Author Topic: Ramsey PR lookup needed - Hanchor & Ibberson  (Read 8761 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ramsey PR lookup needed - Hanchor & Ibberson
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 September 13 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jenny,

There are mentions of Hanchor and variants in the Ramsey records.  I will send you a p.m.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 September 13 00:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Selina  ;D

I'll check them out and see if I can link them to my family  ;)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline KimBrack

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jenny, came across this post when searching Overall and Ibberson. John Allen Jarvis and Anne Ibberson are my paternal 2x Great Grandparents. I'm afraid I've not had much luck either with parish records although I have obtained several records via Huntingdon's family history service, including a copy of the will of Francis Ibberson. It's a long time since I last looked into our family history but intend revisiting the family tree in the coming year. It would be good to be in touch with another researcher into that side of the family. 

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 December 17 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi KimBrack,

Thanks for your message and welcome to Rootschat! Always lovely to touch base with a relllie and fellow researcher  ;)

Which of John Allen Jervis & Ann Ibberson's children do you descend from? I believe that they had 7  but only two survived childhood. Is it William Henry Overall Jervis, b abt 1833? Also, do you have the last name as Jervis or Jarvis? I have seen both recorded but Jervis seems to be the most commonly used.

I would love to exchange info. I have done some more research on this family since 2013, but alas baptisms still elude me for most of the family....luckily they left other records!!

I will send you a PM with my e-mail address, I look forward to hearing from you  :)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 December 17 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jen, phew this imfo is a lot to get my teeth into, many many names, but I do not want to repeat myself, only option is is to contact me on     margaret_long@ntlworld.com  and give me one NAME at a time, thanks.Margaret.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 December 17 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

I will send you an e-mail now, are you able to look up the Ramsey parish registers for me? Thanks so much for the offer  ;)

Jenny

Offline FULOFLOVE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 August 21 17:34 BST (UK) »
Your Ibbersons etc were likely NOT baptised at all as babies, more likely much later as Baptist Church doctrine demands. Furthermore, due in part to fear of persecution, many baptist chapels failed to register folk, and even if they did, such registers were not always kept safely. Such is true of the baptist church at Great Whyte in Ramsey, which was certainly opertional in the later part of the 18thC, my ancestor, Samuel Fullilove, ran it from c1765 until his death in 1798. Other Ibbersons also seen here. No registers survive from that period for Great Whyte. Researchers looking in Bluntisham are luckier, but note the usual delay between given birth dates and registrations. Also note that many recorded therein were from Ramsey, a goodly walk! Marriages are different, it was the law that you could only be married in a CofE church and most, but not all dissenters obeyed. Burials not so, but few chapels had their own burial grounds, so the parish church was the default. Other history pertains as does the lack of clarity in the specific doctrine followed by each baptist chapel, Strict, Particular, General, etc. Minister-led choices I feel. No doubt this is why not all baptists in Ramsey attended the chapel at Great Whyte. Likewise it maybe explains why there are two baptist chapels in Ramsey, a relativle small town, Great Whyte and Salem, Roderick Fullilove

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 July 23 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Roderick,

So sorry I didn't see your message back in 2021, thanks for the extra information.

I have since discovered that my Ibberson's married into the Fullilove family....so we are in a way connected. Samuel Fullilove & Elizabeth Waters' daughter Sarah (b 1765) married Henry Ibberson in Ramsey on 5 Sep 1782. Henry was the son of Francis Ibberson & Carina Overall. I descend from Henry's younger brother Francis Ibberson (as per this thread).

While there may be no baptism records for my Ibberson/Hanchor/Overall family, the birth dates of the Fullilove family are featured in a family bible (which I am sure you aware of - see extract below). Lucky you! Which child do you descend from?

https://archive.org/details/fragmentagenealo12cris/page/90/mode/2up?q=fullilove

Fragmenta genealogica, Vol XII
by Frederick Arthur Crisp
Printed at the Private Press if Frederick Arthur Crisp 1906

Entries in Bibles, &c. Fullilove p91
The Children of Saml & Elizabeth Fullilove.
Sarah Ann Born April 1761.
Elizabeth Was Born Fabruary 23d 1762 at 6 at Night.
Samuel Was Born Sept 30 at one o'th Clock in ye Morning 1763.
Sarah Was Born July 9th 1765 at one oth Clock in ye Day.
Jonathan was Born Decmbr 21, 1766 at Eleven o'th Clock at Night.
Sarah an Died in her Infacy.
Elizabeth Died March 23, 1769.
Elizabeth the Wife of Sam Fullilove Died Octob 14, 1780. Let not your heart be troubled, her funeral text by ye Reverend Mr Thos Ladson of Needingworth.

Sam Fullilove & Elizabeth his Second Wife maried the 30 of Sepr 1782.
Joseph Fullilove their Son was born July 26th 1783 at Fifteen Minutes after Eleven in the Morning.

From a Bible, "Imprinted at London, by the Deputies of Christopher Barker, Printer to the Queenes most excellent Maiestie. 1599. Cum privilegio ;" in my possession. — F. A. C.

I am intrigued...Do any records exist from the Great Whyte Baptist Church? If so, what years are covered? I presume as the Ibberson's married into the Fullilove family, they likely attended Great Whyte.

Jenny

Offline FULOFLOVE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 July 23 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen, yep let's reconnect and see what we can figure.

I have a copy of Fragmenta Genealogica XII - no 100 out of a limited print run of 100. It is facinating. Also, I am in touch with the grandson of Frederick Arthur Crisp at his former home in Norfolk, trying to track down the actual bible.

I think the daughter of Henry Ibberson and Sarah Fullilove, Elizabeth, married a Francis Ibberson. I also suspect Sarah died in childbirth - it certainly appears she and Henry had no further children.

I have often visited the Baptist chapel in Great Whyte and chatted with the pastor. There's an Ibberson plaque on the wall there and a big mermorial stone to Samual Fullilove in the entrance. The deeds to the rebuilt chapel (1805) reveal the Ibbersons (and the Saunders) pratically owned that chapel. I am in the process of witing that chapel's history. There are no registers from 1765-1805.

I'm decsended from Jonathon Fullilove, fishmonger of Croydon, 1788-1841. He was a son (or grandson) of Samuel. Annoying that Fragmenta does now reveal which, only that Samuel and Jonathon both possessed that bible - Sam 1763-98, Jonathan 1815-41

Looking for any info on CofE sponsored draftees into the Cambridgeshire Milita, c1801 thru 1810, and again in c1850. I think it likely that the sons of Samuel were pushed into the army following Samuel's death as soon as they reached 18. First Joseph born 1783, in 1801, then Jonathon born 1788, in 1806. They were poor non-conformist boys without any trade or apprentishship, hence they were ripe for the bigots in the CofE to push them beyond the reach of poor law relief. Their mother, Elizabeth II nee Fox was likely maintained by the chapel.

I think it likely that Samuel was buried in the chapel's yard and the exact site of the grave was lost when the chapel was rebuilt in 1805..... deeds and other documents pertain.

My main interest remains Samual & Jonathon and their doings.

I have nice charts for the Fulliloves 1487-2023, soon to be published as THEN & BACK

Roderick