Author Topic: Error with Canada, British Army Reg. Rolls? (1835)  (Read 6369 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Error with Canada, British Army Reg. Rolls? (1835)
« on: Sunday 15 September 13 19:57 BST (UK) »
Partial list of Parish Inishmacsaint baptisms - 1800-1820
23 June 1811 - John, son of Wm. Ovens and Elizth (Stinson), Townland: Corclune (Corcloon)
We are almost certain the above baptism is for my ancestor, John Ovens.  My ancestor eventually settled in Toronto, Canada.

Canada, British (Army) Regimental Rolls
Ovens, John, attestation date: 5 March 1829, where born: Parish Inishmacsaint*, age at enlistment: 18.
General Observation:  Died 26 Oct 1835.
*While the word isn't clear, it appears to be Inishmacsaint

Is is possible that an error was made on the regimental roll and John Ovens deserted, rather than died? (Were errors ever made, or were records fairly perfect?)  I have not yet found another John Ovens, born c1811 in Inishmacsaint and I am now wondering if the baptism is not for my ancestor.  Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thank you,
Lisa

PS  There were at least two John Ovens in Fermanagh who were in the military; they are possibly related to my John Ovens.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Error with Canada, British Army Reg. Rolls? (1835)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 September 13 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Can you give the WO reference to the page you have found on Ancestry? And also copy and paste the address (url/link) to it?

Thanks

Ken

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 September 13 01:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken:

Thank you for your interest.

He actually is listed as
John Ovens, born c1811
Birthplace: South Walkins, Fermanagh
Attestation Date: 5 March 1829, Enmskillen, regimental number 679
Apologies for not stating in my first post that the actual image (I believe!) has different information than the above.

I will try to find the information you are requesting.  Thank you again for your interest.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 September 13 01:57 BST (UK) »
The WO appears to be 67.  (I am new to the worldwide subscription on the site, and my knowledge of the records is limited.)   :-[

Update:  National Archives of the UK: WO 67; Piece Number: 7-9
WO 67/7-20 from the Depot Description Books, War Office

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 September 13 10:46 BST (UK) »
I cannot see a deserter staying in  the British empire without changing his name.

Does the record give his regiment?

Ken

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 September 13 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken:

I don't see any reference to a regiment on the actual page that lists John Ovens, but the reference above the image shows:
"(Volume 7-9) 48th Foot, 17th Foot 1st Battn"

I didn't think about a man having to change his name; good point.

Our John Ovens has been extremely elusive.  We first tried to find out more about him about 40 years ago, when my family visited Ireland.  While we were in Ireland, my mum found whom we believe to be a distant relative, only to find out about 10 years ago that this lady was actually related to the two other John Ovens (who were in the military).

Since purchasing a computer years ago, I've been trying to find out more about John Ovens, hoping to find his parents and grandparents.
We believe his parents were William Ovens and Elizabeth Stinson and was possibly baptised 23 June 1811 in the Parish of Inishmacsaint, town Corcloon/Corclune.  He may have had siblings Alexr. and Anne.
Our John Ovens was born c1809 (his age varies on documents).  My mum remembers seeing a family bible when she was a child that references County Fermanagh, Ireland.
He married Jane Wakefield in New Jersey, USA in 1842.
In 1850, he was living in Newark East Ward, Essex County, New Jersey and was a teacher.
C1852 (I don't have the exact date at the moment) he and his wife and children had settled in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and remained there until his death in 1885.  He owned a "fancy goods" shop.  His wife remained in Toronto until her death in 1928 (she was 105 years old).
1880 Toronto census:  John Ovens, his wife and children and Jennie Stinson, age 20, born Ontario.  We don't know why Jennie was living with the Ovens and her connection to them, but after someone kindly found the baptism for a John Ovens in Inishmacsaint with the mother Elizabeth Stinson, we had thought it possible that the baptism was for our John Ovens.

We don't know anything about his life prior to 1842.  I believe I've included all of the pertinent facts about our John Ovens.   :)  Thank you again for your continued interest.

Lisa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 November 14 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello:

I am still trying to find out more about John Ovens and his possible death in 1835.

Canada, British (Army) Regimental Rolls
Ovens, John, attestation date: 5 March 1829, where born: Parish Inishmacsaint*, age at enlistment: 18.
General Observation:  Died 26 Oct 1835.
*While the word isn't clear, it appears to be Inishmacsaint
     He actually is listed as:
     John Ovens, born c1811
     Birthplace: South Walkins, Fermanagh
     Attestation Date: 5 March 1829, Enmskillen, regimental number 679

Is is possible that an error was made on the regimental roll and John Ovens deserted, rather than died? (Were errors ever made, or were records fairly perfect?)  I have not yet found another John Ovens, born c1811 in Inishmacsaint and I am now wondering if the baptism is not for my ancestor.  Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

I've tried searching for British Army records to find additional information about this John Ovens and either have not yet found the records, or they are not available.  I also tried looking for individuals who were shown above and below Ovens' name (also recorded as died), to see if they did die, or if they deserted, and cannot find any trace of them.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.  Apologies for bringing up this topic again, but I am hoping someone might be able to help, as we've been trying for decades to find information about our John Ovens.  Thank you, Lisa  :)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 December 14 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

I have the muster book for the 17th Foot for 1929 and he is not listed. I have others covering his service (but all) and I cannot find him.

Can you find the online page again and copy the url/address in the top left to a post or PM.

thanks

Ken

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 December 14 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken:

Thank you for your interest.  I've sent what I believe you asked for; I hope it is what you need.

Thank you,
Lisa