops - have I made a mistake? I've looked at census records on Freecen, but can't find Margaret Urquhart living with the family!
I've downloaded her birth cert , born 20th May 1841 & bapt 11 June, lawful daughter of John Urquhart, labourer of Kildrummie, and Emelia Bain, his wife.
Any ideas?
janice

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 September 13 13:32 BST (UK) »
John & Emelia Urquhart living at Little Kildrummie Nairn have a female NOT KNOWN age 14 days ,
1841 Census transcription freeCEN.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Ozcaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 September 13 01:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks ev,
I didn't pick up on that before. She still doesn't appear on any of the other censuses as living with the family - a few possible/probables living elsewhere as a servant.
janice

Offline vicbain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 September 16 00:07 BST (UK) »
Are you still looking for info on this line, I think Amelia Bain is my 4th great-grandfathers sister. Their parents were William Bain and Isobel Urquhart.  Amelia is mispelt on some documents as Emelia and Isobel is referred to as Isabella.  I've listed the siblings on my blog.   https://ourscottishclan.wordpress.com/2016/09/14/our-bain-line-the-missing-links/