Author Topic: Ramsey PR lookup needed - Hanchor & Ibberson  (Read 8668 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Ramsey PR lookup needed - Hanchor & Ibberson
« on: Sunday 15 September 13 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters,

Trying at present to sort out one of my Huntingdonshire/Cambridgeshire families.....but have been finding it hard to locate parish registers for baptisms in Ramsey, Huntingdonshire to answer some queries....any help would be great  ;)

I descend from the family of Mary Ibberson and Joseph Tubbs who married in 1803 in nearby Doddington, Cambridgeshire

6 Oct 1803 - Joseph TUBBS bachelor of Chatteris & Mary IBBERSON spinster OTP by licence
Witnesses: Isaac Ibberson, J Heaps

I have loads of information on the Tubbs family, and on the many children of Joseph and Mary, but I would like to confirm a few links back a generation or so for Mary Ibberson's family.

Mary Ibberson is the daughter of Francis Ibberson and Margaret Hanchor. Her parents were married on 23 Dec 1773 at Ramsey, Huntingdonshire. Francis is described as 'of Doddington' at the time of the marriage.

They had at least 8 children of which I am aware, and Francis Ibberson's will in 1821 describes him at the time as Francis Ibberson, the elder, of Benwick in the Isle of Ely, Cambridgeshire

The children are listed in the will as:

Sons: Isaac, Henry, John & Francis
Daughters: Margaret (wife of Charles Leeds), Ann, deceased daughter Mary (wife of Joseph Tubbs of Suffolk), deceased daughter Carrina (wife of James Jones of Isle of Ely Farmer)

But I have not been able to find baptisms for any of the children to date  :-\

I think I have located Margaret Ibberson (nee Hanchor)'s burial in Ramsey on 22 May 1815, aged 60yrs.

I suspect the children were born in either Ramsey or Doddington or Benwick.....

Francis Ibberson is described in vaious documents as living in all of the above towns at various times:

1774 - Francis Ibberson of Doddington (married in Ramsey)
1786 - Frans Ibberson of Ramsey buries son Frans?
1786 - Francis Ibberson of Benwick, yeoman
1815 - Ibberson, Francis Sen., late of Ramsey, but now of Benwick in the Isle of Ely
1820 - Francis Ibberson of Benwick in the parish of Doddington, gent

If Margaret Ibberson (nee Hanchor)'s burial is right...she married aged 18yrs. So the children are likely to have been born between 1774 and possibly the late 1790's

I am also interested in any references to the name Hanchor/Anchor/Anker or other derivatives.

Francis Ibberson's brother John Ibberson of Ramsey, Huntingdonshire also married a Hanchor.

John Ibberson married Mary Hanchor on 14 Nov 1768 at Ramsey.

Mary Hanchor is listed in some records as being the daughter of Isaac Hanchor of Ramsey. I suspect that Mary and Margaret Hanchor may have been sisters, but I have not found either of their baptisms as yet...or any real reference to Isaac Hanchor/Anker/Anchor.

John Ibberson and Mary Hanchor had 5 children (Mary, Carrina, Sarah, Isaac & Elizabeth) between 1772 and 1781 while living in Ramsey, but they were all baptised at the Baptist Meeting House in Bluntisham, Huntingdonshire. I cannot find any of Francis and Margaret's children at this church though  :-\

Mary Hanchor (nee Ibberson) was buried in Ramsey in 1782, but no age was given.

I suspect the Hanchor girls were born in the 1750's

I would also be interested in whether Francis Ibberson's baptism could be found. His parents were Francis Ibberson and Carrina Overall who married on 24 March 1743/44 at Ramsey. They both died in Ramsey, Francis in 1780 and Carrina in 1791, so I suspect all their children would have been born there.

Francis Ibberson's will in 1780 describes him as Francis Ibberson of Forty Foot Bridge, Ramsey, Huntingdonshire, gent. And gives his family as below:

Sons: Francis, Henry and John (eldest)
Daughter: Carrina (wife of John Bowker of Cannon Street, London)
Wife: Carrina
Grandson: Francis Hemmington, son of John Hemmington and deceased daughter Margaret

It would be great if some of these names show up in the Ramsey parish registers!!! I have found marriages, burials and wills but no baptisms to date  :-\

Thanks so much

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ramsey PR lookup needed - Hanchor & Ibberson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 September 13 15:38 BST (UK) »
Ramsey baptisms aren't available online, but a transcript is available from Hunts FHS. At least one person on this board has this transcript so perhaps she'll see your post
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 September 13 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks, fingers crossed  ;)
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 September 13 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hello this is all I could find at Ramsey bapt
10.6.1849 george son abraham and mary ann.ibberson, farmer at pondersbridge ramsey.Margaret.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 September 13 09:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking Margaret....I wonder where they are baptised then??

Are there any Baptist or Dissenting Churches that I should check other than Bluntisham?

Francis Ibberson's daughter Ann Ibberson married John Allen Jarvis, dissenting minister, late of Ramsey, then Bretby, Derbyshire, in December 1821.

Perhaps they were all Baptist??

I am guessing that there was no mention of the Hanchor's either?

Jenny

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 September 13 10:08 BST (UK) »
There is a comment with the burial of Margaret Ibberson at Ramsey in 1815 "no ceremony performed she being a dissenter".

In case it is of interest Isaac Ibberson bac of Benwicke married Elizabeth Ulyat sp otp by licence at Parsons Drove on 25 November 1806.  Wits: Alice Sargant and Wm Marshall.

Selina

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 September 13 11:07 BST (UK) »
How interesting Selina, thanks for the burial comment  :)

I had wondered if they were dissenters why they married and were buried at the Parish Church, but I suspose maybe it wasn't legal if they didn't...is this right?

I have quite a few marriages at Ramsey and Doddington Parish Churches, and some surrounding parished for the families I am researching (Isaac Ibberson and Elizabeth Ulyat being one of them), but no baptisms.....

Curious  ::)

Jenny

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 September 13 12:18 BST (UK) »
The 1753 Hardwicke Marriage Act stipulated that marriages had to take place in a licenced Anglican parish church, the only exemptions from this law being Jews and Quakers.

So from 1754 to 1837 marriages had to take place in the Church of England.  There was no similar law regarding burials. If the dissenting church had its own burial ground the deceased could be buried there, or in the Church of England, who couldn't refuse to bury anyone.

Often the only hope of tracing non-conformists, especially baptists who don't do infant baptisms, is through marriage and burial records in the established church

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 September 13 12:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks David, that makes sense.

So they couldn't refuse to bury anyone, just refuse to hold a ceremony!!  ;)

I am lucky I guess that some of the families feature in the Bluntisham Baptism records in group baptisms when they were older, and give birth dates! Francis Ibberson's brother John Ibberson's children feature as do his daughter Margaret Leeds (nee Ibberson's)...better some than none I guess...

Jenny